"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2017, 02:54 AM   #11
Head Chef

You got a high end Bosch made on a Monday or a Friday. Where there is a one in a ten chance that someone on the assembly line is looking forward to the weekend or not as sharp on a Monday (kidding). Or... a one in 10 chance a production error happened.

Doesn't load dishes easy or clean them right? Which dishwasher does?

Old 09-26-2017, 03:20 AM   #12
Master Chef

My previous KitchenAid did. Easy to load, washed dishes fine...until the control panel died. Got the Bosch because it was quiet. Until it wasn't.

I know about Monday/Friday items. We needed a car fast. Himself's sister had a Plymouth Arrow. Loved it, no issues. We bought one...and ended up with a "build on Friday afternoon, after the guys went out drinking for lunch" car.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:45 AM   #13
Head Chef

You can read negative review on any model dishwasher out there. Bosch has like...12 models of dishwashers. Some buyers may even have had the bad the luck to have bought two Bosch dishwashers and they both disappointed. Plain bad luck.

One in so many appliance products will be defective. If it happens often...then...freaky you. J/K
Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Dishrag, dish soap, sink, water...
Jeannie (like many of we older folks) grew up hand washing dishes, had no dishwasher in her long, previous marriage.. When we got together, in our 50's, she wouldn't use the dishwasher in any of the homes we had.. Our current apartment has no dishwasher and she is happily content with being our dishwasher..

Ross
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
...I said cleaning was exceptional but the dishwasher was really put to the test last week when our hot water heater went out. I'd had the dishwasher fully loaded and decided to "let 'er rip" and go ahead and run it. This appliance stood up to the challenge and did a stellar job, just as if it had had hot water...

It most probably was washing with hot water. Hot tap water isn't hot enough for a dishwasher. It takes in water at whatever temperature and heats it in the DW to the temperature it needs. then it starts to wash. If your DW has a sanitize cycle/feature, the water has to be at >160F to do the job. That's a lot hotter than hot tap water.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It most probably was washing with hot water. Hot tap water isn't hot enough for a dishwasher. It takes in water at whatever temperature and heats it in the DW to the temperature it needs. then it starts to wash. If your DW has a sanitize cycle/feature, the water has to be at >160F to do the job. That's a lot hotter than hot tap water.
Good to know, Andy. Yes, it does have a sanitize feature and it was set on it for that run of dishes. So, I guess the dishwasher is smarter than I am.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We have a lot of stoneware dishes, so they are thick. It's very difficult to load them properly. If I'm using more than three or four bowls, I have to take up vast amounts of real estate to get them in and still make sure the water can reach them. I fit far fewer items in the Bosch than I could successfully wash in my builder model Frigidaire - which was as quiet as a jumbo jet. Hence, the Bosch.
When we had to buy a new dishwasher, I took a set of my dishes to the store with me to try them out inside the dishwasher to see if they fit. (I got some really weird looks from customers and employees alike, but I take appliance buying very seriously!) I found the same issue with the Bosch; it was not made to hold thick stoneware dishes. Not much use to me if I can't put more than one meal's worth of dishes in it. I have a Whirlpool. It was one of the few that fit my dishes well, and it runs great. I've had it for 7 years with no issues.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
Wine Guy

I have no idea what your budget is or what features you're looking for. Over the years, I've had the best luck with the simplest, least expensive dishwashers. We once bought a higher-end GE dishwasher at the last house, and ended up replacing it in just over two years because it couldn't even perform simple tasks like cleaning the residue out of a coffee cup.

In March, I bought a relatively inexpensive (~$450) Kenmore that I couldn't be more pleased with. I believe it's manufactured by Frigidaire. It's the quietest dishwasher I've ever owned. When I first bought it, I even found myself walking to the kitchen a few times just to confirm it was actually running, because I couldn't hear it in the next room.

The down side is that it has very few options. The one I sort of miss is the delayed start option, because in the past I liked to set the dishwasher to run after I left for work. But that was mostly because that particular dishwasher was noisy. This one is not.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for your comments and advice. It looks like maybe our dishwasher is only half dead We have a Fisher & Paykel dish drawer. First the top drawer stopped working - it won't even turn on. Then somehow water got into it, which caused the bottom drawer to malfunction - the electronic panel beeped and blinked hysterically and it wouldn't run, so we turned it off at the electrical panel outside.

Yesterday we drained and cleaned out the top drawer and left them both open to air out. Just now, we turned the power to that part of the kitchen on; the bottom drawer seems okay but the top one still doesn't work.

So we're going to go ahead and shop for a new one but we're not under as much pressure as before Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I bought a Bosch to replace a Kenmore (whirlpool) the gave up the ghost. I'll definitely say that the Kenmore had better designed racks, but I don't really have any issues loading it up with my Fiesta dishes. I think that just before I bought mine, they redesigned the racks, because every complaint that read about the racks, I haven't experienced. I've been using it for 9 months.

One thing that I'll say, dang, this thing cleans dishes exceptionally well. We never pre rinse and stuff sits in there for a couple days and still comes out clean, even pans with stuck on rice or browned food. So far I've been really happy.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote