ISO a new dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sister-n-law and others put knives facing up in her dishwasher utensil rack. Supposedly, they clean better that way. I don't like pointy sharp things pointing up when I load my dishwasher's utensil tray. :LOL:

Last edited:
I have a Thermador dishwasher - just installed and the second one in a few years (I moved and am remodeling - again). These are really Bosch - same company and factory.

Mine is dead quiet running and does a great job cleaning. My complaint about it is similar to earlier comments - the configuration of the bottom rack is odd... my dishes don;t fit in it well - or at least not cereal bowls. The tines are too close together. Plates fit well but mine are thin and fairly flat.

I disliked this about the last one as well but since it came as an add-in with a range purchase, I'm learning to cope.

Are you certain you need to replace it?
We thought we needed to replace ours until I got off my rear end and took a good look at the machine.
Removed the racks and the pump assembly. Found a clogged screen and a worn out impeller/chopper. This part is what grinds up food particles against a screen and allows them to drain/pump away.
Ordered the two parts (under $20) replace the bad and installed the new. That was 5 years ago and it is still running great.
Best part is now I know how to take it apart and how to put it back together.

I used YouTube. You can Google your model and brand and get repair instructions.

Oh.....I have the Sept Consumer Reports magazine and they have the Kitchenaid KDTE254ESS as the best buy. $798 They also say the best time to buy is in November.
So, it looks like now is the time to start looking. With mid November being the very best time to save money.
Whirpool WDT720PADM is rated very good at $395 and buying during the same time period.
Good luck. I hope you can fix yours.

Last edited:
Thanks, RB. My husband has looked on YouTube for ideas and we were able to pull out the bottom drawer. One of the reasons the electronic display does that is supposedly because there's water in the pan, but it's dry underneath. It has a few parts inside that I remove and clean about every three months.

When I was calling repair places, the first two said they don't work on this brand because it's difficult to get parts. If it's tough for them, it's probably not much easier for us. And to be honest, I'm not crazy about this dish drawer thing anyway. Neither drawer is tall enough for platters, some of our dishes don't fit well, etc. And it's 10 years old. We don't want to put more money into a machine that isn't all that great to begin with.

I appreciate you mentioning the Consumer Reports article.

Last edited:
Thanks, RB. My husband has looked on YouTube for ideas and we were able to pull out the bottom drawer. One of the reasons the electronic display does that is supposedly because there's water in the pan, but it's dry underneath. It has a few parts inside that I remove and clean about every three months.

When I was calling repair places, the first two said they don't work on this brand because it's difficult to get parts. If it's tough for them, it's probably not much easier for us. And to be honest, I'm not crazy about this dish drawer thing anyway. Neither drawer is tall enough for platters, some of our dishes don't fit well, etc. And it's 10 years old. We don't want to put more money into a machine that isn't all that great to begin with.

I appreciate you mentioning the Consumer Reports article.

I understand. Sometimes its just not worth the time and effort. I would think 10 years is about right for a new one.

My sister-n-law and others put knives facing up in her dishwasher utensil rack. Supposedly, they clean better that way. I don't like pointy sharp things pointing up when I load my dishwasher's utensil tray. :LOL:
My wife does that. Then the dogs run through the kitchen with all the knives at eye hieght. I turn them all around with points down.

last year I bought a Whirlpool, middle of the line, to replace the original Whirlpool that lasted 16 years before the control board died. One thing I don't like is how the glasses sit in the rack. they fall over so easy. I would suggest lugging some of your common glasses to the store and see how they fit and stay upright.

We ended up getting a mid-range KitchenAid with a stainless interior. We've had it for almost a week now and it works great. Our dishes are not flat and they fit perfectly. The cutlery holder is just like the one Katie mentioned, with a lid that allows you to separate each item. The top rack is designed to prevent the glasses from tipping over and it's so quiet that I've leaned down to make sure it's running [emoji38]

Thanks again for all the help [emoji2]

Back
Top Bottom