Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Awesome!

Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairygirl69 View Post
Awesome!
You just have to make sure you keep that paper towel wet. Then if you pick the beans, the kids will only be to happy to eat something they grew. It is a lot of lessons in one. It shows the kids where our food comes from, and it also shows them how plants grow.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Executive Chef

When I was a kid my mother made succotash using canned creamed corn. I loved it, but my husband doesn't so I rarely make it. It reminds me of my childhood.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I hate big lima beans. I'll have to try the baby ones. I do like fava beans.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks for this recipe, I love succotash...and lima beans of any age. Just have to cook them right for their age.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
Wine Guy

I've always liked succotash, but to me the secret ingredient that makes it especially good is bacon.

Many years ago, I had a girlfriend who made it with okra. To this day, that and gumbo were the only two dishes I liked that contained okra.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
When I was a kid my mother made succotash using canned creamed corn. I loved it, but my husband doesn't so I rarely make it. It reminds me of my childhood.
I love the idea of using the creamed corn. Will keep it in mind for future use. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You just have to make sure you keep that paper towel wet. Then if you pick the beans, the kids will only be to happy to eat something they grew. It is a lot of lessons in one. It shows the kids where our food comes from, and it also shows them how plants grow.
If you do the science experiment, do not let the kids eat the raw Lima beans. Lima Beans in the U.S. are safer to use as most of the bean's natural defensive mechanism has been bread out of them. But if you don't know where teh beans come from, do not eat them raw. Even if you do, I wouldn't eat them raw. The same is true of several edible beans. Lima and kidney beans should never be eaten raw. Those that have found their way into a can have been cooked before canning.

Raw Lima beans contain a specific poison that is rendered harmless by boiling for at least 10 minutes. Some beans, such as castor beans, are very poisonous, and yet castor oil can be consumed.

Take a quick look at this - 10 Everyday Fruits and Vegetables that are Poisonous to get an idea of some of the common foods that we eat, and what parts of them, or even the food itself, is poisonous.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Here's a succotash recipe I kind of stole from Sara Moulton. She's short and easy to beat up, so it wasn't hard to take it from her.

SUFFERIN’ SUCCOTASH

Ingredients:
  • ¼ pound sliced bacon
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
  • 1 large fresh Jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
  • ¾ pound cherry tomatoes (1 pint), halved
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:
Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.

Add onion to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in corn, jalapeno, lima beans, and tomatoes and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve succotash with bacon crumbled over the top.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Mmm that looks good!

Tags
cook, cookbook, recipe

A succotash recipe from my antique, out of print cookbook find I altered this recipe to what I had on hand. I also believe that it can be "veganised". It is VERY important that you buy the green lima beans from the frozen vegetable section. Otherwise you won't get the same result and a much inferior dish. The recipe is meant for fresh vegetables but I have yet to find fresh green lima beans. Lima Bean And Corn Succotash 2 cups lima beans (I used two packages frozen green lima beans) 1 T sugar 1 t pepper (I used black) 3 T butter (a vegan substitute can be made here) 3 cups raw corn kernels (about two drained cans or two regular frozen packs) I used canned bc that's what I had available. I think fresh cut or frozen would be tastier. 1 t salt (I prefer sea salt) 1/4 c milk or cream (I used 2% milk bc that's what I had on hand but next time I'll use whole milk). A vegan substitute can be made here 1 t grated onion or onion juice. I used dry onion powder. NOT onion salt. Combine ingredients in a sauce pan. Let simmer slowly 20 minutes and serve. Yields six servings as a side dish but I think it's good enough for a main dish. 3 stars 1 reviews