Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know Kathleen mentioned this earlier somewhere but I have been working on my Parmesan crisps. Heres the basic deal. You need a silicon baking mat and a flatish pan (I use a half sheet jelly roll pan).

Put some of the cheese (I have been using that thin shredded stuff from BJs) on the mat. Pat it so it spreads. Ideally you would have no gaps and only a shred thick. You won't hit the ideal but strive for it. Too thick isn't good and too thin means it just shatters and crumbles.

I start the oven at 350F while getting the cheese spread out. Once you have the mat mostly covered stick it in the oven. At about 10 minutes I rotate since our oven is defiantly hotter in the back (left) corner. At about 20 minutes they are done. You want a uniform dull golden brown color. The top really shouldn't look wet.

Pull the pan out of the oven and let it be for 10 minutes or so. Then I just fold in half to break em in two. Store in the fridge in a bag.

The first few batches I made were good, but they didn't get crispy enough, then I made a batch and forgot about them for a but and they ended up at 20ish minutes. :mrgreen:

These are a good cracker sub except they don't tolerate getting wet. Moist things (like the salmon dip) are fine, but they won't stay as sturdy as a saltine in soup for instance.

I do something very similar, except I just put little piles of parmesan onto parchment paper and nuke for 1 minute. After you let them cool for a minute or two they crunch up perfectly and peel right off the parchment paper. It's my favorite night-time treat!

Just wanted to add that this isn't just for parmesan. Other grated cheeses work the same way though you may need to adjust the cooking time a bit to get them just right.

I made up a batch of keto pancakes for breakfast this morning using Maria Emmerich's recipe (found here) and topped with Mrs. Butterworth's sugar free syrup. They were pretty good, but it was a bit of a trick to find the right temperature for frying them. Too high and they would burn before they were done. Too low and they never browned. I found a happy spot at medium low, which simply wouldn't work for traditional pancakes.

I might have to play with this recipe a bit. I used coconut flour, but next time I think I'll try almond flour instead. I also like my pancakes with more "tang." It might be worth experimenting with sour cream or yogurt as an ingredient.

I thought they looked and tasted pretty good, though.

img_1412157_0_13bc57ccbc56dc955785fc531ef9fb7e.jpg

Last edited:
Those look good Steve.

I did break down and buy some Xanthan Gum (EXPENSIVE) to use for slight thickening. It does wonders for a light thicken (jelling) of soy sauce based sauce in place of cornstarch. I used about a quarter teaspoon for about a quart of soup.

I have xanthan gum here, too, and have used it from time to time. But I've found that I get the most thickening bang from konjac root flour (also known as glucomannan).

It's tricky stuff to use, however. You have to add it ahead of time to whatever you want to thicken and then let it sit for 10-15 minutes to swell. It's kind of a guess as to how much to use because it's a very powerful thickener. The first time I made soup with it, I added a teaspoon to a cup of stock. Nothing. So I added another teaspoon and then another. Well, after sitting for several minutes it literally turned that cup of stock into chicken flavored jell-o. :rolleyes:

So now what I do is make up a thick base of water (or stock) and konjac. Then I spoon that into whatever I'm thickening until the consistency is right.

Konjac also has the unique property of binding to glucose in food so that it can't be absorbed by your body. Good for people like us who don't tolerate it well.

Last edited:
Konjac is the next paycheck experiment. The Xanthan was over $25 a pound, I only got 0.2 lb for about $5. At least I remembered that you only needed to use a little.

I do miss gravy. Did you ever try the Almond flour as a thickener, like in a roux?

I do miss gravy. Did you ever try the Almond flour as a thickener, like in a roux?
I did some gravy experimentation a couple of weeks ago, because we have a dinner party coming up soon, and I want to make sauerbraten with juniper gravy.

The konjac worked best, in my opinion. It makes a smooth gravy that's reminiscent of cornstarch thickened gravies. I didn't care for xanthan - it had kind of a snotty texture. I tried both almond and coconut flour, but they came out somewhat grainy and weird.

By the way, if you ever need to buy more xanthan, I've found Bob's Red Mill brand at my local grocer in the organic/natural foods section. I don't recall the price, but it seems to me it was under $10 for a pound. I figure a pound of the stuff will probably last me for the rest of my life, though, since I only use about a quarter teaspoon at a time.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at Bob's Red Mill Xanthan. The stuff I got was the Frontier brand in the bulk aisle at the expensive store.

Now to find the Konjac. I found glucomannan at the store I frequent, but it was in capsules.

I am on a quest to make savory Choux Pastry with Almond Flour. Then I can use the pastries for chicken/tuna salads, breakfast sandwiches, etc.

I'm very frustrated with myself this morning, and I think I need to stop experimenting. I've come to the realization that me and carbs (or carb-like things) simply do not get along.

Yesterday I tried to introduce a little more variety into our meals by making some coconut flour pancakes for breakfast and having burgers on almond flour buns for dinner. Even though both meals were technically low carb, the result this morning is that I am up 3.2 pounds since I weighed in on Friday. What the heck!? I haven't had a single gain in the previous 10 days.

If it were just me, I would chalk it up to water weight gain or something like that, but my wife, who has lost .2-.4 pounds every single day for the last two weeks is also registering a pound heavier on the scale this morning. And of course I'm getting an earful because of it.

I also have to admit that after eating those pancakes yesterday morning, I felt hungry and listless for the entire day. There just wasn't enough nourishment in that meal.

So I guess it's back to simple meat and vegetable dishes for me.

Last edited:
The only time I really have to do these kinds of things are on weekends. So I was trying to be efficient.

Unfortunately, the last time I tried these baking experiments also resulted in a weight gain. At the time I thought maybe it was a fluke, but now I'm convinced there's something about baked goods that just causes my body to rebel in a big way. Maybe all the years I spent making homemade bread are coming back to bite me.

Steve's pancake experiment got me started on a craving!

I went looking for [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix to make some pancakes, no luck! I did find this low carb pancake mix from a local company!

New Hope Mills

I tried it and was very pleased with the results. It is a little pricey considering that the package contains approx. 2 cups of mix for $5.70! I will definitely use it for a special treat now and then.

I'm still curious about the mix from Bob's Red Mill. If any of you have used it please let me know how you liked it.

I have mixed feelings about these little treats. I will still experiment with them, but I really think that I'm better off just focusing on what I can have and not trying to "have my cake" so to speak. I think these little treats cause my cravings to flair up and do me more harm than good. Oh well, nobody said it was easy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Steve's pancake experiment got me started on a craving!

I went looking for [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix to make some pancakes, no luck! I did find this low carb pancake mix from a local company!

New Hope Mills

I tried it and was very pleased with the results. It is a little pricey considering that the package contains approx. 2 cups of mix for $5.70! I will definitely use it for a special treat now and then.

I'm still curious about the mix from Bob's Red Mill. If any of you have used it please let me know how you liked it.

I have mixed feelings about these little treats. I will still experiment with them, but I really think that I'm better off just focusing on what I can have and not trying to "have my cake" so to speak. I think these little treats cause my cravings to flair up and do me more harm than good. Oh well, nobody said it was easy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Yeah, I'm still learning what works for me and what doesn't. I'll probably beat myself over the head a few more times until it sinks in. :LOL:

The New Hope product looks interesting, but I'd be somewhat concerned about the number one ingredient on the package: wheat gluten. Gluten, and most wheat products in general, is one of those things I've found wreaks havoc with my metabolism and seems to drive carb cravings. So I've been trying to avoid it.

On the success side of things, I had a nice victory yesterday. I tried on an old pair of size 36 waist jeans and they fit! And by "fit" I mean it wasn't even a struggle to fasten them. I haven't worn that size since my wife and I started dating. So I went out last night and treated myself to some new wardrobe items, mostly smaller pants and shirts. In my old clothes, I was beginning to look like I was wearing someone else's hand-me-downs (which in a sense, I was).

Keto on, team!! :punk:

Yeah, I'm still learning what works for me and what doesn't. I'll probably beat myself over the head a few more times until it sinks in. :LOL:

The New Hope product looks interesting, but I'd be somewhat concerned about the number one ingredient on the package: wheat gluten. Gluten, and most wheat products in general, is one of those things I've found wreaks havoc with my metabolism and seems to drive carb cravings. So I've been trying to avoid it.

On the success side of things, I had a nice victory yesterday. I tried on an old pair of size 36 waist jeans and they fit! And by "fit" I mean it wasn't even a struggle to fasten them. I haven't worn that size since my wife and I started dating. So I went out last night and treated myself to some new wardrobe items, mostly smaller pants and shirts. In my old clothes, I was beginning to look like I was wearing someone else's hand-me-downs (which in a sense, I was).

Keto on, team!! :punk:

Congratulations on the new duds, toss the old ones in the mission barrel and never look back! :clap:

Back
Top Bottom