Ten Pounds of Breakfast Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished making some country sausage.

attachment.php

That is one beautiful mountain of meat Rock!

My Mom made homemade sausage, both country and fresh kielbasa. Had the grinder attachments for her Oster Kitchen Center. I've used it to grind beef for hamburgers but haven't made an attempt at sausage yet. I'd probably do patties just 'cuz I'm lazy slow.

Rock - my dad made sausage years ago, when I had to run the hand grinder and hated it. Fast forward 50 years and I miss it. I saw a show on ATK a few months back that tested store bought sausages. One of their tests showed that uncooked, even frozen sausage, developed flavors over time due to the high fat level. They found that the best way to keep sausage what to cook them first and then freeze. Have you seen this?

Hal

When we tried sausage a couple times we used our KA mixer and attachment.
We used the grinding attachment and the stuffing attachment.

Some time back I questioned how my sausage came out. It had a different texture than store bought.
There was some kind of emulsion I was told to use. It supposedly gives the sausage a more creamy texture. I cannot remember and would not try and make it again without it.
You could buy it (the emulsion) online at sausage making web sites too. What the purpose of the water?

Looks good Rock.

After the final grind and hand mixing the ingredients, use the paddle attachment and mix on medium-high for a couple minutes. Add a few TBSP of ice cold water as it mixes. This will give you a more homogenous mixture and the texture you want. Depending on how much sausage you are making, it might be necessary to do this in batches. You can also get after-market dies which work much better than the originals, IMO.

Rock - my dad made sausage years ago, when I had to run the hand grinder and hated it. Fast forward 50 years and I miss it. I saw a show on ATK a few months back that tested store bought sausages. One of their tests showed that uncooked, even frozen sausage, developed flavors over time due to the high fat level. They found that the best way to keep sausage what to cook them first and then freeze. Have you seen this?

Hal
No. I never did see it. Thanks for the tip, though. I will give it a try next time. I normally lay them out in a single layer on some trays and freeze them. Then I wrap them in tight packages of two(I did packages of six for these smaller ones) before bagging them again and storing them deep in the freezer where they don't get moved around much.

Hal
That reminds me of the Swift Premium Brown 'n Serves sausages.Those were the best tasting mass produced sausages I ever tasted. They were sold frozen. They quit selling them here in the late '80s or early '90s. I wonder if it was because they cost more per pound than uncooked sausages. It worked out to about the same price cooked.

Usually I make either patties, or just leave the meat loose - for example, to use on pizza or in pasta sauces. Or if I'm grilling it to serve in a bun, I just form the meat around a wooden skewer.

So you make an Italian type sausage rather than breakfast sausage.

So you make an Italian type sausage rather than breakfast sausage.
That's one type of sausage I make. After trying several recipes, I've been using the one below for Italian sausage. It's really a good recipe.

How to Make Homemade Sausage | Simply Recipes

Also, there are quite a few interesting recipes on this website for other types of sausage. Although most of the recipes make 5 lb batches, I usually just scale it down to a pound. Keep in mind that, even though it says otherwise, most of them don't really require casings if you don't want to use them.

Homemade Sausage Making Recipes from TheSpicySausage.com

Last edited:
I found recipes on NDSU's website that call for 70-90 lb of meat. I hope to modify the spreadsheet so that I can generate home-sized batches. Just haven't gotten that motivated.

When I make sausage, I like to season the cubed meat before grinding it. I make several different kinds of sausage at once. I mix up each kind and put the cubed meat and spices in ziplock bags overnight to 24 hours in the fridge, toss them in the freezer for about 30 minutes, and then grind the meat and add any liquid. I always put the metal parts of my meat grinder either (a) outside if the weather is below 0C or in the freezer when I prepare the meat.

Homemade Mild Italian Sausage Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

Thanks for the link CWS. I think it may be time for me to give sausage making a try.
It is easy-peasy. I always cook a "test" patty before grinding all the meat and fat so that I can tweak seasoning. I bought my meat grinder at CT. It came with a recipe book. The first time I made sausage, I followed the recipes provided.

CWS4322;1351290[COLOR=red said:
]I found recipes on NDSU's website that call for 70-90 lb of meat. I hope to modify the spreadsheet so that I can generate home-sized batches.[/COLOR] Just haven't gotten that motivated.

When I make sausage, I like to season the cubed meat before grinding it. I make several different kinds of sausage at once. I mix up each kind and put the cubed meat and spices in ziplock bags overnight to 24 hours in the fridge, toss them in the freezer for about 30 minutes, and then grind the meat and add any liquid. I always put the metal parts of my meat grinder either (a) outside if the weather is below 0C or in the freezer when I prepare the meat.

Homemade Mild Italian Sausage Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network
Try and get hold of a copy of Jane Grigson's "Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery". It's a book for home use so quantities are sensible and the recipes are very reliable.

I started making sausage Friday--cubed 4 kg of pork, added additional fat, spices to make a batch of Chorizo and Hungarian Hot (I planned to make Italian, but I was out of fennel. In keeping with my "policy" to use what I have on hand, I had everything to make Hungarian Hot). I let the cubes marinate overnight, did the coarse grind for each. I had to put the meat and the grinder back in the freezer and fridge to chill the grinder parts. I popped the bags of meat outside today (it was minus 25) for 2 hours. Although partially frozen, the meat ground beautifully for the 2nd (medium) grind. I did another patty of each and adjusted seasoning. I decided since I had casings to put 1/3 of each batch in casings. Now I'm enjoying a glass of Merlot. I find sausage making relaxing since I don't plan on eating the sausage the same day that I make it. It is something I make for the freezer for fast meals when I am hungry but don't want to go to too much effort, to top pizzas, etc.

Just about to embark on sausage making at home. I make my shelter guests a hot breakfast, and think I can make the breakfast sausage cheaper than buying it, plus it will be fresh and have no msg, preservatives, that kind of stuff. Looks like easy and fun. Patty at first, links later, after some practice. I have the grinder for my N50, with stuffing horns and plate.

Back
Top Bottom