"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Aged Garlic

I think I am going to give this a try. Apparently there are major health benefits and sounds like it will taste good, to boot!
Aged Garlic | Culinary Inspiration with Chef Frank Giglio

Old 01-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Master Chef

Yum!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

That sounds worth a try. I'll have to wait until I can get some decent heads of garlic (either from CA or Argentina). That will have to wait until I'm back from TX--my two trips into Ottawa between now and when I leave are going to be daytrips already. And, note to self--get Apple Cider vinegar at the same time that has mother in it. I haven't been to Rainbow Foods for a long time...might get organic horseradish root there too!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Wine Guy

There is a booth at our local Renaissance Fair that sells garlic aged in vinegar with various herbs. I think they use Champagne vinegar, though. It's pretty good and a lot mellower in flavor than you might think.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Head Chef

Since we had a recent long discussion of garlic kept in oil, it should be noted that apple cider vinegar typically ranges from 4.5 to 5.00 pH. The botulism organism grows in a pH environment of 4.8 or higher. Apple cider vinegar begins close to or within that range, and when you pack a jar with garlic or any other plant product, you raise the pH from dilution. Garlic itself is 7.00 pH and higher. Garlic was the most common offender in oil, due to the frequency with which it is preserved and because it grows under the soil. It will therefore be a higher risk than above ground products preserved at room temperature in vinegar. Obviously, the number of botulism cases from garlic in oil is very small, compared to the number of people who keep it in oil. And garlic in vinegar is probably a lesser risk, but apple cider vinegar cannot be counted on to maintain a safely hostile environment for botulism. There have been botulism cases from home-canned pickles, although I suspect some of these were from recipes that mixed vinegar and water. If you want to be especially safe, garlic also cures in vinegar when refrigerated, and that keeps the temperature below the critical 40F. It should also be noted that keeping garlic in alcohol causes the same conversion to water solubles that is the beneficial effect in vinegar. I think alcohol is the method used to produce no-odor garlic supplement products, and alcohol would seem the more safe method, although you obviously don't get the garlic flavored vinegar as a byproduct.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
...it should be noted that apple cider vinegar typically ranges from 4.5 to 5.00 pH.
Are you sure about that? That sounds more like the percentage of acetic acid. I don't know about cider vinegar specifically, but I do know that wine vinegar is typically in the 3.0-3.5 pH range.

I have a pH meter. I guess I can check it tonight when I get home.

EDIT: this link I found says that raw apple cider vinegar has a pH in the 2.8-3.0 range.

Is Vinegar Acid or Alkaline?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Head Chef

I was a little surprised, too, and it's by no means clear. Bragg's ACV is said to be much lower in pH. But multiple other references claim ACV is typically lower in acidity than white vinegar. Maybe the difference is between "raw," meaning as it was fermented, and a diluted form sold as ACV.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My wine vinegar, unpasteurized organic apple cider vinegar, and the white vinegar I use for cleaning all say that they have 5% acetic acid by volume. I don't know what that works out to in pH.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Commercial vinegars are often adjusted to a set percentage such as 5%. If you start with raw ACV, I don't know if it's naturally more or less acidic and whether it has to be adjusted up or down to 5%. If the raw is more acidic, and therefore lower in pH, you'd be all set.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I would like to add a note of caution here for diabetics. The OTC garlic products promoting health benefits contain a warning that it is not to be used by diabetics as it can cause a dangerous and dramatic rise in sugar levels. I am talking about the garlic pills.

Now I don't know if this would apply to the aged garlic in vinegar or not. But it seems like it would be worth lookiing into. I use garlic in all my cooking. So far, no health problems. But I use it in moderation. And I doubt if anyone here is going to sit down and ingest a whole jar of aged garlic in one sitting. Happy eating.

Tags
garlic