"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Executive Chef

A Green Tomato Recipe

With the coming of winter, those of us with gardens, become saddled with a lot of green tomatoes that will never ripen on the vine because the weather has just gotten too cold for that. One thing to do with the green tomatoes is to pick them and keep them indoors until they turn red on their own after a few days. However, many of us consider fried green tomatoes a seasonal delicacy. If you have any green tomatoes available, you can give this dish a try.

In order to fry, cut the green tomatoes into circular slices 1/4-1/3 inch thick. Salt them lightly, dust them with flour, and deep fry them in hot olive oil. Once fried, you can serve with a sauce or dip of your choice. Personally, I prefer light soya sauce but I also make Skordalia for my DH.

The fried green tomatoes must be eaten as quickly as possible as they turn soggy within a few minutes.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
In our house, we prepare our fried green tomatoes a little differently. I slice them about as thick as you do, but I don't salt them. I first dip them in a little beaten egg and then in seasoned dry Italian bread crumbs. I put the breaded slices on a waxed paper-lined tray and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, which allows the breading to "set."

When ready to fry, we heat about 1/2 inch of canola oil and fry the tomato slices until crisp and brown on both sides, then drain on a wire rack. We serve them dusted with grated Parmesan cheese.

Sometimes we'll use the tomatoes on BLTs. Very yummy!

Old 11-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

That's an interesting idea. Will try your recipe next time when I fry green tomatoes as I have already fried and eaten some tonight.

Tags
None