"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hellofresh.ca

Has anyone ever used this service before? I think it's a little pricey but I am super curious. We both work full time and supper is always a challenge. Wonder if it's worth trying??

Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Head Chef

There are a number of such companies in my area.. (Central Ca. )

I've been curious but, have yet to try the service..Interested in replies from those who have..

Old 03-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Well if you are too lazy to go to the grocery store this might be for you, but it is more expensive than getting food at the local grocery store.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Head Chef

I don't believe that 'too lazy' has anything to do with whether or not a person is curious about or interested in trying something they have not experienced before..
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Not laziness, just the next step towards food replicators.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Well if you are too lazy to go to the grocery store this might be for you, but it is more expensive than getting food at the local grocery store.
I think its target market is for dual-income families with limited time or new cooks wanting to explore different dishes but hesitant to try and compose a meal on their own. In either case, it would be a sensible option for people like that. Many grocery stores now offer entree and side dishes that are prepped and ready for popping into the oven or on top of the stove/in the microwave. In the case of those prepped meals from the grocery store, the price point would be comparable to a delivered meal service (Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Plated, etc). If this same power couple were to dine out or carry in every night, it would probably cost even more than one of these services.

It can be practical for those who need it. For most of us who are home cooks and like playing in the kitchen, however, it might seem impractical or frivolous. YMMV.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree, CG. For busy dual income couples and single or married parents who work, it's a neat idea. Otherwise, I prefer to do my own shopping and cooking.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

We have some friends who tried it. The food was good and the recipes were easy to follow. The kits come with a LOT of packaging. Each ingredient is in its own little bag or other container. So it's not very environmentally friendly. I can see it being useful for certain situations, but if waste is a concern for you, that's a consideration.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I just read a review of one such company. It was a professional who cooks meals for her family every day. The company asked her to try it for one week.

First off she mentioned that each meal is packaged separately. The meats are packaged between two sheets of some kind of sheets of ice. There are recipe cards with each meal. There is no wasted space filled with packaging.

Her final report to the public was, it is pricey. But for those who live very busy lives, it saves time on shopping, and planning out a menu.

The food, specially the fresh produce was fresher than what you find in your supermarket. Everything needed was there. Plenty enough to feed a family of four. And a couple of times there was leftovers that she had for lunch the next day.

All in all, she stated that it can be pricey. And if you are just too busy with life, then this may be what you need. So if you are on a fixed income, and elderly I would say "No." Elderly folks tend to eat less. They are less active, thus don't need all the food provided by these services.

If you are a family and very busy, then give it a try. You can cancel anytime. Although it wasn't mentioned in the article, I am sure that they package your choice of the foods your family will eat.

If you choose to go this route, we would love to have a review of your experience with it.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibkiss View Post
Has anyone ever used this service before? I think it's a little pricey but I am super curious. We both work full time and supper is always a challenge. Wonder if it's worth trying??
For someone like you, it's a great idea!

It's less expensive than buying the same prepared meals from a restaurant, and you get the cooking together experience in your comfy home clothes.
I have extended family members who love the service and look forward to it 3 times a week as a date night. Give it a try.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote