"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Head Chef
Cut it into florets
Steam or roast to desired tenderness
Add salt and pepper plus butter.
That's it. Ready to serve and it's tasty.
If you're feeling like more work sprinkle grated cheese (Your Choice) on top.

Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Love roasted cauliflower too. And I always use leftover cauliflower from whatever method for cauli-cheese soup.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #13
Master Chef
Mine is sure vegetarian, not so much fast or healthy, well to a degree. But darn tasty. I use frozen to speed up the process. Put Cauliflower in the water bring to a boil, drain. Drizzle with bread crumbs. Separately preheat some oil in a frying pan. Throw Cauliflower in, saute for couple - three minutes. Done.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
Executive Chef
I have had it dipped in batter and deep-fried but I wasn't impressed. You might like to try it though.
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #15
Sous Chef
I like to make it just steamed with a quick sauce of cream gravy and frozen peas.

steam 1 head or so of cauli in a pot with a bit of water, then drain.

in a small pot make a roux of
2tbs flour and either 2tbs oil or butter.

just cook a little then stir in 1cp milk and boil till thick
add salt and pepper and even spices, thyme , nutmeg, chillis to taste. I don't add spices other than a lot of black pepper.

Is this vegitarian?

Eric, Austin tx.
add a pkg of frozen peas to hot cauli, then cover with cream sauce.
Let sit for 10 minutes and its great!
giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #16
Head Chef
A fairly quick, tasty method for a cauliflower side dish is to saute a medium onion in a fair amount of butter and oil until soft, adding some garlic (optional). Then add about half a medium cauliflower, broken up into small florets (about 1" size pieces), stirring it in well.

Lower the heat, and cook with a lid on for 10 - 15 mins.
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
Master Chef
So many good sounding ideas! I seldom think to buy it as I'm always more interested in adding green veggie's to our diet. I'll have to add a head to the grocery list.

I had another friend from "ages ago potluck days", who made a wonderful sweet and sour salad made with fine chopped raw cauliflower, red onion, and tri colored bell pepper. Very pretty, and everyone loved it. Today I think I'd add some sunflower seeds.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #18
Head Chef
Went with the Roasted Cauliflower, a little olive oil and a sprinkle of a spice mix/ rub I found among my spices. Originally i was going to wait til spring to sprinkle it on a few ears of corn, but couldnt wait. came out great, but Im looking forward to trying all the other ideas listed above. Thanks for all the replies.

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #19
Master Chef
Glad it worked out well for you, Larry - what was your spice mix you used? Just curious, I'm always looking for new spice and herb blends for veggies.

I'm going to go get a head of cauliflower tomorrow - I've got a craving for it now too, after reading all these great recipes and ideas.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
Head Chef
Im not exactly sure what the spice mix consists of. My friend gave me thise little samples . One said ' poultry spice mix', another ' meat spice mix' and the other was ' jerk spice rub'. I wanted to go with the jerk spice rub, but it was kind spicy and no one else would have eaten it. I wound up using the Poultry one. I can definitely detect onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. there is definitely more in it, something is tangy almost lemony, but unfortunately the exact ingredients are not listed. being a vegetarian, i didnt know what to use them for. I was going to hit up some corn on the cob with them, but then this cauliflower came along.

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote

cauliflower, recipe

Any good quick Cauliflower Side Dish recipes So tonight Im having a vegetarian version of a " Beef Stew". Im serving it with wild rice. Ive had this cauliflower sitting in my fridge for a week or two. Still looks good, but I know its time is limited. I want to use it tonight as a side dish to get rid of it before it rots and stinks up the fridge. So, just curious if anyone has any suggestions for relatively quick and easy cauliflower side dishes. Only rules are: 1) vegetarian 2) Relatively quick and easy, as I have other cooking to do. 3) Preferably on the healthier side, as Im trying to watch myself. 4) Grilling is not an option, as my grill has 2 + feet of snow on it :wacko: Thanks Larry 3 stars 1 reviews