498,652 cucumbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The foodbank is always willing to take fresh produce to give out with their food hampers. I know the food bank in my city gets a lot of fresh produce from people that have grown more then they can use. I know its much appreciated!

The "Cuke", an award-winning drink

Got this drink recipe from another forum. Going to try it Sunday.

You can make a VAT and have a very large party. :)

Lee

COOK’S NOTE: These “Cukes” must be made at least a half hour ahead to develop their full flavor.

SERVES 6
6 limes, rinsed
1 cup, (packed measure) mint leaves – no stems (plus 6 sprigs for garnish)
3 unwaxed cucumbers, English or hothouse cucumbers are good
1/2 cup, sugar
2 cups, vodka or gin (the recipe creator favors Hendrick’s gin)
sparkling water

Thinly slice 3 of the limes and place the slices in a pitcher. Juice the rest and add the juice to pitcher. Add the mint leaves. Slice 2 of the cucumbers and add them to the pitcher, then add the sugar. Muddle the ingredients (mix and crush slightly to develop flavors). Add the vodka or gin. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to steep for 30 minutes or longer.
Peel the remaining cucumber and cut it length-wise into 6 spears. Fill 6 highball or other large glasses with ice. Strain the mixture from pitcher into each prepared glass. Top with a splash of sparkling water, garnish each glass with a sprig of mint and a cucumber spear, and serve.

Recipe adapted from Adam Frank’s original (the Summer Cocktail for 2006 winner, see introductory note) The New York Times (June 21, 2006)

God only gave us cucumbers because he also gave us vinegar so that we could pickle them into something that tastes good.

Banana Brain said:
God only gave us cucumbers because he also gave us vinegar so that we could pickle them into something that tastes good.
LOL That is the only way I will even look at a cucumber. I love pickles (both dill and sweet), but I hate cucumbers!

:) Barbara

grumblebee said:
The foodbank is always willing to take fresh produce to give out with their food hampers. I know the food bank in my city gets a lot of fresh produce from people that have grown more then they can use. I know its much appreciated!
What a beautiful idea to suggest Grumblebee :)

First culinary thing that springs to my mind is a whole lot of Greek salad! :D

Last edited:
But just how many slices of bread would it take to use 498,652 cucumbers???

QSis said:

Lee

COOK’S NOTE: These “Cukes” must be made at least a half hour ahead to develop their full flavor.

SERVES 6
6 limes, rinsed
1/2 cup, sugar
sparkling water

Thinly slice 3 of the limes and place the slices in a pitcher. Juice the rest and add the juice to pitcher. Add the mint leaves. Slice 2 of the cucumbers and add them to the pitcher, then add the sugar. Muddle the ingredients (mix and crush slightly to develop flavors). Add the vodka or gin. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to steep for 30 minutes or longer.
Peel the remaining cucumber and cut it length-wise into 6 spears. Fill 6 highball or other large glasses with ice. Strain the mixture from pitcher into each prepared glass. Top with a splash of sparkling water, garnish each glass with a sprig of mint and a cucumber spear, and serve.

Recipe adapted from Adam Frank’s original (the Summer Cocktail for 2006 winner, see introductory note) The New York Times (June 21, 2006)

I did make this drink last weekend and it's delicious! With the cukes, limes, and mint, it's VERY refreshing! I cut the recipe in half.

Lee

Give them away to who can not have a garden or the food shelf that was mentioned. Most people appriciate the hand outs of fresh veggies. Maybe you could make a trade too.

My goodness, that's half a million cucumbers! How big is your garden? Who counted all those cukes?

Let's see...you could can dill pickles whole and sliced into chips, bread and butter pickles, and cucumber relish. Then there's cucumbers and onions marinated in white vinigar, salt and sugar as a side dish. And there about as many recipes for cucumber salads as you have cucumbers.

I thing you have enough cukes to eat your fill and give away a bunch, too.

I like this Idea...very different!
QSis said:

Lee

SERVES 6
6 limes, rinsed
1/2 cup, sugar
sparkling water

I like this, very different!

Back
Top Bottom