McDonald's McRib Review!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Yes folks that sandwich is back nationwide for a full six weeks starting today and you just know I had to try it out....

One sandwich is only 1.99!!! A big Mac is going for 3.49 depending on the location....

The bun is like the same size as the premium chicken sandwiches so this in not some dinky little fast food item.

It includes pickles and onions which go great together.

The piece of meat is pork. Pressed pork into a special shape. I can't tell what part of the pig the meat if from though.

The pressed pork piece is put into some BBQ sauce which is very tasty.

This is a messy thing to eat and that is a good thing as well.

For me this is a very tasty item.

The item is not a healthy, good for you food item. More like a SINFUL food item.

I would like it full time on the menu, but that is never going to occur. I will not travel ten hours though like some people do just to pick one up though.

I give this fast food item a massive big thumbs up.

I always think of the Simpsons parody when I hear of the McRib, I hadn't even heard of it before that so it wasn't an exactly appetizing introduction to it. I think the animal it was made from in that episode was an extinct five (or more) legged animal.
I stopped eating mcdonalds after I lifted the bun and had a look at the meat underneath. But whatever floats people's boats!:-p

The piece of meat is pork. Pressed pork into a special shape. I can't tell what part of the pig the meat if from though.

The pressed pork piece is put into some BBQ sauce which is very tasty.

This is a messy thing to eat and that is a good thing as well.

For me this is a very tasty item.

The item is not a healthy, good for you food item. More like a SINFUL food item.

I would like it full time on the menu, but that is never going to occur. I will not travel ten hours though like some people do just to pick one up though.

I give this fast food item a massive big thumbs up.

I'm sure it tastes divine, especially on an empty tum and you're on the road in the pouring rain and starving hungry. But sorry, I don't give thumbs up. That pressed pork piece is MRM: Mechanically Reprocessed Meat.

Have you ever seen MRM being made? I hope not. McDonalds' food manufacturing contractors throw just about every part of the pig but its squeal into their stainless steel MRM mixers. And the thought of that puts me off any McD's for life.

I'm sure it tastes divine, especially on an empty tum and you're on the road in the pouring rain and starving hungry. But sorry, I don't give thumbs up. That pressed pork piece is MRM: Mechanically Reprocessed Meat.

Have you ever seen MRM being made? I hope not. McDonalds' food manufacturing contractors throw just about every part of the pig but its squeal into their stainless steel MRM mixers. And the thought of that puts me off any McD's for life.

The one I had twenty some years ago was okay. It was too sweet and the texture was weird.

I'm sure I have had MRM chicken on Air Canada. It tasted weird and chemical. Then sunlight came in the window and I could see tiny bubbles in the structure of the chicken. o_0 I didn't finish that.

My last McRib was in the 80's too. I remember that I wished I liked it more than I did, because it was a nifty sandwich... all the components for goodness were there...

A true tribute to processed meat and generalized flavoring!!

I plan on getting one this year, as a special 50th birthday present to self.
Hmm, no will yet, better wait... LOLOL!

Seriously, I figure its time... it's like my 25th year anniversary of having one!

I am with you! That thing is gross!

The one I had twenty some years ago was okay. It was too sweet and the texture was weird.

I'm sure I have had MRM chicken on Air Canada. It tasted weird and chemical. Then sunlight came in the window and I could see tiny bubbles in the structure of the chicken. o_0 I didn't finish that.

I've seen tiny air bubbles in bits of processed chicken, and did the same. >_<

There's a strangeness about McDonalds food. If you're not hungry and happen to be walking past one of their restaurants, their cooking smells is a terrible turnoff. But if you're starving hungry, maybe stressed a little and there's nowhere else to eat, then sinking one's face into a MacRib (figuratively speaking as I’ve never done so nor wish to) must be heaven on earth. A few times and only because my boy George was hungry, I've bought a Big Mac. Actually, two. He eats like a horse. :XD But McDs, they fill a market as well as tummies and somehow, cutomers come away happy.

Means to an end, really. Eat and be happy. But with MRM, sometimes ignorance is bliss. :LOL:

i'm another one who hasn't had a mcrib since the 80's. but i remember enjoying it way back when.

of course, i'd never had a proper pulled pork sandwich back then, so my range of judgement was quite limited.

i don't know much about mechanically seperated meat, but i don't see how using every part of an animal can be bad. look at scrapple and livermush, two of my (very occasional :cool:) favourites.

i think i'll try a mcrib or two on the way home today.

lol, on a side note, i remember when mickey d's came out with the mclean sandwich. i kept wondering why it was named after some irish guy, mclean. it was only later that i found out it was supposed to be pronounced mick-leen.

That is why it is a SINFUL item to eat, since it is pork something.

never had one, don't think i would go out of my way to buy one. can't remember the last time i ate at mcdonalds., not since they discontinued the slim version. it was very good as i remember.

ok, i found out why mrm is bad.

my god, the mcrib is disgusting!!!!!!

i bought 2 on the way home today (at $2.99 each), and got robbed.

if i was taking a blind taste test, i wouldn't have been able to determine what kind of meat it was. i'm not sure if i would have even guessed meat. it was unnaturally bland, and tasted nothing of pork. the onions, pickles, and bbq sauce are there just to give the sandwich some kind of flavour.

actually, i think i just ate soylent green. mc-soylent green.

They had the nerve to try to sell these things in the late 80s in Memphis, one of the world capitals of exquisite pork BBQ. I lived there, tried one, and didn't finish it. With pickles? Make it stop!

They had the nerve to try to sell these things in the late 80s in Memphis, one of the world capitals of exquisite pork BBQ. I lived there, tried one, and didn't finish it. With pickles? Make it stop!

In Memphis it is going to be a tougher sell for sure.

wrong-o undeer, but on the right track
The reason it rolls out nationwide so rarely, is that it uses specific cuts of pork, not trimmings, and when they do a national roll out, it screws up the pork market pricing because all of the meat it ...takes off the market. They can afford an LTO, but year round it would get too expensive to make.
Unlike sausage which is made from trimmings, to get the texture and bind right they use primarilly pork butts and picnics. This unusual demand cycle pulls a lot out of the retail stream and into the industrial stream which drives the price of these particular cuts up during the periods they make it. Trimmings have more conenctive tissue which can cause the product to fall apart, the whole muscle primals have significantly less connective tissues so it performs better.
Also
McD's president Jan Fields states, "It doesn't sell well all year long because people get tired of it."

The reason it rolls out nationwide so rarely, is that it uses specific cuts of pork, not trimmings, and when they do a national roll out, it screws up the pork market pricing because all of the meat it ...takes off the market. They can afford an LTO, but year round it would get too expensive to make.
Unlike sausage which is made from trimmings, to get the texture and bind right they use primarilly pork butts and picnics. This unusual demand cycle pulls a lot out of the retail stream and into the industrial stream which drives the price of these particular cuts up during the periods they make it. Trimmings have more conenctive tissue which can cause the product to fall apart, the whole muscle primals have significantly less connective tissues so it performs better.
Also
McD's president Jan Fields states, "It doesn't sell well all year long because people get tired of it."

Well... whatever floats your boat, mate. :)

Meanwhile, I'll happily stick to roast pork all caramalisy-brown and cracklingly fragrant out the oven, sprinkled with lovely fresh sage and thyme, served with roast potaotes, beautiful little parsnips and all the trimmings, homemade gravy poured over and delicious stewed apple on the side.

Each to their own.

Also

That's really interesting information, Jim! I don't like the food at McD's except that sandwich, and I never fail to get at least one when they are offered. I think they are a pretty darn good sandwich, myself.
McD's vanilla iced coffee is just as good as Starbucks, and only $2.00 instead of $5.00 or more at Starbucks. I often go through the drive thru and just order that alone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom