World's best bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lived in Aransas Pass. It is about 20 miles north of Corpus Christi.

My husband was a shrimper and I lived there in the early 70's. My son Poo was born there in 72. We moved there in the late 60's right after a hurricane had paid the town a nasty visit. Everyone was living in a government trailer. Everywhere you looked, there were houses without walls or roofs.

These weren't pigs. But they belong the to hog family. They are native to Texas and their name begins with a J I think. Javaline? Or something like that.

I know exactly where Aransas Pass is. I've been through there many times. Just passed through, though.

All the years I've lived in Texas, I've never encountered a Javelina or wild boar. I've known people who have hunted them. Down in Sabine Pass, I would encounter alligators and nutrias all the time when I went duck hunting. The gators generally didn't want anything to do with humans, and the nutria were target practice. Killing them was encouraged, as they were an invasive nuisance, especially to the sugar cane farmers.

CD

I've been buying cheap bacon for so long I forgot what good bacon tastes like. For once our Safeway store had a sale on their brand bacon which I would normally avoid like the plague. But I wanted bacon and that was the cheapest I found, so I bought it.

I was surprised to see how little it shrank and how good it tasted. Naturally, now that I realize I like their bacon, they haven't had it on sale since. It's 3 lbs for $15 and that's just a little too rich for me.

I'm not the kind to wish for money to just buy food, but sometimes I wish I could afford to buy some really good cuts of meat.

I've been buying cheap bacon for so long I forgot what good bacon tastes like. For once our Safeway store had a sale on their brand bacon which I would normally avoid like the plague. But I wanted bacon and that was the cheapest I found, so I bought it.

I was surprised to see how little it shrank and how good it tasted. Naturally, now that I realize I like their bacon, they haven't had it on sale since. It's 3 lbs for $15 and that's just a little too rich for me.

I'm not the kind to wish for money to just buy food, but sometimes I wish I could afford to buy some really good cuts of meat.

RR
Try buying premium bacon :pig: at the Deli or Butcher counter, the price per pound is scary but sometimes all you really need is 1/4 pound of the better quality bacon to satisfy the urge for a great breakfast, BLT, etc...

I know it sounds strange but sometimes it's better to pay a higher price per pound and buy less when you are cooking for one and trying to stretch a dollar! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
My speck came out really good. Today was the first time we cooked it after Craig smoked it. He's ready to try again with regular bacon. It was made with hog jowl.

RR
Try buying premium bacon :pig: at the Deli or Butcher counter, the price per pound is scary but sometimes all you really need is 1/4 pound of the better quality bacon to satisfy the urge for a great breakfast, BLT, etc...

I know it sounds strange but sometimes it's better to pay a higher price per pound and buy less when you are cooking for one and trying to stretch a dollar! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks. My price limit on meat is $2.99/lb for anything and $1.99 for chicken breasts. About the only time I surpass my $2.99 is when I get hamburger. I've even seen beef roast and petite sirloin on sale for $2.99/lb. But hamburger is always expensive.

I can usually stay within that price if I really search for sales, but there's no denying prices are going up. I'm just waiting until I have to raise my dollar limit. Chicken breasts have gone up to $2.99/lb in most stores and I haven't seen whole chickens for under 99¢/lb in forever.

The cheap bacon is staying cheap and the good bacon has gone up almost $2 per pound more.

I don't really like lists that purport to define THE BEST of anything.

First of all, it's completely subjective. The reviewer's criteria might be completely different than my own. Second, since not all of the brands on the list are available where I live, I must also assume that I have availability to brands that the reviewer doesn't.

Finally, I've eaten a lot of bacon in my life. Personally, I like the ones where the fat content is a little lower. I've bought a number of cheap brands that are all fat. They render out into the pan, leaving only a tiny wisp of meaty bacon when all is said and done. I like some meat in my bacon.

As sort of a loose rule, I tend to buy the bacon sold at the deli or meat counter. It's usually pretty good, albeit maybe not as nice and pretty as some of the packaged stuff.

My cat has exquisite taste in bacon. The cheapest bacon that he'll eat is Hormel Black Label. He really prefers my store's upscale private label applewood smoked or Wright's. He likes a good smoky flavor.

Luckily we have similar taste in bacon, I can tell the second I taste it whether or not he'll like it. He's a standoffish cat, and bacon is the only thing that he'll let me hand feed him. Bacon and smoked gouda and he's your best friend.

Back
Top Bottom