"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Master Chef

Another evil but wonderful potato technique

I just learned the name of this potato dish from an elderly Irish woman, 2 days ago. Now I can't remember it. We were discussing recipes and cooking techniques, total strangers to each other but loving every minute of the conversation.

So, here's the recipe/technique, modernized a bit to save time. I call it evil because potatoes, in all of their various recipes and incarnations, are just not a healthy food for me to eat. But they taste soooooo yummy.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Microwave several avarage sized yukon-gold potatoes until done through. Remove from the oven and slice sideways, relative to the length, into 1/16 inch slices until allmost through. The potatoe slices must still be connected by a bottom skin. Gently place the potatoes on a lightly greased, aluminum foil lined cookie sheet and gently seperate the slices. Drizzle melted butter between the slices (you could also sprinkle in some chives, bacon bits, etc.). Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes while you other foods are cooking. The slice edges will have crisped just slightly.

These are yummy!

Oh, and if you know the correct name for this dish, please share it.

I can see using this technique for sweet potatoes as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm an Irish woman, G'weed. Not elderly yet, but what you've just described is almost identical to a potato dish I've made for years. I sprinkle a little shredded Swiss cheese on before I bake them. They are just sooooo good.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

The method is similar to a recipe on the pioneerwoman site called crash hot potatoes. They sound delicious.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I make something like that called accordian potatoes.
Heres my version
Cut red potatoes in thin slices but not to the botton slice aprox 1/8"
Dab butter between slices you can also put a tiny bit of fresh herb, salt & pepper
Bake on foil and covered with foil I like to add a little water bake until done
Take top foil off and run under broiler till nice and brown on top
I used to bake ahead then heat up and then run under broiler. Saves alot of time if you are cooking for a big bunch
Old 06-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I will be trying this - I'm just a spring chic and have never heard of this before (watch it Katie)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Sous Chef

This sounds delicious and beautiful. I can't wait to try it!

I can't imagine how to slice the potato uniformly without ending up losing some of the slices. I would normally use a mandoline to make slices that thin, but since this has to be done by hand, it sounds like it would take a great deal of skill and time. Is there a secret to the accordion-technique?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
This sounds delicious and beautiful. I can't wait to try it!

I can't imagine how to slice the potato uniformly without ending up losing some of the slices. I would normally use a mandoline to make slices that thin, but since this has to be done by hand, it sounds like it would take a great deal of skill and time. Is there a secret to the accordion-technique?
Set potato on cutting board put a pencil on both sides they will keep you from cuttin all the way thru. Slice but don't end up cutting ends off.The slices don't need to be exact. By the way they look beautiful when done the broiler makes the slices open up.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Set potato on cutting board put a pencil on both sides they will keep you from cuttin all the way thru. Slice but don't end up cutting ends off.The slices don't need to be exact. By the way they look beautiful when done the broiler makes the slices open up.
I use two wooden spoons, jp. The bowls of the spoons keep them from shifting/rolling.

Aren't the potatoes pretty when they open up and get golden and a bit crusty?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I use two wooden spoons, jp. The bowls of the spoons keep them from shifting/rolling.

Aren't the potatoes pretty when they open up and get golden and a bit crusty?
They are pretty they make a nice presentation fresh parsley to finish is nice. The spoon idea is much, much better . I will make a mental note on that.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
What a terrific technique! I'm glad I asked. This one sounds like a real show stopper.

Katie- thanks for the tip to keep everything steady. I don't need any help making a mess, that's for sure!

Tags
None