"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO a new dishwasher

Our dishwasher has bitten the dust. Called a repair place today and they want minimum $190 just to visit and take a look. We'd much rather go with new.

So I'm interested in your experiences and opinions on what to look for and what to avoid. The brand doesn't matter to us; our fridge, stove and microwave are all different brands We just want something reliable. Thanks

Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

I've had a kitchenaid for 10 years and love it. It was one of their higher end models but it's lasted and works great.

Before that I had bad experiences with two Bosches

Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dishrag, dish soap, sink, water...
Old 09-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

My Bosch is 16 years old, and still works like new. I've heard good things about KitchenAide DWs, too, from several people.

CD
Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Five years ago I bought a Samsung to replace a Kenmore Elite. Liked the Kenmore much better.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Dishrag, dish soap, sink, water...
Hee hee! I've had to simplify meals lately because DH, the backup dishwasher, is not happy about the manual method When he wants a new machine, I don't argue
Old 09-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hee hee! I've had to simplify meals lately because DH, the backup dishwasher, is not happy about the manual method When he wants a new machine, I don't argue
I got a new vacuum cleaner that way once...just waited till the Ogre decided to use it. I had a new one that afternoon.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
At the end of January we replaced our old limping dishwasher with a Maytag model MDB4949SDH3. We couldn't be more pleased.

The first load of dishes looked brand new and we thought the old one was doing a great job. Guess we really did need to replace it.

Installation was a breeze. No hiccups, no confusing directions. Perfect.

The inside is stainless steel, there are multiple spray stations/arms, the utensil basket is large and allows an option for separating individual pieces via the use of a sectioned lid, and the racks are not coated metal tines so no problem with the coating wearing off leaving dishes at the risk of getting rust damage.

It's amazingly quiet. I've been used to having dishwashers that drown out the TV in the next room. I can stand next to this one and barely hear it.

I said cleaning was exceptional but the dishwasher was really put to the test last week when our hot water heater went out. I'd had the dishwasher fully loaded and decided to "let 'er rip" and go ahead and run it. This appliance stood up to the challenge and did a stellar job, just as if it had had hot water.

We've had it now for nearly 10 months and it has performed in a stellar manner regardless of what we throw at it. Gooey, sticky, stuck-on stuff...you name it, it's cleaned everything to spotless perfection.

I did a lot of research before choosing this dishwasher. My last bit of information that would help me make the right choice was to run all my choices by a friend who has sold and repaired appliances for over 40 years and owns an appliance store that is over 100-years-old.

I trusted Robert and had known him from the time he was 6 weeks old.

I had whittled it down to a Bosch or Maytag. He told me immediately that the best of the two was Maytag. That, in recent years, Bosch has had a poor performance record and repair problems.

The Maytag, he said, was absolutely the best of the best on today's market and praised me for my sleuthing.

In the end, we spent less than $500, including tax, on this purchase.

We were originally going to buy it at Lowe's because they were having a sale and Glenn could use his military discount to further reduce the price.

I decided to call my friend back and see if he could do any better or match Lowe's price.

Yep, Robert came through with less than a $50 profit. He's who we call when we need appliance repairs we can't handle ourselves. Even though his business is about an hour away, he always comes when we call and never charges an extra fee for the distance. Guess that's why his family has had the business for over a century.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
Head Chef

It's amazing the difference in sound between a basic low cost dishwasher like Home Depot sells (GE seems to be the fave) and higher priced dishwashers (Bosch) where you literally can't tell they're running. My current cheapo GE basic dishwasher sounds like Niagra Falls when it's running and the water inlet solenoid makes a sudden sound so loud that it startles me.

Sound should be a consideration if your kitchen is in close proximity to your living area. I have to turn up my TV a little when my noisy inexpensive GE is running. Reliability wise, most dishwashers don't go bad very often.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
...Before that I had bad experiences with two Bosches
I hate my Bosch. Despise my Bosch. I really, REALLY do not like it at all.

We have a lot of stoneware dishes, so they are thick. It's very difficult to load them properly. If I'm using more than three or four bowls, I have to take up vast amounts of real estate to get them in and still make sure the water can reach them. I fit far fewer items in the Bosch than I could successfully wash in my builder model Frigidaire - which was as quiet as a jumbo jet. Hence, the Bosch.

In the beginning it was whisper-quiet. Close to the end of the factory warranty, the volume began to increase. First, they had a hard time finding someone to service it out here in the wilderness. Then, the repairman messed something up (it's been a while - I don't remember details) and I needed to have them come back out. Once again, close to the end of the extended warranty (maybe three year extension? So it was a 4-year-old machine), I thought I heard the noise starting up again, but wasn't sure if it was real or my imagination. Then I didn't hear noise...until a few months after the extended warranty went belly-up. Heck with it, I'll wait until the Bosch goes belly-up and replace it with one like Katie's! That is, unless we get out of Dodge before things break.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote