"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews

Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

McDonald's McRib Review!!!

Yes folks that sandwich is back nationwide for a full six weeks starting today and you just know I had to try it out....

One sandwich is only 1.99!!! A big Mac is going for 3.49 depending on the location....

The bun is like the same size as the premium chicken sandwiches so this in not some dinky little fast food item.

It includes pickles and onions which go great together.

The piece of meat is pork. Pressed pork into a special shape. I can't tell what part of the pig the meat if from though.

The pressed pork piece is put into some BBQ sauce which is very tasty.

This is a messy thing to eat and that is a good thing as well.

For me this is a very tasty item.

The item is not a healthy, good for you food item. More like a SINFUL food item.

I would like it full time on the menu, but that is never going to occur. I will not travel ten hours though like some people do just to pick one up though.

I give this fast food item a massive big thumbs up.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I always think of the Simpsons parody when I hear of the McRib, I hadn't even heard of it before that so it wasn't an exactly appetizing introduction to it. I think the animal it was made from in that episode was an extinct five (or more) legged animal.
I stopped eating mcdonalds after I lifted the bun and had a look at the meat underneath. But whatever floats people's boats!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

I had a McRib once, back in 1986, the year I got married. I remember it being just ok.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post

The piece of meat is pork. Pressed pork into a special shape. I can't tell what part of the pig the meat if from though.

The pressed pork piece is put into some BBQ sauce which is very tasty.

This is a messy thing to eat and that is a good thing as well.

For me this is a very tasty item.

The item is not a healthy, good for you food item. More like a SINFUL food item.

I would like it full time on the menu, but that is never going to occur. I will not travel ten hours though like some people do just to pick one up though.

I give this fast food item a massive big thumbs up.
I'm sure it tastes divine, especially on an empty tum and you're on the road in the pouring rain and starving hungry. But sorry, I don't give thumbs up. That pressed pork piece is MRM: Mechanically Reprocessed Meat.

Have you ever seen MRM being made? I hope not. McDonalds' food manufacturing contractors throw just about every part of the pig but its squeal into their stainless steel MRM mixers. And the thought of that puts me off any McD's for life.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I had a McRib once, back in 1986, the year I got married. I remember it being just ok.
That sounds about like when I had one. I haven't eaten at McDonalds in over twenty year.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi G. Koullias View Post
I'm sure it tastes divine, especially on an empty tum and you're on the road in the pouring rain and starving hungry. But sorry, I don't give thumbs up. That pressed pork piece is MRM: Mechanically Reprocessed Meat.

Have you ever seen MRM being made? I hope not. McDonalds' food manufacturing contractors throw just about every part of the pig but its squeal into their stainless steel MRM mixers. And the thought of that puts me off any McD's for life.
The one I had twenty some years ago was okay. It was too sweet and the texture was weird.

I'm sure I have had MRM chicken on Air Canada. It tasted weird and chemical. Then sunlight came in the window and I could see tiny bubbles in the structure of the chicken. o_0 I didn't finish that.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
Head Chef

My last McRib was in the 80's too. I remember that I wished I liked it more than I did, because it was a nifty sandwich... all the components for goodness were there...

A true tribute to processed meat and generalized flavoring!!

I plan on getting one this year, as a special 50th birthday present to self.
Hmm, no will yet, better wait... LOLOL!

Seriously, I figure its time... it's like my 25th year anniversary of having one!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi G. Koullias View Post

I am with you! That thing is gross!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The one I had twenty some years ago was okay. It was too sweet and the texture was weird.

I'm sure I have had MRM chicken on Air Canada. It tasted weird and chemical. Then sunlight came in the window and I could see tiny bubbles in the structure of the chicken. o_0 I didn't finish that.
I've seen tiny air bubbles in bits of processed chicken, and did the same. >_<

There's a strangeness about McDonalds food. If you're not hungry and happen to be walking past one of their restaurants, their cooking smells is a terrible turnoff. But if you're starving hungry, maybe stressed a little and there's nowhere else to eat, then sinking one's face into a MacRib (figuratively speaking as Ive never done so nor wish to) must be heaven on earth. A few times and only because my boy George was hungry, I've bought a Big Mac. Actually, two. He eats like a horse. :XD But McDs, they fill a market as well as tummies and somehow, cutomers come away happy.

Means to an end, really. Eat and be happy. But with MRM, sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm another one who hasn't had a mcrib since the 80's. but i remember enjoying it way back when.

of course, i'd never had a proper pulled pork sandwich back then, so my range of judgement was quite limited.

i don't know much about mechanically seperated meat, but i don't see how using every part of an animal can be bad. look at scrapple and livermush, two of my (very occasional ) favourites.

i think i'll try a mcrib or two on the way home today.

lol, on a side note, i remember when mickey d's came out with the mclean sandwich. i kept wondering why it was named after some irish guy, mclean. it was only later that i found out it was supposed to be pronounced mick-leen.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote