"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,494
When I lived in Texas, my next door neighbor hit a wild pig (I don't remember what they are called) as it was crossing the road. She killed it. Right behind her were three little piglets that came out of the woods. They stopped where the mother was laying. So Pat reached in her glove compartment and got out her knife and gun that she always had with her. She shot all the piglets right in the head, then proceeded to slice and gut them right there. I watched her in awe. She took them home, and cooked them that night. She sent me a plate of what she served for supper.

I had an OMG moment when I put that meat in my mouth. Grant you she didn't get much meat from all of them. But what she got, I will never forget how good they tasted.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:41 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I lived in Texas, my next door neighbor hit a wild pig (I don't remember what they are called) as it was crossing the road. She killed it. Right behind her were three little piglets that came out of the woods. They stopped where the mother was laying. So Pat reached in her glove compartment and got out her knife and gun that she always had with her. She shot all the piglets right in the head, then proceeded to slice and gut them right there. I watched her in awe. She took them home, and cooked them that night. She sent me a plate of what she served for supper.

I had an OMG moment when I put that meat in my mouth. Grant you she didn't get much meat from all of them. But what she got, I will never forget how good they tasted.
Where and when did you live in Texas?

They are wild boars, and they are dense. If she killed one with a car, that car sustained some significant damage.

They are out of control in some parts of the state these days. The mothers can be really mean, too.

CD
__________________

__________________
I'll just flip this omelet, and... I'm having scrambled eggs.
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Where and when did you live in Texas?

They are wild boars, and they are dense. If she killed one with a car, that car sustained some significant damage.

They are out of control in some parts of the state these days. The mothers can be really mean, too.

CD
I lived in Aransas Pass. It is about 20 miles north of Corpus Christi.

My husband was a shrimper and I lived there in the early 70's. My son Poo was born there in 72. We moved there in the late 60's right after a hurricane had paid the town a nasty visit. Everyone was living in a government trailer. Everywhere you looked, there were houses without walls or roofs.

These weren't pigs. But they belong the to hog family. They are native to Texas and their name begins with a J I think. Javaline? Or something like that.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I lived in Aransas Pass. It is about 20 miles north of Corpus Christi.

My husband was a shrimper and I lived there in the early 70's. My son Poo was born there in 72. We moved there in the late 60's right after a hurricane had paid the town a nasty visit. Everyone was living in a government trailer. Everywhere you looked, there were houses without walls or roofs.

These weren't pigs. But they belong the to hog family. They are native to Texas and their name begins with a J I think. Javaline? Or something like that.
Javelina. https://www.nps.gov/bibe/learn/nature/javelina.htm
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Yeah the Kirkland bacon that you speak of is fantastic.

If you have Wright's brand bacon near you, give that a try, it's fantastic too.
I've bought Wright's often. It's my go to supermarket bacon..
__________________
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #16
Head Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Posts: 1,213
I'm partial to Trader Joe's Apple Smoked bacon.. Correct thickness for me, cooks up nicely in the oven and I like the fat for cooking...

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yup. That is what she hit. And the babies were real tiny.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Where and when did you live in Texas?

They are wild boars, and they are dense. If she killed one with a car, that car sustained some significant damage.

They are out of control in some parts of the state these days. The mothers can be really mean, too.

CD
When I lived there the Fed. Ag. Dept. went in and destroyed all the pigs at several farms due to some illness they had. They had found some disease on one farm and destroyed all the pigs at every farm that bordered that infected farm. I remember having a back hoe come in and dig a huge hole and dropped all the pigs into it after they had shot them. Then they set them all on fire with gasoline poured over them.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 5,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I lived there the Fed. Ag. Dept. went in and destroyed all the pigs at several farms due to some illness they had. They had found some disease on one farm and destroyed all the pigs at every farm that bordered that infected farm. I remember having a back hoe come in and dig a huge hole and dropped all the pigs into it after they had shot them. Then they set them all on fire with gasoline poured over them.
So, it was a luau?
__________________
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back, HUNT IT DOWN AND KILL IT!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,709
A while back, around the time this thread started, I bought a package of this bacon. It comes in a two compartment package. I cooked up the first packet fairly quickly after purchase and we had the second package tonight.

I'm not prepared to say it's the world's best bacon but it's not bad. SO has indicated she is not a fan of the thicker cut. I would say the hickory smoke flavor isn't as strong as Costco's regular bacon.

This bacon does make a really good BLT.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bacon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.