"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews

Old 03-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cooking View Post
Hello Everyone,
My apologies if I'm posting incorrectly, this is my first time posting questions to any forum.. I love cooking and have a large family and am in desperate need of some new cookware. I'm tired of the non-stick pans whose coatings keep disintegrating on me and want to upgrade to something that will really last, trying to decide which of the tons of options out there are right for me.. I was hoping to find out people's experiences with stainless steel coating and an aluminum core vs. stainless steel with a copper core. Basically I'm trying to determine if that copper core (like in the All-Clad Copper Core line) provides enough of a difference that it's worth the price difference over an aluminum core (like in the All Clad d5 Brushed stainless steel line). (And if you have another line you'd recommend that's appreciated too.) So if you have any experience with aluminum core or copper core, or even better both and wouldn't mind sharing I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks for listening! Happy Cooking Everyone!
Thanks!
I have a set of stainless steel saucepans and large stockpots woth an aluminium core and hate them with a passion. They are heavy and were expensive so it isn't the quality that is at fault. They are only fit for boiling veg, stock or anything very liquid. Anything thick, eggy or involving milk, burns even on a low light.

My preference is for enamelled cast iron. Le Creuset is frighteningly expensive but you aren't going to have to replace it anytime soon. (Mine is about 40 years old and I expect it will be ok to leave it to my god daughter in another 30 or 40 years. Although it isn't strictly non-stick it has a lot of similar advantages and it's so much better than stainless steel

Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I have a set of stainless steel saucepans and large stockpots woth an aluminium core and hate them with a passion. They are heavy and were expensive so it isn't the quality that is at fault. They are only fit for boiling veg, stock or anything very liquid. Anything thick, eggy or involving milk, burns even on a low light.

My preference is for enamelled cast iron. Le Creuset is frighteningly expensive but you aren't going to have to replace it anytime soon. (Mine is about 40 years old and I expect it will be ok to leave it to my god daughter in another 30 or 40 years. Although it isn't strictly non-stick it has a lot of similar advantages and it's so much better than stainless steel
I love my stainless, I've had zero issues with it, I make pastry creams in them with great results. I can simmer a tomato sauce for hours on low without it cooking on to the bottom of a pan.

I love my cast iron and Enameled cast iron as well.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:37 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Problem is that my 15 year old All Clad pots and pans (seconds from cookware and more) function like new and don't need replacing, so I can't really justify the $$ to buy myself a copper core.
I have a 20+ year old All Clad LTD pan that is like new even after lots of use. I can not see myself ever needing to replace it.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:33 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'll bet that non-stick wouldn't last as long if you didn't have the SS and used it all the time. ..
Actually, taxy, my Analon is my go-to cookware, and has been for about a dozen years. The Calphalon is just a few years old, and rarely used. In fact, I'll reach for my Wagner (35 years old this summer) or Lodge cast iron before I pull out the stainless steel. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:11 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thank you so much for all the great advice everyone!! I really appreciate all the insights and the brand recommendations! It definitely helps to get the opinions of folks who actually cook with multiple types of cookware, not just tried one pot and either loved or hated it. Any advice I can get is greatly appreciated! Thank you!! Happy Cooking

Tags
cook, cookware, copper