Blood mix alternative when making black pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrGeordie

Assistant Cook
I am making chorizo black pudding is there a alternative to blood mix as tried 3 butchers and none sell it.

Liver in a blender would probably work.

You might need to add some water to adjust the consistency.

Good luck!

Excuse me, think I'll go throw up now.

Not a fan of liver.

My grandfather absolutely loved blood sausage, though I have no idea why. German thing apparently. It might work for your recipe.

I'd sure be more inclined to eat it if you used the ground liver suggestion. I had blood pudding once with a "full Irish breakfast" and I'm sure not a fan, but to each their own as they say.

Hmm, the OP is looking for an alternative to blood.

As I read his post, I got the impression that he wasn't able to find the mixture at his obvious butcher shops. As Sir Loin recommended, he may be able to find his ingredient at an alternate source.

As unusual as it may sound, I don't think the OP would need much to create his black pudding.

I used to love blood sausage, but can't eat it anymore due to all the grain it contains. Being brought up in the house of a butcher, you learn to eat all sorts of things. And my dad was one of those people who grew up during the great depression and didn't believe in wasting anything that could be used as food. He would bring home head cheese, tongue, liver, and yes, fresh "grutzwurst."

It's delicious, though. And if you didn't know what it was made from, most people probably wouldn't think twice about eating it.

Excuse me, think I'll go throw up now.

Not a fan of liver.

My grandfather absolutely loved blood sausage, though I have no idea why. German thing apparently. It might work for your recipe.

It is gross, sort of a vampire smoothie! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I first came across the idea in a recipe for Pork Liver Pate. :yum:

Pork Liver Pâté | Essential Pepin

I think it would work for the OP if he adjusts the amount of liquid or filler material in the recipe.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread for helping me to get started early on my New Year's diet. I've completely lost my appetite. :sick:

I used to love blood sausage, but can't eat it anymore due to all the grain it contains.

Oh, Steve, you brought back one of my best memories. I love blood sausage and when Glenn and I visited northern Minnesota two summers ago, I bought half a dozen rings of it to bring home. Sadly, it's all gone and I'm now wanting some after reading your post.

Oh, Steve, you brought back one of my best memories. I love blood sausage and when Glenn and I visited northern Minnesota two summers ago, I bought half a dozen rings of it to bring home. Sadly, it's all gone and I'm now wanting some after reading your post.

When I was very young, my Dad's Minnesota family would send us "gifts" of blood sausage. My father was thrilled, and my mom and I were :sick::shock::yuk::sick:

Like Steve, I'm also the child of a butcher, and I grew up with all sorts of odd things for others. He never made blood sausage though, but if he ever did, Mom and I didn't want to know about it. :shock:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom