Sausage Patties -vs- Sausage Links

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nutmegger1957

Assistant Cook
Along with my griddle cakes, I'm gonna make sausage (wife's request). I can't decide if I want to get sausage that I can cut into patties, or sausage links.

Pro's and Con's of each? Which is gonna cook faster? Which makes less splatter?

What do I need to know with regard to the choice between the two?

-Nutmegger1957

They are the same meat - just in different forms.

With a patty, the meat actually gets a little brown, and to some degree, crispy (depending on how long you cook it). Of course, browning meat adds a flavor element.

With a link, It's the casing that browns. This also adds a flavor element, but a little different one. Personally, I think the casing helps keep the juices (fat = flavor) in the sausage, instead of running out into the pan - that is, provided you don't stab and puncture them to much, and don't overcook them.

I prefer the patties. They get more contact with the pan and more browning. That said if links are what is on the plate I eat and enjoy them.

Pro for the patties: More browning of the meat. Con: They are drier

Pro for the links: They are moist. Con: they brown different and you have to deal with the casings. If they are cooked properly the casing should not be a problem. If it is the correct casing and cooked properly the snap can be a big pro.

First off, make your own sausage. It couldn't be easier. There are tons of great breakfast sausage recipes on the ol' 'net. If you don't have a sausage grinder or attachment for your Kitchen Aid (assuming you have one), you can make it in your food processor.
And, to answer your preference question, patties. As already mentioned, you get that wonderful browning right on the meat that results in a nice crust. And, you really don't lose much, if any, fat (AKA flavor) cooking patties. We use the steam and brown method when cooking patties. Put the patties into a hot pan that contains just a small amount of oil just to start browning. Add a small amount of water and clamp on a lid for a few minutes to cook the patties. After a few minutes, remove the lid and allow whatever water might be left to evaporate and to allow the patties to brown up nicely. Not "quick" as you asked about, but your patience will be rewarded. And, there will be a bit of spatter.

I meant to add, that if links are the only choice, that's fine for me. My preference is patties first, links second.

Last edited:
Hammster's suggestion that I make my own, is a great idea, and I will at some point.

That said, I bought uncooked breakfast sausage links this morning in the grocery store. The wife wasn't feeling well, so this mornings breakfast of griddle cakes and sausage will have to wait till tomorrow.

However, here's a question.........(and if you answer "til they are done," I'll.........)
How long is long enough to ENSURE they are cooked thru as much as they should be? Brown is one thing, raw inside is another.

-Nutmegger1957

If you are making the sausages yourself, for the first time, I would recommend making patties. They are easier to make. If you want to make links, you have to have special equipment for stuffing the meat into the casings. We often make breakfast sausages, as patties, we don't have the casing stuffing equipment/attachments. If you are making breakfast sausages, make sure the meat isn't too lean. Heck, that probably applies to most kinds of sausages.

Some loose breakfast sausage is hot. If you don't want a hot breakfast sausage, check the label.

Patties are not bangers as they do not go bang,Cumberland's are not links as they are not linked, but they are the missing link between patties and bangers.:)

I enjoy both but, I prefer the patties.

Keep a few precooked in the freezer.

Then you can pop a couple in the microwave to thaw when you start the pancakes.

However, here's a question.........(and if you answer "til they are done," I'll.........)
How long is long enough to ENSURE they are cooked thru as much as they should be? Brown is one thing, raw inside is another.

-Nutmegger1957

If the links are browned well on the outside, they will be done on the inside, they are usually small enough that they will cook through. If you are unsure, buy a meat thermometer and see that they come up to the correct temp listed on the package. The package should also have a suggested cooking time.

Along with my griddle cakes, I'm gonna make sausage (wife's request). I can't decide if I want to get sausage that I can cut into patties, or sausage links.

Pro's and Con's of each? Which is gonna cook faster? Which makes less splatter?

What do I need to know with regard to the choice between the two?

-Nutmegger1957

Welcome to DC Nutmegger.

Can you get to a Butcher shop? They usually have the best selection. Here it's " Local Favorite "

Bulk unseasoned sausage is more versatile. Cheaper in some ways. Not exactly easy stuff to work with. It gets sticky. Keeping your hands wet with cold water helps. Just work fast if your making patties. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the patties to begin with. I use a Hamburger patty press. Or wrap and roll it in wax paper and cut them out. Sausage is easier to cut if it's cold. That way they are all kept unformed sized. When the juices run clear they're done.

If the bulk sausage is unseasoned you can add your own spices to make breakfast sausage. I like adding a little extra Chili Flakes, or Maple syrup to the mix.

Links are what they are linked. The casings can always be taken off. Either one will splatter a bit. We prefer the patties here. The links never browned to anyone's liking. Casings can be a bit too tough as well.

Munky.

thanks to everyone for the thoughts, ideas, and suggestions.

-Nutmegger1957

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom