Review of Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Recipes Make Magic

Senior Cook
I used this recipe which I posted the other day, with the following moderate changes:

- I lightly coated the wings with baking powder as directed, but placed them in the fridge overnite to rest & dry on a grate, uncovered, for baking
today @ 425 F, which I did for 25 minutes each side.

- They didn't turn out very brown, nor very crispy, so I put them under the broiler for a further 2 minutes or so each side, which improved the browning, but not by a great deal. This also didn't improve on the crispiness.

- To finish, I used a standard/common recipe for buffalo wing sauce using butter, and blue cheese dressing for dipping.

My conclusions:

- Con:

Did the wings turn out as crispy as they would if deep fried ?
Not even close - they were only quite mildly crispy, for lack of a better description.

Pro:

The wings were not at all greasy, and very tender and moist inside, and tasted very good both before & after adding the coating of warm buffalo wings sauce (which provided good heat, but not overly so - actually less hot than I expected.)

Following the addition of the buffalo sauce, and after dipping them in the blue cheese dressing, they were absolutely delicious - I devoured them - they were one of the best, if not the best, spicy chicken wings I've ever had.

What I would do differently the next time around:

- I believe I would flour the wings more heavily with the baking powder.
- Oven temp would be raised to say 450 F, for 30 minutes each side.
- I would finish them by browning longer under the broiler (hopefully without producing much if any smoke) - say up to 4-5 minutes each side.

Hopefully, that would produce better color and crispiness.

Last edited:
i have tried this what i found out that helped was 2 things.
1 cook on a baking rack, this allows air flow to help crispy and avoid siting in
liquid.
2 i used corn flake bread crumbs, it got a little crisper and browner.

i have tried this what i found out that helped was 2 things.
1 cook on a baking rack, this allows air flow to help crispy and avoid siting in
liquid.
2 i used corn flake bread crumbs, it got a little crisper and browner.

Thanks for posting- I cook on a baking rack too, and I'm going to try the corn flake crumbs as well.
Whatever works is good.

Last edited:
I tried this recipe again - except this time I more or less doubled the amount of baking powder I used this time vs. the prior bake. I really coated them well with the powder and left them uncovered overnite in the fridge.

With only 20 minutes baking on each side @ 400, the wings turned out much browner & more crispy- crunchy, to my pleasant surprise.

Even after applying the glaze on both sides (twice) and baking 5+ minutes each side, the wings still turned out crispier than they had before.

One big change to the glaze though, I used a completely different, more elaborate glaze recipe, for a spicier finish to the wings, and they were delish !
I'll do them that way again.

If you can fry, and want super crispy sings coating, try this:
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup corn starch.
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. alt
1.2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/ tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
3 inches oil in a heavy pan.

Place the oil into the pan and hat over medium flame. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Add egg and milk and whick until smooth. Dip chicken in plain four and let sit for 5 minutes. Dip in batter and deep fry in 365 to 370 degree F. oil. The escaping steam from the batter will keep the coating fom absorbing much oil. The coating will puff into a light and crispy tempura. Fry until ligtly browned. Drain op a cooling rack of paper towels. Dip in your favorite wing sauce.

Smoldering Chicken

Tjis was originally chicken made to be cooked over charcoal Also,I used chicken thighs. But it works with wings too. The marinade can flavor the wings before they are coated to give the chicken meat great flavor. Then coat as you prefer and oven bake or fry.

Marinade:
1/3 cup Sriracha brand Hot Sauce
2 tbs. Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 tbs. good soy sauce

8 to 10 chicken thighs, with the skin removed

Mix the sauce ingredients together. Pour into a 1 gallon freezer bag & add the chicken pieces. Move everything around inside the bag until the chicken is well coated with the sauce. Press the air from the bag and place it in the refrigerator for two hours. Make your side dishes during this marinating time.

Fire up the grill with a solid bed of charcoal and let it go until the coals are glowing. Place the chicken on the grill, leaving space between the pieces. Cover and close all vents half way. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove the lid and turn over. Cover and cook for 7 additional minutes. Test with an instant read meat thermometer. Remove the chicken when the temperature reads 160 degrees.

Serve with vegetable kabobs, baked beans, or other summertime foods such as salads, grilled fruit, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom