Anyone ever tried oyster mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fried fish

Washing Up
Some people might think they are gross, but I tried them awhile back...and they are good.. they kinda have a seafood taste to them.

yep, another fan. have made them in stir fry's, and with white wine and butter and herbs.

I didn't actually go out in the woods and get mine, LOL.. they sell them at a market called Wegmans here. I just sautéed mine with alittle garlic in olive oil and had that as a side to some sizzlin' prawn (like shrimp, but smaller). I call it sizzlin' prawn. You could use shrimp, also.. in alittle olive oil, minced garlic, minced chile pepper (or a dash of red pepper flakes), and of course fresh lemon wedges!

I love them, they are also nice with other mushrooms cooked in a wee bit of stock with some soy and served with rice, pasta or in an omlette. Yum!

sounds good kyles!

I would also have to have a good piece of pan casero (spanish bread) to soak up the juice!
yum.gif
And, why not a drop or two of dry sherry!

I agree that they have a slightly seafood flavor to them, guess that's how they got their name (or we have a great power of suggestion going). Can't get them often. But when I can I plan a stir fry around them, or use them with a bunch of other types of mushrooms in a sauce to get a real depth of mushroom flavor.

Oyster mushrooms are great. I have them a few times a month.

I quickly saute them over high heat with shallots and butter. Then I add a bit of chicken stock and toss with pasta, basil, and parmesan.

I like mushrooms, period. These, though, have a very distinct flavor (like you said Claire).

your ideas sound good kyles, coco, claire and tom

I love all kinds of mushrooms. I am quite spoiled that HEB Central Market in Houston has such a wide variety of fresh choices. Some of my favorites are oyster, hen of the woods, porcini, morels, trumpet royale, lobster, hedgehog, and shiitake to name a few. They each have such unique tastes - I think people should try to be a bit more adventurous and give some of the lesser know varieties a try as they are quite delicious!

We live in mushrooming land, and a freind takes us out every spring. The big deal is morels, and every year we've gotten quite a haul. The friend knows his stuff, and we sometimes take back a few other types as well. Mushroom season is the same as asparagus season, so we often sautee the morels and pour over a venison or pork tenderloin, and have lightly steamed asparagus on the side. Yummmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom