ISO tips/advice w/oven-roasting sausages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Have any of you ever tried roasting sausages in the oven? I would like to try kit with hot turkey sausages tonight. Any suggestions re temperature and cooking time? Any help will be appreciated, as always.

I bake Italian sausages and meatballs instead of frying them. 375F for around 15 minutes, turning once usually does it. Be sure to vent the sausages with the tip of a knife or they will explode!

I bake Italian sausages and meatballs instead of frying them. 375F for around 15 minutes, turning once usually does it. Be sure to vent the sausages with the tip of a knife or they will explode!
Yes. They swell up quite a bit and can explode. After taking out, careful when you stick them or they may squirt hot fat in your face. Been there, done that. Most of the time they split in the oven. No biggy....

Last edited:
Not sure how you plan to serve them, but I like to slice kielbasa and then broil it. The increased surface area gets nicely browned and yummy.

Yes. They swell up quite a bit and can explode. After taking out, careful when you stick them or they may squirt hot fat in your face. Been there, done that. Most of the time they split in the oven. No biggy....

Been there, eaten that. That's how the ex used to cook them. Ouch.

I like the old Italian standard of sausage, potato, chicken, peppers and onions roasted together in the oven.

Many variations exist but, I just cut everything up toss it in olive oil, add some garlic, salt and pepper then roast it for an hour or so at 400 - 425 degrees. When its done and everything is tender I hit it with a shot of red wine vinegar or some fresh lemon juice.

Stirling used to cook sausages in the oven until I made him stop. They dirty the oven something fierce and I don't find them any better that way. If I want to cook a lot of sausage at once, I prefer to simmer them (yes, poke holes in the casings) and then they can be quickly browned on a pan or in the oven under the broiler.

If you are going to bake the sausages in the oven, prick them and then place in the oven on a rack over a pan to collect the drippings. Place them pricked side down. The fat will drain out as they cook and not squirt all over the oven. Place some water in the pan as it will help reduce any smoke. Turn the sausages half way and allow to brown.

I always baked them when my kids were growing up. Saved on time. While they were baking, I would be doing the onions and peppers on the stove top. :angel:

Last edited:
in my cookbook by dom delouise, "eat this; it'll make you feel better", he specifically mentions not to prick italian sausages because you end up letting out all of those delicious fatty juices. i guess you have to really love juicy sausage to put up with fat burns.

turkey sausage won't be as fatty, so i wouldn't pierce them for fear of splatter.

if i have a lot to do, always brown my sausages in a pan on the stove top, then place them on a cookie sheet to finish cooking through in the oven at 350 for just about 7 or 8 minutes.

I like the old Italian standard of sausage, potato, chicken, peppers and onions roasted together in the oven.

Many variations exist but, I just cut everything up toss it in olive oil, add some garlic, salt and pepper then roast it for an hour or so at 400 - 425 degrees. When its done and everything is tender I hit it with a shot of red wine vinegar or some fresh lemon juice.

mmmmm, we call that sausages and chicken murphy! i love the stuff! :yum:

You can see the amount of fat in a sausage. And when I see alot of it, then I am sure to prick them. :angel:

I did turkey sausages. i par boiled them for about 10 mins, then roasted them at 375 for another 10mins. They were perfect. I did not pierce them and they didn't burst.

I put my sausages on a baking tray, prick once or twice and stick them under the grill (broiler). Wait until brown and turn once to brown the other side.

I cook them slowly on the grill if possible. If not, I use a skillet. I've never used the oven.

I've sorta roasted Italian sausages in a side dish with fresh fennel and potatoes.

I use my NuWave oven and I love them when they're cooked in that thing. I never prick the sausage so it's stays nice and juicy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom