"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Any Vegetarians or Vegans out there?

Hey Hey,
I am a Vegetarian, have been for some years. I am looking for people who are also Vegetarians or Vegans to swap and share recipes with. Being constantly creative and keeping things fresh in the kitchen can be difficult when only working with plant matter. Holla.
Bethsy

Old 01-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #2
Head Chef

I've been looking for some interesting vegetarian recipes and menus. Several teens are becoming vegetarians, one is mine. He told me that he ate a baked potato and fries for lunch. These are football players and auto tech type people who are used to eating Hungry Man dinners.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:31 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Isn't there an entire section on this site devoted to vegetarian meals? Head over there and you'll find plenty of like-minded people (... and even people like me sometimes since I prefer to eat meat-less meals often, if not exactly always...).
Old 01-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Isn't this the Vegetables and Vegetarians forum? Is there another place hiding away?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Cook

Hi, I have resently gone to a vegetable based diet for health reasons. I made this recipe for sheperd's pie the other day. It turned out pretty good, although you may not concider it shepherd's pie.

1 med onion, chopped 1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp dried thyme 2 T ketchup
1 T flour 10 oz. favorite veggies. chopped, streamed
salt and pepper 3 cups mashed potatoes

Oven to 425. Saute onions and garlic until soft. Add thyme and ketchup and flour. Stir. Add 1/2 water and veggies. warm through and add salt and pepper. Spoon into a 2 quart baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over veggies. Bake 10 to 15 minutes.

Hope you like it,
Av
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Cook

Ack, this is the first time i posted a recipe and it looks terrible :( Sorry about that. Next time i will make the list all in one column.

Av
Old 01-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hey Av,
I think you did really well! I make shepards pie quite often becaue of it's comfort food factor. The brilliant thing about being a vegetarian is that there are so many "meat substitute" products now (at least here in Australia) that there really is no need to eat meat. I use alot of Santiarium products. Also consider things like lentils and chickpeas. They are delicious, filling and are a great source of vitamins.
Protein is a major problem (as well as iron) in a vegetarian diet. Animal flesh has basically no carbs in it and is all protein. Protein keeps people feeling fuller longer and also uses alot of energy to digest. I am only saying this because the recipe you wrote has no protein in it. Can i suggest you mix some cheese in with the mash potatoe you put on top? Also you could add something like Paneer (and Indian cheese that basically has no flavour but sucks up all the flavours in the dish to bulk it out).
I hope this is some help to you. I am in a bit of a rush. I look forward to posting and sharing some more recipes with you in the future :)
Betsy.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Cook

Thanks for info Bethsy. I have never heard of Santiarium. What is it? I have been tring to work in protein but it is hard. I am new to tofu but have had success with chickpeas and lentils. I used tofu in a vegetarian Moussaka and it was really good. Oh and chickpeas in a vindaloo type stew. Oh man that was good stuff. Darn now i am getting hungry. :)

Av
Old 01-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Master Chef

Bethsy - how vegetarian are you? Do you eat eggs & dairy products? Do you have any specific ethnic cuisines that you like/hate?

While we're not vegetarians per se, my husband hasn't eaten any red meat or red meat products for over 34 years, so our diet revolves around poultry, seafood, & LOTS of vegetarian meals, resulting in my having to become quite inventive to keep things both healthy & interesting.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Cook

My daughter is also a vegetarian and has been since she was 8...she is now 13. I was a vegetarian during the time she was pregnant.

I have many recipes that are vegetarian recipes. and some that I have veggie-ized (I made that word up)

Tags
None