My PF Changs Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF Changs is to Chinese food, as the Olive Garden is to Italian food :sick:

Being Italian as well as a lover of authentic Chinese Food, I have to agree with you. However, keeping in mind that neither of these restuarants is authentic, they still serve good food. I just eat it and like it. When I want the real stuff, I make it myself. ;)

Most cater to the American taste buds.
I would disagree with this statement. When given the chance, Americans love eating authentic ethnic cuisine. If you look at the restaurants that are succeeding, often times the more authentic restaurants do very well.

I'd go there again

I've eaten lunch at P.F. Changs several times with a group of friends. We order several dishes and always share. It's more fun that way. :chef:

I found the food to be quite tasty and an overall enjoyable experience at lunchtime when it was not crowded.:chef:

I think he means chained ethnic restaurants.
Yes, but I do not think that the "American taste buds" are craving Americanized food. They eat it because that is what the chains serve them so that is what they know. If they were exposed to more authentic food I am willing to bet that is what they would like.

I'm not so sure about that as I think most Americans are not as sophisticated as we are on this board.
Well that is a given :LOL:

Still, I think given the chance, they would enjoy the authentic stuff. I bet if their local Chinese place started offering authentic stuff the people who were brave enough to try it would like it for the most part. I have seen it happen. Just look at all the sushi places that there are now. 20 years ago you would be hard pressed to find more than a handful of Americans who would ever consider eating raw fish. Now there seems to be a sushi restaurant on every corner. I think the American public in general is not given enough credit. Sure there are some who will not try new things, but I do not think that speaks for the American taste buds in general.

Well that is a given :LOL:

Still, I think given the chance, they would enjoy the authentic stuff. I bet if their local Chinese place started offering authentic stuff the people who were brave enough to try it would like it for the most part. I have seen it happen. Just look at all the sushi places that there are now. 20 years ago you would be hard pressed to find more than a handful of Americans who would ever consider eating raw fish. Now there seems to be a sushi restaurant on every corner. I think the American public in general is not given enough credit. Sure there are some who will not try new things, but I do not think that speaks for the American taste buds in general.
My husbands partner and his wife are of course our best friends..When it's birthday or a special occasion time you can bet that the meal you will get will be the real deal..The first time for me was a real eye opener, a whole fish eyes and all looking at me, smae thing with a duck only thing missing was the feathers..After the ffirst sock, the smells and a small taste did it's magic..There is othing better than the foods served in the home and not the Americanized versions we get served out...
kadesma

Just look at all the sushi places that there are now. 20 years ago you would be hard pressed to find more than a handful of Americans who would ever consider eating raw fish. Now there seems to be a sushi restaurant on every corner. I think the American public in general is not given enough credit. Sure there are some who will not try new things, but I do not think that speaks for the American taste buds in general.

You brought up a perfect example. Although I agree it was gutsy for the American public to try raw fish which brought the popularity of sushi to where it's at now, I am willing to bet 9 out of 10 sushi bars in the US do not serve and prepare sushi in the true traditional manner...... again, to suit the American taste buds.
Having said that, I do enjoy "Americanized" ethnic foods, whether they be Chinese, Italian, Japanese, Thai, Mexican, or whatever they dish out. :)

I am willing to bet 9 out of 10 sushi bars in the US do not serve and prepare sushi in the true traditional manner.
I will take that bet. Nigiri sushi is very basic. You do not get much more basic than sashimi. Every sushi restaurant I have been to serve both these things. These are both traditional dishes prepared the exact same way they have been prepared in Japan for a very long time. There are not Americanized versions of the real thing.

I will take that bet. Nigiri sushi is very basic. You do not get much more basic than sashimi. Every sushi restaurant I have been to serve both these things. These are both traditional dishes prepared the exact same way they have been prepared in Japan for a very long time. There are not Americanized versions of the real thing.
I must back out of this bet. I was trying to split hair on this particular example.
The only thing I can think of is the wide practice of chefs not putting a dab of wasabi as the nigiri sushi is being prepared.

Not sure why American's take a beating for not being open to try different foods. I think it's a joke that keeps circulating and now everyone is believing that.

In general there are lots of cultures/countries around the world that work in a similar fashion when it comes to food. In India I am hard pressed to find anything that would be considered authentic chinese, authentic italian etc. It's all spiced up and modified to suit the palate of that population. The italian food I tried in India was one of the worst you can ever have.

I had a similar experience in the middle east and also in Spain where I had a stir fry dish that was miles away from being authentic, it was just some chicken (not even completely cooked) with some peanuts thrown in it and some sweet teriyaki sauce.

I am sure if you go to Japan or China you will be hard pressed to find anything authentic from other parts of the world.

I personally have no issues trying things that are fusionized if they are made well. Example chicken tikka masala is non-existent in India, was created for the western palate and I like what was created. Similarly chinese food at some of these so called bistro's that are made with alternate ingredients so non pork or meat eating people can enjoy there is nothing wrong with it, if it's done well.

Having said that sometimes I shy away from totally authentic places because of the ingredients that they may use - example use of lard in authentic mexican restaurants or use of pork bones in stock in an authentic Chinese joint.

Back
Top Bottom