World's best bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigjim68

Head Chef
After 70 years intensive research, I've found it.

Kirkland (Costco) thick sliced European belly bacon

If you like extra lean, hickory smoked, sliced thicker than a quarter pounder, this one's for you.

And a buck less/pound than that Kroger brand.

I'll have to check that out. I can see using that diced in some of my recipes.

CD

Yeah the Kirkland bacon that you speak of is fantastic.

If you have Wright's brand bacon near you, give that a try, it's fantastic too.

I buy the house brand of Market Basket thick sliced bacon. We don't eat it as a meat, but diced for corn chowder and other meals. Sandwich mixes, etc. I use it for flavoring, not part of a meal.

Smithfield Foods is a famous maker of regular and smoked pork products in my area, so that's what I normally buy. Yummy :yum:

I have continued to buy Smithfield Ham slices. I haven't noticed any change in taste since the company was sold.

When I lived in Texas, my next door neighbor hit a wild pig (I don't remember what they are called) as it was crossing the road. She killed it. Right behind her were three little piglets that came out of the woods. They stopped where the mother was laying. So Pat reached in her glove compartment and got out her knife and gun that she always had with her. She shot all the piglets right in the head, then proceeded to slice and gut them right there. I watched her in awe. She took them home, and cooked them that night. She sent me a plate of what she served for supper.

I had an OMG moment when I put that meat in my mouth. Grant you she didn't get much meat from all of them. But what she got, I will never forget how good they tasted.

When I lived in Texas, my next door neighbor hit a wild pig (I don't remember what they are called) as it was crossing the road. She killed it. Right behind her were three little piglets that came out of the woods. They stopped where the mother was laying. So Pat reached in her glove compartment and got out her knife and gun that she always had with her. She shot all the piglets right in the head, then proceeded to slice and gut them right there. I watched her in awe. She took them home, and cooked them that night. She sent me a plate of what she served for supper.

I had an OMG moment when I put that meat in my mouth. Grant you she didn't get much meat from all of them. But what she got, I will never forget how good they tasted.

Where and when did you live in Texas?

They are wild boars, and they are dense. If she killed one with a car, that car sustained some significant damage.

They are out of control in some parts of the state these days. The mothers can be really mean, too.

CD

They are wild boars, and they are dense. If she killed one with a car, that car sustained some significant damage.

They are out of control in some parts of the state these days. The mothers can be really mean, too.

CD
I lived in Aransas Pass. It is about 20 miles north of Corpus Christi.

My husband was a shrimper and I lived there in the early 70's. My son Poo was born there in 72. We moved there in the late 60's right after a hurricane had paid the town a nasty visit. Everyone was living in a government trailer. Everywhere you looked, there were houses without walls or roofs.

These weren't pigs. But they belong the to hog family. They are native to Texas and their name begins with a J I think. Javaline? Or something like that.

Last edited:
I lived in Aransas Pass. It is about 20 miles north of Corpus Christi.

My husband was a shrimper and I lived there in the early 70's. My son Poo was born there in 72. We moved there in the late 60's right after a hurricane had paid the town a nasty visit. Everyone was living in a government trailer. Everywhere you looked, there were houses without walls or roofs.

These weren't pigs. But they belong the to hog family. They are native to Texas and their name begins with a J I think. Javaline? Or something like that.
Javelina. https://www.nps.gov/bibe/learn/nature/javelina.htm

I'm partial to Trader Joe's Apple Smoked bacon.. Correct thickness for me, cooks up nicely in the oven and I like the fat for cooking...

Ross

CD

When I lived there the Fed. Ag. Dept. went in and destroyed all the pigs at several farms due to some illness they had. They had found some disease on one farm and destroyed all the pigs at every farm that bordered that infected farm. I remember having a back hoe come in and dig a huge hole and dropped all the pigs into it after they had shot them. Then they set them all on fire with gasoline poured over them.

When I lived there the Fed. Ag. Dept. went in and destroyed all the pigs at several farms due to some illness they had. They had found some disease on one farm and destroyed all the pigs at every farm that bordered that infected farm. I remember having a back hoe come in and dig a huge hole and dropped all the pigs into it after they had shot them. Then they set them all on fire with gasoline poured over them.

So, it was a luau?

A while back, around the time this thread started, I bought a package of this bacon. It comes in a two compartment package. I cooked up the first packet fairly quickly after purchase and we had the second package tonight.

I'm not prepared to say it's the world's best bacon but it's not bad. SO has indicated she is not a fan of the thicker cut. I would say the hickory smoke flavor isn't as strong as Costco's regular bacon.

This bacon does make a really good BLT.

Back
Top Bottom