"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi G. Koullias View Post
I'm sure it tastes divine, especially on an empty tum and you're on the road in the pouring rain and starving hungry. But sorry, I don't give thumbs up. That pressed pork piece is MRM: Mechanically Reprocessed Meat.

Have you ever seen MRM being made? I hope not. McDonalds' food manufacturing contractors throw just about every part of the pig but its squeal into their stainless steel MRM mixers. And the thought of that puts me off any McD's for life.
That is why it is a SINFUL item to eat, since it is pork something.
__________________

__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
That is why it is a SINFUL item to eat, since it is pork something.

But I prefer a nice roasted piece of pork, crackling, apple sauce etc. beats McRib anytime. But that's why we're all different, hunny.
__________________

__________________
Poppi G. Koullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
never had one, don't think i would go out of my way to buy one. can't remember the last time i ate at mcdonalds., not since they discontinued the slim version. it was very good as i remember.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,765
ok, i found out why mrm is bad.

my god, the mcrib is disgusting!!!!!!

i bought 2 on the way home today (at $2.99 each), and got robbed.

if i was taking a blind taste test, i wouldn't have been able to determine what kind of meat it was. i'm not sure if i would have even guessed meat. it was unnaturally bland, and tasted nothing of pork. the onions, pickles, and bbq sauce are there just to give the sandwich some kind of flavour.

actually, i think i just ate soylent green. mc-soylent green.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...actually, i think i just ate soylent green. mc-soylent green.

Has anyone seen Grandma? She was here yesterday. Grandma, come home, we miss you.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
They had the nerve to try to sell these things in the late 80s in Memphis, one of the world capitals of exquisite pork BBQ. I lived there, tried one, and didn't finish it. With pickles? Make it stop!
__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
They had the nerve to try to sell these things in the late 80s in Memphis, one of the world capitals of exquisite pork BBQ. I lived there, tried one, and didn't finish it. With pickles? Make it stop!
In Memphis it is going to be a tougher sell for sure.
__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cape Coral Florida
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi G. Koullias View Post
I'm sure it tastes divine, especially on an empty tum and you're on the road in the pouring rain and starving hungry. But sorry, I don't give thumbs up. That pressed pork piece is MRM: Mechanically Reprocessed Meat.

Have you ever seen MRM being made? I hope not. McDonalds' food manufacturing contractors throw just about every part of the pig but its squeal into their stainless steel MRM mixers. And the thought of that puts me off any McD's for life.

wrong-o undeer, but on the right track
The reason it rolls out nationwide so rarely, is that it uses specific cuts of pork, not trimmings, and when they do a national roll out, it screws up the pork market pricing because all of the meat it ...takes off the market. They can afford an LTO, but year round it would get too expensive to make.
Unlike sausage which is made from trimmings, to get the texture and bind right they use primarilly pork butts and picnics. This unusual demand cycle pulls a lot out of the retail stream and into the industrial stream which drives the price of these particular cuts up during the periods they make it. Trimmings have more conenctive tissue which can cause the product to fall apart, the whole muscle primals have significantly less connective tissues so it performs better.
Also
McD's president Jan Fields states, "It doesn't sell well all year long because people get tired of it."
__________________
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
wrong-o undeer, but on the right track
The reason it rolls out nationwide so rarely, is that it uses specific cuts of pork, not trimmings, and when they do a national roll out, it screws up the pork market pricing because all of the meat it ...takes off the market. They can afford an LTO, but year round it would get too expensive to make.
Unlike sausage which is made from trimmings, to get the texture and bind right they use primarilly pork butts and picnics. This unusual demand cycle pulls a lot out of the retail stream and into the industrial stream which drives the price of these particular cuts up during the periods they make it. Trimmings have more conenctive tissue which can cause the product to fall apart, the whole muscle primals have significantly less connective tissues so it performs better.
Also
McD's president Jan Fields states, "It doesn't sell well all year long because people get tired of it."

Well... whatever floats your boat, mate.

Meanwhile, I'll happily stick to roast pork all caramalisy-brown and cracklingly fragrant out the oven, sprinkled with lovely fresh sage and thyme, served with roast potaotes, beautiful little parsnips and all the trimmings, homemade gravy poured over and delicious stewed apple on the side.

Each to their own.
__________________
Poppi G. Koullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
wrong-o undeer, but on the right track
The reason it rolls out nationwide so rarely, is that it uses specific cuts of pork, not trimmings, and when they do a national roll out, it screws up the pork market pricing because all of the meat it ...takes off the market. They can afford an LTO, but year round it would get too expensive to make.
Unlike sausage which is made from trimmings, to get the texture and bind right they use primarilly pork butts and picnics. This unusual demand cycle pulls a lot out of the retail stream and into the industrial stream which drives the price of these particular cuts up during the periods they make it. Trimmings have more conenctive tissue which can cause the product to fall apart, the whole muscle primals have significantly less connective tissues so it performs better.
Also
McD's president Jan Fields states, "It doesn't sell well all year long because people get tired of it."
That's really interesting information, Jim! I don't like the food at McD's except that sandwich, and I never fail to get at least one when they are offered. I think they are a pretty darn good sandwich, myself.
McD's vanilla iced coffee is just as good as Starbucks, and only $2.00 instead of $5.00 or more at Starbucks. I often go through the drive thru and just order that alone.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.