Question about sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
This may be a stupid question but it won't be the first....surely it won't be the last:LOL:... but,

Can you get sausage like grounded beef?

For example, I get ground chuck and ground sirloin
because it doesn't have the grissle or whatever those
little knots that you bite down on in it. I don't like the little
hard parts in meat. Can you get sausage that way?

I love sausage but i rarely eat it because of the little bits in it. I got sausage once from a fresh kill and there were no little hard parts in it.
So I figure they must add something to it, like a filler or something
when you buy it from the store (shrugging).... Any suasage experts
in the house???

If the ingredients are cleaned properly and ground fine, there should rarely be an issue. Once in a while, a tiny bit can sneak through. I guess that's the price one pays to enjoy sausage.

If the ingredients are cleaned properly and ground fine, there should rarely be an issue. Once in a while, a tiny bit can sneak through. I guess that's the price one pays to enjoy sausage.

Maybe it's the brand of sausage I buy. Our grocer rarely carries fresh sausage.

jusnikki said:

Yes. Often times you will see "Market Made" sausage in bulk form...However my experience has been that this sausage is not always of the best quality....It will have a very high fat to lean ratio. ... Then again, depending on location...some of it can be very good.

Have you tried "roll" sausage...as in Jimmy Dean, Williams, Bryan etc. This is normally a better quality sausage. Even then a small piece of gristle will show up from time to time....I think it's just the nature of the beast...Williams is my favorite roll sausage.

Fun!

Yes. Often times you will see "Market Made" sausage in bulk form...However my experience has been that this sausage is not always of the best quality....It will have a very high fat to lean ratio. ... Then again, depending on location...some of it can be very good.

Have you tried "roll" sausage...as in Jimmy Dean, Williams, Bryan etc. This is normally a better quality sausage. Even then a small piece of gristle will show up from time to time....I think it's just the nature of the beast...Williams is my favorite roll sausage.

Fun!

Yes, that's what I get when I buy sausage, the Jimmy Dean.
I thought that maybe there would be a store brought one that
was as smooth as what you get fresh.

You know I haven't tried roll sausage. To me it's like hamburger
patties, lol and I don't like prepared patties. I really do hate being
picky but I can't help it..:(

I haven't ran into the gristle in a long time, either with burger or sausage.
I'd try a different brand or source.

Yes, that's what I get when I buy sausage, the Jimmy Dean.
I thought that maybe there would be a store brought one that
was as smooth as what you get fresh.

You know I haven't tried roll sausage. To me it's like hamburger
patties, lol and I don't like prepared patties. I really do hate being
picky but I can't help it..:(

Try the Williams "roll" sausage...Which is really just bulk....Don't care for Jimmy Dean at all.

Will do...

I guess I have to start being more adventurous like Timothy
and try more new things....lol.

You may not be able to get it that way Nickki, but you can certainly make it that way.
All you need to do is buy some ground chuck and make your own beef sausage.

Try this recipe. It couldn't be easier!

Breakfast Style Recipe Beef Sausage for the Home Sausage Maker

I find our locally ground grocer's sausage to be virtually gristle-free. I too get kinda grossed out by chewy junk in the sausage. Not that it stops me from eating it. (spit spit pluck).

Will check out your recipe, Kayelle!

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question but it won't be the first....surely it won't be the last:LOL:... but,

I love sausage but i rarely eat it because of the little bits in it. I got sausage once from a fresh kill and there were no little hard parts in it.
So I figure they must add something to it, like a filler or something
when you buy it from the store (shrugging).... Any suasage experts
in the house???

Like you I love sausages to. Depending on the quality of the meat to begin with the store bought stuff just isn't right.They add whatever they have to. Most likely didn't grind the meat enough. We no longer buy our meat or sausages at our local grocery store. What you did like was most likely prepped by a local butcher.
They want your business and most take pride in the craft of sausage making.

Here's a link for making your own sausages. Some of the recipes I've adapted to suit myself for soups and chili's. You don't always have to have the casings.

How to Make Sausage - Easy Recipes from SausageMania

Munky.

Nikki,
If you can get to a butcher shop , they will make whatever You like. How ever you like it! I make my own at times with wild game so I can controll what goes into the mix. You have to tell the butcher what you don't want.
Joe

agreed, munky.

i prefer a rougher grind to a finely ground sausage, beef or pork, but if made well you won't get gristle or cartiledge.

i buy my sausage at a little italian deli that makes their own, or occasionally from a supermarket that sells both factory made and store made by a great butcher.

if i have to go in bulk, i buy premio brand sausage.

had any bratwurst lately, nikki? the kind that's made with veal? you will not easily find another sausage as fine textured as bratwurst--and sooo delicious--for any meal of the day.... :)

Thank you kayelle & Chef Munky for the recipes.:)

I promised myself I'm going to try some of the sausages listed here, lol.
My husband eats bratwurst every now and then so I've seen them... Once I've tried them, I'll come back here and let you all know how I felt about them, lol.

Thank you all for your input. I'm just so please to know I can make my own sausage with ground chuck!!! yeaaaah!!!!

I agree with you I do not like the gristle in the sausage. You usually find this in any of the commercial made sausage. The big producers are not careful not to throw in the gristle and bone when making sausage. I butcher a hog every year and the sausage is delicious. I would suggest finding a local meat market and trying their sausage. If you do not have one near tell you butcher at your grocery that you want good sausage. You also can buy ground pork and add your own seasoning. This sage sausage recipe is one of my favorite How to Cook Pork; First Learn Cuts of a Pig and How to Cook Bacon Notice the picture of this page is like ground hamburger.

I agree with you I do not like the gristle in the sausage. You usually find this in any of the commercial made sausage. The big producers are not careful not to throw in the gristle and bone when making sausage. I butcher a hog every year and the sausage is delicious. I would suggest finding a local meat market and trying their sausage. If you do not have one near tell you butcher at your grocery that you want good sausage. You also can buy ground pork and add your own seasoning. This sage sausage recipe is one of my favorite How to Cook Pork; First Learn Cuts of a Pig and How to Cook Bacon Notice the picture of this page is like ground hamburger.

Thanks PC. You know, I never thought of asking my grocer's butcher about sausage. I know ever once in a while they have some that they have blended and it's good. But they don't keep it for some reason...

Kayelle and Munky, I'll bet your recipes would be good with bison too. Might have to experiment with my little stovetop smoker as well, that would give a good flavor.

Back
Top Bottom