Reheating Smoked Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steviek

Assistant Cook
We are buying a whole smoked turkey from a local meat store again this year. Last year it took forever to heat up in the oven and ended up dry. I sous vide a ton of stuff and was wondering if anyone has done something like that with sous vide. I'm wondering about time and temp. The bird is fully cooked and refrigerated not frozen.

You can get very good results with SV reheating. The problem will be having a container big enough to hold the bird. Even if you read it down to legs and breasts, it'll need a lot of room. Once you prep and seal up the parts, I'd go for 140ºF for the water temperature. Since it's already cooked, all you need to do is reheat it. I would expect the turkey skin to be soggy.

Not sure about the time. I suggest you visit several SV equipment sites. They have a lot of recipes. You may also be able to ask questions on their sites.

My question is, why are you putchasing a pre-smoked bird when it is so easy to smoke your own yurkey. Of course, if you don't have access to a charcoal grill. Smoker, or gas grill, you can't smoke the turkey. If you do have access to fire, and want to try smoking your own turkey, i can provide step by step instructions to produce the most tender and juicy turkey, with a gorgeous, crispy ski n.

In answer to your wustion about SV, if you butterfly, then cut the bitd into 2 halves, it will ne easier to fit it all into the bag. Another option, and one that gave me great results, was to debone my cooked bird the night before, plcee it into an electric roasting pan and cover it witb turkey broth, then set the temp control to 145 degrees, and let it all heat up for about 2 hours. The meat was extremely juicy and tdnder, and was well received at the function where it was served. You have options for getting a fabulous bird, whether you smoke it yourself, or purchase it pre-cooked. Of couse I prefer to smoke it myself. That way, I know what the quality will be. Often times, pre-cooked poultry is overcooked. At least that's my opinion

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think the sous vide method is the way to go, provided you have a big enough water container to hold the whole bird. One of those turkey size cooking bags should work well, as long as you keep the twist tie opening out of the water.

By the way, welcome to Discuss Cooking and if you choose this method please let us know how it turned out, and what you learned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom