Tostino Party Pizza review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Tostino is a brand name ubiquitous in frozen pizza and pizza-like products. I’ve always avoided it, for what reason I couldn’t say. But Tostino “Party Pizza” was on sale yesterday at the local supermarket(4 for $5), so I bought some, two cheese, one pepperoni, and one “combination” (pepperoni and sausage).

I made one of the cheese pizzas yesterday for lunch. I didn’t even bother to read the cooking directions, as I have my own fool-proof method for making store-bought frozen pizza. And I topped it myself with extra cheese (mozzarella), onions, fresh sliced garlic, mushrooms, chopped deli ham on one side and bell pepper and krab on the other.

Both Mark and I noticed a very un-pizza-like flavor almost immediately. It was the sauce, we think. It tasted more like extra mild enchilada sauce, and was very off-putting. And I’ve got three more!

If you’re expecting something that tastes pizza, I can’t recommend this product. There are many products in the freezer case similarly priced that actually taste like what we Americans have come to know as pizza.

A note: Ignore the cooking directions on the box of any frozen store-bought pizza! Crank your oven to its highest setting, defrost the pizza and add any extra toppings and seasoning you like, and bake it on a sheet pan or pizza stone until the crust is brown and the cheese is bubbly.

We buy the pizza rolls maybe twice a year. Never had the regular pizza. Thank you for the review.

We do buy the Celeste pizza for one when on sale. And basically do what you do.

We used to buy Tombstone and Red Baron plain cheese to doctor. Never again will any frozen pizza enter our house.:ROFLMAO: Your first clue should have been the "off taste".:ermm:

Tostino is a brand name ubiquitous in frozen pizza and pizza-like products. I’ve always avoided it, for what reason I couldn’t say. But Tostino “Party Pizza” was on sale yesterday at the local supermarket(4 for $5), so I bought some, two cheese, one pepperoni, and one “combination” (pepperoni and sausage).

I made one of the cheese pizzas yesterday for lunch. I didn’t even bother to read the cooking directions, as I have my own fool-proof method for making store-bought frozen pizza. And I topped it myself with extra cheese (mozzarella), onions, fresh sliced garlic, mushrooms, chopped deli ham on one side and bell pepper and krab on the other.

Both Mark and I noticed a very un-pizza-like flavor almost immediately. It was the sauce, we think. It tasted more like extra mild enchilada sauce, and was very off-putting. And I’ve got three more!

If you’re expecting something that tastes pizza, I can’t recommend this product. There are many products in the freezer case similarly priced that actually taste like what we Americans have come to know as pizza.

A note: Ignore the cooking directions on the box of any frozen store-bought pizza! Crank your oven to its highest setting, defrost the pizza and add any extra toppings and seasoning you like, and bake it on a sheet pan or pizza stone until the crust is brown and the cheese is bubbly.

On the rare occasion I buy a frozen pizza, I always buy a plain one. I add my own sauce on top of theirs and put on my own toppings. Pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. It taste is passable. But I still prefer pizza from Santappio's here in Eastie. It is rated #1 the best pizza in Boston by Boston magazine year after year. Come summertime, the line outside the building is around the block.

We used to buy Tombstone and Red Baron plain cheese to doctor. Never again will any frozen pizza enter our house.:ROFLMAO: Your first clue should have been the "off taste".:ermm:
Funny that you mention Red Baron. ATK rated it one of the best frozen pizzas!

My “first clue” should probably have been the price.

Frozen pizza is a convenience, a snack that’s easy to put together. It does not and cannot be compared with homemade or local pizzeria pies, just like instant ramen can’t be compared with homemade tonkotsu ramen. They’re simply not the same dish.

There are days when such conveniences are invaluable, so if you look in my freezer, regardless of when, you’ll probably find a couple of frozen pizzas, just for those days when I want something that’s pizza-ish fast. It won’t be Tostino’s, though! And I’ll continue to ignore the directions on the box.

On the rare occasion I buy a frozen pizza, I always buy a plain one. I add my own sauce on top of theirs and put on my own toppings. Pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. It taste is passable. But I still prefer pizza from Santappio's here in Eastie. It is rated #1 the best pizza in Boston by Boston magazine year after year. Come summertime, the line outside the building is around the block.
I usually buy the plain, too, and top it with whatever’s in the fridge. I only buy the pre-topped pizzas for Mark. I won’t let him near a knife, so if I’m not around to slice the onions and mushrooms...

Last edited:
You know, folks, I’ll bet even the top chefs in the world occasionally get tired of creating and cooking masterpieces. At three in the morning, I’ll bet you they turn to a hidden stash of frozen pizzas or burritos or what we used to call “tv dinners.” And who among you never eats anything but homemade cookies? Or never uses crackers from a red box? I’ll bet not a single one of you can say “never.” Being a culinary genius with an artist’s palate is great, but you don’t have to be a snob!

Last edited:
You know, folks, I’ll bet even the top chefs in the world occasionally get tired of creating and cooking masterpieces. At three in the morning, I’ll bet you they turn to a hidden stash of frozen pizzas or burritos or what we used to call “tv dinners.” And who among you never eats anything but homemade cookies? Or never uses crackers from a red box? I’ll bet not a single one of you can say “never.” Being a culinary genius with an artist’s palate is great, but you don’t have to be a snob!

I admit I eat those things often. Sometimes I don't feel like cooking due to health issues or weather conditions (heat mostly). There's nothing wrong with eating prepared/store bought food.

P.S. Have you tried the new Bacon Flavored Ritz crackers? I like them. I think they would be great crumbled on top of Kraft Mac N Cheese and baked till golden brown.

Last edited:

I have noticed that a lot of companies add marjoram and/or tarragon to their tomato sauce.
I really don't like marjoram and tarragon. I'm from an Italian family. None of my aunt's, grandma or mom used marjoram or tarragon in anything that I can remember. I have noticed that several frozen pizzas have that flavor. One of them is Ellio's frozen pizza. Maybe that's the flavor you are not liking.

Last edited:
I never eat crackers from a red box (I prefer Triscuits ;) ), but the rest is spot on. As much as the members here love cooking and eating good food, life sometimes gets in the way of making a gourmet meal. And that's okay.

I have noticed that a lot of companies add marjoram and/or tarragon to their tomato sauce.
I really don't like marjoram and tarragon. I'm from an Italian family. None of my aunt's, grandma or mom used marjoram or tarragon in anything that I can remember. I have noticed that several frozen pizzas have that flavor. One of them is Ellio's frozen pizza. Maybe that's the flavor you are not liking.
I hate tarragon. The last time I used it, I thought something in my chicken salad was spoiled. I would be really unhappy if there was tarragon in my pizza.

I hate tarragon. The last time I used it, I thought something in my chicken salad was spoiled. I would be really unhappy if there was tarragon in my pizza.
Tarragon has a strange sweet flavor.
And marjoram has a strange minty, sweet flavor to me.

I never eat crackers from a red box (I prefer Triscuits ;) ), but the rest is spot on. As much as the members here love cooking and eating good food, life sometimes gets in the way of making a gourmet meal. And that's okay.
I like Triscuits, too, but can’t eat them anymore. Too hard and crunchy. I especially like like the cracked black pepper flavor.

I noticed marjoram on a list of ingredients the other day, can’t remember what product it was, or if was just a spice blend. I sprinkled a little on the tortilla pizza I made along with the usual oregano, basil, and thyme, and didn’t even notice a taste difference.

I noticed marjoram on a list of ingredients the other day, can’t remember what product it was, or if was just a spice blend. I sprinkled a little on the tortilla pizza I made along with the usual oregano, basil, and thyme, and didn’t even notice a taste difference.
Marjoram is a milder relative of oregano. I much prefer oregano.

I like Triscuits, too, but can’t eat them anymore. Too hard and crunchy. I especially like like the cracked black pepper flavor.

I like to put shredded cheddar cheese and green onion (or chives) and/or pepperoni on Triscuits and bake till the cheese melts. It softens the cracker a bit.

Marjoram is a milder relative of oregano. I much prefer oregano.
+1 GG I agree.

I don't use those "Italian" spice blends because they have spices (marjoram/tarragon) that are not to my liking.

Back
Top Bottom