"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews

Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Red Lobster is more of a Northern 48 states restaurant.

While Captain D'S is more in the south.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Red Lobster is more of a Northern 48 states restaurant.

While Captain D'S is more in the south.
Other than a few in Ct., there are no RL in the other five New England states, which have been proudly a part of the northern 48 states from the beginning. Looks like they know when to quit.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I think there is an Applebees right next to the Olive Garden in South Bay ... yikes!

I have yet to see a Red Lobster around here. I think we were spared mercifully from the bad chains for a long time.

Just hope Golden Corral doesnt show!
There is an Outback in Medford in the Fellsway shopping Center, a Roadhouse Steakhoue in Everett. And several TGIF around. One in the Gateway in Everett. The only chain I have ever been in that I can honestly say I like (not love) is Panera Bread. Applebees is horrible. They are on the outskirts to Boston. One in Malden.

Boston is a foodies mecca. I don't see how a chain restaurant can possibly succeed. I think it must be the same element that frequents McD's that go to these chains and think they are eating "out." Is it the financial income that determines the cliental? Or the convience of the location? Or both?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
"The Olive Garden hits some kind of middlebrow sweet spot, where people really do like it...but it's also a goofy chain with overblown pretensions toward authenticity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The review in question by Marilyn in the Grand Forks paper doesn't say that.
I'm sorry, I may have incorrectly attributed the quote. Rather, the article referenced in the OP said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Y'all do realize that the reason that all Olive Gardens have the exact same menu and the exact same food is that there are no chefs in the restaurants? All the food is prepared in one central location and shipped to each restaurant in seal-a-meal bags.
You're joking, right?

It's been a dozen years or two decades since I've gone to one of their restaurants, so I forgot the menu details. Surely they serve more stuff than could come out of seal-a-meal bags. Even taking for granted the bread sticks, etc. could be frozen without too bad a result.

They've got to be using at least some fresh ingredients. The salad stuff of course. But that can't be the only fresh food they serve.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Their sauces are likely shipped in bags. If they have figured out how to grill meat and ship it like that while still having it taste decent, well that would be quite a feat, but I doubt that they have.

They probably get soup bases and add fresh ingredients to them.

Uniformity is really important to chains, and cutting down on labor is also a big deal, it saves them a ton of cash. Every chain does it this way. I don't know why people would think OG would be any different. Imagine every OG having marinara taste very different in each location.

We have local restaurants with multiple locations, but there is always one that is much better than the other.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #46
Executive Chef

In Boston it is all about the East Coast Grill
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #47
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Not for Italian food it is not.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I

You're joking, right?

It's been a dozen years or two decades since I've gone to one of their restaurants, so I forgot the menu details. Surely they serve more stuff than could come out of seal-a-meal bags. Even taking for granted the bread sticks, etc. could be frozen without too bad a result.

They've got to be using at least some fresh ingredients. The salad stuff of course. But that can't be the only fresh food they serve.
No. He's not kidding. Everything is designed from start to finish in a lair on a secluded island somewhere off of the coast of Myanamar where all of the other diabolical franchises are. Plotting to eradicate the world of wholesome real food.....Salads in bags, sauces in bags, meats precooked, bread products frozen, cheeses all processed and pre grated. Everything portioned out to the last ounce to assure cost control. Do you know that restaurants can buy tomatoes already sliced in boxes ?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #49
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Other than a few in Ct., there are no RL in the other five New England states, which have been proudly a part of the northern 48 states from the beginning. Looks like they know when to quit.
That would be like opening, a Famous Daves/Smokey Bones in TX. They know when the market is already cornered.

Red Lobster is to seafood, what OG is to Italian.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Yum!

Andy M and I had brunch there once!