"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Charcuterie and Sausage Making
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Cook
 
Flour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 82
Vegan or vegetarian sausage links, homemade?

I want to make some and can probably come up with a recipe, and I think I saw vegetarian casings on Amazon, but I cannot seem to find the hand stuffer.

- What are they called, to make my search easier?
(Manual with finger, not electrical- unless it is easier to just use a funnel that is the right size?)

- If you do have suggestions on the filling recipe that doesn't include seitan, I would love to hear.

Thank you in advance!

__________________

Flour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,286
I did a search on Amazon for "manual sausage stuffer" and got over 400 results. I also did a search for "vegetarian sausage casing." One of the results was for actual vegetarian casings. They're sold through Amazon and fulfilled by The Sausage Maker - http://www.sausagemaker.com/

I have a book called "Home Sausage Making" that includes a vegetarian chapter. It says any legumes (beans, peas, lentils, etc.) and many vegetables can be used for sausage stuffing. Just cook them, grind them up and season however you want. You will also need something to bind and moisten (eggs, butter, oil, wine, etc.) and a thickener like breadcrumbs, rolled oats, wheat germ, etc.

It's copyrighted in 2003 so truly vegetarian casings weren't available then. However, it suggests using vegetables or vegetable parts for shaping vegetarian sausages, like cabbage or Swiss chard leaves, the outer portion of leeks, corn husks (like tamales) or even flat breads. Or you can form them into patties or balls and not stuff them.

There are recipes for Wild Mushroom Sausage with Walnuts, Italian Bulgur and Bean Sausage Rolls, Portobello Sausage, Apple Tofu Sausage and more. Hint: if you do a search for those titles, you might find that someone has (illegally) posted them online. Or maybe as part of a cookbook review, you never know

Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
You can stuff the sausages by hand. There are a bunch of videos on youtube you can watch. And here is a webpage that has stuffing the sausages by hand using a funnel. How To Make Italian Sausage Without A Machine. Really! - Ciao Italia

Vegetarian, pretty much all grain, vegetables, fruit, dairy, and oils, are your choices, spice them up just like sausage. If you are looking for a 'chewing texture', you could try cooked up whole grain wheat, they are chewy and lack any strong flavor. I could see using them in a sausage.

Good luck and show us your pictures when you have figured it out.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Cook
 
Flour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 82
Thank you gg for the recipe info, fantastic. I do get sick of beans, though I can just season some tvp and mushrooms and be right as rain. ( I was more curious of people here who had actually tried their own and had tips on best recipes)
And thank you blissful, yes, I was thinking the funnel was my best option since when I search on amazon, the only place I order online from, only has the meat grinder type of dealies, but when watching rick bayless, he had a funnel looking finger stuffer.
Once we move into the house in a couple weeks, I will venture on to this! And I will make sure to get pictures!
Flour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flour View Post
Thank you gg for the recipe info, fantastic. I do get sick of beans, though I can just season some tvp and mushrooms and be right as rain. ( I was more curious of people here who had actually tried their own and had tips on best recipes)
Tell you what then. You let us know specifically when you want only personal experience, so we'll know. Otherwise, we get all confused and try to help anyway
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Cook
 
Flour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 82
I apologize. I am not used to discussion lists like this. I will remember that my idea of suggestion is more limited.
Flour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,882
Uncle's K Sausages

500 gram firm tofu
2 tsp paprika powder
0,5 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
0,5 tsp caraway seeds
1-1½ tsp salt
2 tsp tamari soy
0,25 tsp liquid smoke, more if you want too
black pepper after taste
100 ml rolled oat / oatmeal mixed to a powder.
2 tbsp potato starch / potato flour
2 tbsp rice flour

Mix all of this to a smooth paste in a food blender or mixer. Stuff in vegan casings and then simmer the sausage for 20 minute in slightly salted water. Now leave them over night in the fridge to mature the flavour, they can now be frozen. When you want to eat them fry in a bit of oil or vegan butter.

You can change the tamari for mushroom soy or other soy sauces but then use less. You can skip the caraway and use cumin, some people find caraway tasting soapy.

And yes I have made this one and according to uncle K it tasted good.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I did a search on Amazon for "manual sausage stuffer" and got over 400 results. I also did a search for "vegetarian sausage casing." One of the results was for actual vegetarian casings. They're sold through Amazon and fulfilled by The Sausage Maker - DIY Kitchen Supplies & Resources | The Sausage Maker, Inc.

I have a book called "Home Sausage Making" that includes a vegetarian chapter. It says any legumes (beans, peas, lentils, etc.) and many vegetables can be used for sausage stuffing. Just cook them, grind them up and season however you want. You will also need something to bind and moisten (eggs, butter, oil, wine, etc.) and a thickener like breadcrumbs, rolled oats, wheat germ, etc.

It's copyrighted in 2003 so truly vegetarian casings weren't available then. However, it suggests using vegetables or vegetable parts for shaping vegetarian sausages, like cabbage or Swiss chard leaves, the outer portion of leeks, corn husks (like tamales) or even flat breads. Or you can form them into patties or balls and not stuff them.

There are recipes for Wild Mushroom Sausage with Walnuts, Italian Bulgur and Bean Sausage Rolls, Portobello Sausage, Apple Tofu Sausage and more. Hint: if you do a search for those titles, you might find that someone has (illegally) posted them online. Or maybe as part of a cookbook review, you never know

Hope this helps.
Sounds like a trip to her local library would be in her best interest. And she can start with the book you just named and recommended.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:59 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Uncle's K Sausages

500 gram firm tofu
2 tsp paprika powder
0,5 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
0,5 tsp caraway seeds
1-1½ tsp salt
2 tsp tamari soy
0,25 tsp liquid smoke, more if you want too
black pepper after taste
100 ml rolled oat / oatmeal mixed to a powder.
2 tbsp potato starch / potato flour
2 tbsp rice flour

Mix all of this to a smooth paste in a food blender or mixer. Stuff in vegan casings and then simmer the sausage for 20 minute in slightly salted water. Now leave them over night in the fridge to mature the flavour, they can now be frozen. When you want to eat them fry in a bit of oil or vegan butter.

You can change the tamari for mushroom soy or other soy sauces but then use less. You can skip the caraway and use cumin, some people find caraway tasting soapy.

And yes I have made this one and according to uncle K it tasted good.
I'll try this as an alternative for the Superbowl party
web2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:21 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,882
You can add chili powder too it you want heat.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flour View Post
I want to make some and can probably come up with a recipe, and I think I saw vegetarian casings on Amazon, but I cannot seem to find the hand stuffer.

- What are they called, to make my search easier?
(Manual with finger, not electrical- unless it is easier to just use a funnel that is the right size?)

- If you do have suggestions on the filling recipe that doesn't include seitan, I would love to hear.

Thank you in advance!
Glamorgan sausages are very good and don't require casings. There are lots of recipes on line. They are based on potato and cheese but with a wide variety of other ingredients. They usually require eggs as a binder but I expect you know about egg substitutes/replacements.
__________________

__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
homemade, sage, sausage, vegan, vegetarian

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×