Canned Sausage???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haroldathampton

Assistant Cook
Has anyone ever canned fried sausage? My mother talks about how her mother use to can sausage in its own grease. She states that it was the best sausage she has ever had. I have never canned but have a itch to try doing this. Any suggestions or input?

My grandmother did not can it but, she did preserve it in lard. She fried the sausage patties and then put them in a crock with lard. each layer of lard was approx. 1/2 inch deep and the patties did not touch each other these crocks were kept in a cold storage area. This was done in the late fall and the combination of the lard keeping the air out and the cold seemed to preserve them without any problems.
If you google canned sausage you will see many listings to can it in wide mouth jars.

canning/preserving sausage in own grease

Used to be done in the old days, either in jars or crocks. Fry out the sausage and use the grease to cover the meat in jar or crock. Store in cool place away from the dogs.
Dad :chef:;) tried this a few years ago, guess he was bored with retirement. The neatly jarred sausage was boxed and placed in a cool place in the "back room". :ohmy: Crap, that stuff began to stink up the whole house! Mom banned him from the kitchen and put him on alert if he tried that again him and the sausage would be in the dog house.

My Grand Folks talked about doing this when they had their Farm.

But.......I think why people regard this as having been so good was more because of the farm raised pork that they had to work with. There is a big difference in farm raised and the feed lot meat products you get in the grocery stores.

Farmers wives always had the reputation of being such good cooks. And to give them credit they were accomplished. But if they were buying beef, pork, chicken etc from the Super Chain Grocery Store their cooking wouldn't have tasted near as good.

For anyone who hasn't tasted Farm Raised, you owe it to yourself to do so.

The difference can be like day and night.

Dee Jsaan said:
My Grand Folks talked about doing this when they had their Farm.

But.......I think why people regard this as having been so good was more because of the farm raised pork that they had to work with. There is a big difference in farm raised and the feed lot meat products you get in the grocery stores.

Farmers wives always had the reputation of being such good cooks. And to give them credit they were accomplished. But if they were buying beef, pork, chicken etc from the Super Chain Grocery Store their cooking wouldn't have tasted near as good.

For anyone who hasn't tasted Farm Raised, you owe it to yourself to do so.

The difference can be like day and night.

Dee, I would agree! Great point!

Canned Sasuage

I grew up on a Farm in East Tennessee, raised by Grandparents. Every Thanksgiving day was not a Holiday for us other than it was Hog Killing day. The day after was devoted to grinding and getting the sasuage taken care of. This is the following Reciept used for canned sasuage.

Sterilize Quart wide mouth jars, lids and rings (boil 10 min.)
Hand form fresh seasoned ground sasuage into balls about the size of good a sized egg.
Pan fry these sasuage balls untill done.
Keep frying sasuage balls and fill a jar with hot sasuage balls (Pack it in)and pour hot grease from frying the sasuage into the jar.
Place lid and ring on Jar and tighten tight.
Place the hot jar of sasuage on towel covered countertop upside down and leave.
The jars should seal as it cools and the grease will conjeal creating another seal. Place any jars that fail to seal in fridge and use or place in a canner and reheat and retry sealing process upside down.
This sasuage is cooked and will keep about a year. Scrape off a little of the grease when opened. Place in a pan and reheat, fry eggs in grease, then put some flour in grease and brown it, making a rue, add milk and stir constantly untill thick. Pour this over homade biscuts and loosen your belt.

Badbear said:
I grew up on a Farm in East Tennessee, raised by Grandparents. Every Thanksgiving day was not a Holiday for us other than it was Hog Killing day. The day after was devoted to grinding and getting the sasuage taken care of. This is the following Reciept used for canned sasuage.

Sterilize Quart wide mouth jars, lids and rings (boil 10 min.)
Hand form fresh seasoned ground sasuage into balls about the size of good a sized egg.
Pan fry these sasuage balls untill done.
Keep frying sasuage balls and fill a jar with hot sasuage balls (Pack it in)and pour hot grease from frying the sasuage into the jar.
Place lid and ring on Jar and tighten tight.
Place the hot jar of sasuage on towel covered countertop upside down and leave.
The jars should seal as it cools and the grease will conjeal creating another seal. Place any jars that fail to seal in fridge and use or place in a canner and reheat and retry sealing process upside down.
This sasuage is cooked and will keep about a year. Scrape off a little of the grease when opened. Place in a pan and reheat, fry eggs in grease, then put some flour in grease and brown it, making a rue, add milk and stir constantly untill thick. Pour this over homade biscuts and loosen your belt.

Hi, Badbear, welcome to DC! You have some good ideas.

Last edited:
Badbear,
That sounds just like what the OP was asking for. I knew we had those jars at Grandpa and Grandma's house, but I didn't know how they got to the pantry. Thanks.

My mother-in-law told about her step mother canning every thing. She never once mentioned that she wanted to try to reproduce the taste and even said she was so thankful that in modern times she had a freezer. She even talked about canned chickens. Just thinking about it, I had to agree with her.

The jars seal. It's "canned".
Yes they do, and yes it is, but if there are any botulism bugs in the jar when it is sealed and canned, they will continue to grow unless the jar is kept in the freezer, in which case, all that hard work spent in sealing the jars is something of a waste time. I hope that the many experienced canners on this forum will forgive me for stating such basic information, but here's how it works.
Clostridium botulinum thrives on both animal and plant tissue (it loves asparagus!) and is anaerobic, so it can live in an oxygen free environment. One thing that will kill it is an acid environment. I believe that C. botulinum cannot live at a pH below 4.6, and when we make high acid jams and such (yum) the pH is probably closer to 4.0.
Unfortunately, some other nasties are not deterred by the low pH and so we subject them to the temperature of boiling water in a water bath for ten minutes. A weak spot on the lid pops down as the contents of the jar cool and contract, and the bottle is "sealed" or "canned. Unfortunately, this temp (212F) alone is not enough to kill the botulism bugs, so if the contents of the canning jar are not highly acidic, they will thrive. What will kill them is the high pressure, high temperature produced in a pressure cooker. Sparrowgrass already gave us a link with the government's figures for this.
But of course, if there are no botulism organisms in the jar when it is sealed, you won't get the disease. Perhaps because so few people can anything but jam these days, the national incidence of botulism is very low, less than 30 persons per anum, I believe. A third of those, however, are from Alaska, where, my late wife told me, the Inuit would thaw frozen meat and then freeze what was left for next time. I saw one case in London over fifty years ago. The patient was a Goanese seaman, and everyone thought that he must have an exotic tropical disease. Unfortunately, by the time that they discovered their mistake, he had died in great distress, so I am very careful about the handling and preparation of canned foods!
Cheers

Last edited:
I too grew up on a farm. Every fall, AFTER the corn was done picking there was no sitting around, like if it didn't freeze yet some late fall plowing could be done... Then my dad and his cousin would help each other. Butcher a beef and a hawg at each other's. These were all day affairs for each and us little kids had to help too. Mom wrapped the meat cuts in butcher paper as it was ready and us kids carted it off to the chest freezer. After the freezer got full, then we loaded up the back of the pick up with bushel baskets and hauled the meat into town to the "meat locker" at the meat market ( we must have rented space) for storage.

At the end, mom, made lard and I know Gramma taught her to pack sausage into crocks that were kept in the cellar. Our cellar was cold. I forget what else she made, head cheese, boiled. And she made good lard pie crusts all year.

Now adays, it's hard just to find a good package of lard that hasn't been fortified with chemicals for shelf storage.

It isn't like I am going to do this myself, so you folks needn't worry about me getting sick. I was just talking about the jars at my grandparents farm in the pantry. I'm not even sure if we ate them or not. I don't remember. ;)

Back
Top Bottom