KFC Double Down Sandwich review.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Okay so I tried out the 5 buck limited time only sandwich:pig::chef:

What KFC shows on the menu board and store is the meaty side of the sandwich, but the other end that is not so meaty. I do think the one in picture is a bit bigger than one you actually get.

This one had the breading on it and I had to wait like 6 minutes for more chicken to get cooked.

What you got was two breaded pieces of chicken breasts, some bacon, some cheese, and some sauce on it.

What you also got was a sandwich with 1380 mgs of sodium, 540 calories, 32 grams of fat, and 145 mgs of cholesterol says the KFC website.

Looking at sandwiches from say Wendys and McDonalds with only one piece of chicken we can cut the fat grams down in half get at least 66% less mgs of cholesterol.

The bunless sandwich was not bad tasting though. Had a good flavor.

The price to seems okay for what you get, but it is pricey.

The nutritional value for this sandwich is the major downside for me.

I am going to give this fast food item a medium sized thumbs up, but I say skip it because you are not really missing that much. Even if you went with the bun and only one chicken breast the sandwich is not special.

Ok Kleenex call me a food snob, but I DO NOT eat any kind of fast food in any way, shape, or form...

It reeks havic on every inside part of my body, and aside from convienence, I think why...

Can someone tell me?? :ermm::ermm::ermm:

...I think why...Can someone tell me?? :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Because sometimes that's what tastes good, is convenient, quick or nearby. No one is suggesting it should be a major part of your diet but sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered. No, not that. It's just what hits the spot. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I confess to being a little addicted to the Colonel's extra crispy. I've never ordered any of their sandwiches. I just can't get past a plain old three piece dinner.

as bad as it is for you, once in a while, you just gotta have it. i talking about maybe twice a year. there is one just down the road from me. that does make it harder not to buy.

I am a big fan of of the Colonel's extra crispy dinners too. It may not be the best fried chicken in the world, but it's really good.

I love KFC extra cripsy too, and their cole slaw! YUM. I'm also a big believer in "everything in moderation" but, I'm sorry, that sandwich just seems so so wrong..

Well for one thing, you don't go to a FF rest. expecting nutrition.:LOL:

Not a big KFC fan, but this would be worth try'n, imho.

Their slaw is great! I got a recipe that I have made a few times and it does taste almost exactly like it. Slaw like KFC/LJS is great w/"crunchies" in it, order extra crispies at Ljs and mix w/the slaw. It's goooood stuff.

i've found the fried chicken at kfc, popeyes, and many chinese take out joints can be anywhere from very good to disgusting and greasy, all in the same day. it's all about timing.
if you get it when the oil in the fryer is new and the chicken is cooked once through, then served immediately, it's a thing of beauty. crispy, juicy, and delicious.

but after a few billion pieces of chicken have gone through the day old oil, and then it sits under heating lamps for an hour or two before being served, it ends up a greasy mess that's barely edible.

i mentioned chinese take out because i've seen their daily practice of par frying a large bunch of half chickens, then setting them aside in an unheated bin until someone orders them. they're tossed back into the fryer to finish cooking, which can taste nasty. fuggedabout the extra oil that get sucked into the breading/coating. yuk.

jmho. :)

...that sandwich just seems so so wrong..

A three piece dinner is OK but a two piece sandwich is "so so wrong"? I don't get it. You eat less chicken with the sandwich than with the meal.

Think of it as a two piece dinner with bacon and cheese as sides. You can add cole slaw if you want.

A three piece dinner is OK but a two piece sandwich is "so so wrong"? I don't get it. You eat less chicken with the sandwich than with the meal.

Think of it as a two piece dinner with bacon and cheese as sides. You can add cole slaw if you want.

Andy, remember that when a person goes to a FF rest. nutrition and value are the least concern.:LOL: A $1 cheese burger usually TASTES like a $1 cheese burger.:LOL:

Andy, remember that when a person goes to a FF rest. nutrition and value are the least concern.:LOL: A $1 cheese burger usually TASTES like a $1 cheese burger.:LOL:

I realize that, BigAl. I was just addressing Dave's concern.

Buckytom, I don't eat KFC very often (not one in my town), but when I did live in larger communities that had several outlets, I also found that the neighborhood where you bought the KFC mattered, as well as the time of day. Ironically (or not so), the poorer neighborhoods had the better KFC. I'm not sure what that means. But in Hawaii, Virginia, and Florida, in the times where we lived in those locations, we lived "in between" and could go pick up carry-out at a neighborhood more poor than ours, or one much more upscale, and the former had much better quality; better crust, etc.

I, like some mentioned, am not that big a sandwich eater. Yes, I get the point of eating two pieces on bun isn't any worse than eating two pieces with potatoes or biscuits or corn, but it just seems like too much to stuff between bread. Part of it is just me .... I'd buy the two pieces and skip the other starch, the batter/breading on the chicken is enough for me. Another thing is I have a problem some don't. Mom and husband say I take after Dad ... sandwiches fall apart before I've gotten three bites in. So, since I only get fried chicken a few times a year, and KFC only every year or three, I'll stick to the chicken pieces!

Andy, It is just the idea of making an "eat-as-you-go sandwich" with the breaded/fried chicken replacing the bun. For some reason it just doesn't seem right to me.... I can't really explain it any other way..

It just looks nasty. Inspires me to make a better bun-less 2 thin-fried chicken breast filet cutlet sandwich with more fixins tween.

Another factor is whether you've ever been poisoned by KFC. You will. It's statistical. Hopefully a mild infection. I think I'll try order one before my luck kicks my gut again....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom