Anyone have a good: Garlic cream cheese mashed potato recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacardi

Senior Cook
I've made these 10 times, twice they came out great. Other 8 times they stink, lol.

Everytime I've made them I just googled the recipe. Twice had good results.

I know all that's in them is pototoes, cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, garlic salt and pepper.

I am open to other ingredients. Anyone know a good recipe?

Thanks!

If 8 times out of 10 something did not taste good why do you insist on making it again?

How about making something else, like plain old mashed potato that taste great?

It is so so hard to screw up Garlic Mashed Potatoes. And I don't say this to make you think you're the problem. However, in order to help you, you do need to tell us WHY the eight times came out bad. Bitter? Gluey? Not garlicy enough?

Off the top, I'm thinking that you're probably buying & using really OLD garlic. Are the garlic heads you're buying hard & crisp? When you cut them open, are they clear through, or are there green sprouts in the center? What type of potatoes are you using? This can be a factor as well. You can't just glom anything together & expect magic - lol!!!

You need superior ingredients to turn out a superior dish - even a side dish like Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

Like Breezy said, it is hard to diagnose with more info but I normally use a red-skinned potato cooked in just a little bit of water, with salt, pepper and fresh or minced garlic in the microwave. Then I mash with butter, and when well mashed, I add a slurp of cream and mix well. I vary between using cream cheese, or parmesan, or no cheese at all. At the end, I just give it a quick zap again just to get it hot again. Some fresh chives, parsley or sage can give it a nice flavour too.

Bacardi, when I make garlic mashed potatoes, I use roasted garlic and squeeze the roasted cloves into my potatoes as I mash them. Then I add cream or half-and-half and my butter and seasonings. I think this is when I would include some softened cream cheese to the mix. You really don't need a recipe per se to make garlic/cream cheese/mashed potatoes. All the ingredients are readily available and inexpensive enough to "play" with them until you get what you want. Create your own recipe.

I boil the potatoes with the garlic in the water. From the sounds of the recipe, my personal feelings are that the garlic SALT is the problem. Garlic salt has parsley in it and it's a courser salt. You can't be boiling it, or maybe you are and you probably shouldn't be. My recipe calls for kosher salt and garlic in the water to boil the potatoes. After, mash and add the butter, pepper, cream cheese and slowly add the heavy cream. I wonder if you are missing a comma between garlic and salt.

I've made these 10 times, twice they came out great. Other 8 times they stink, lol.

Everytime I've made them I just googled the recipe. Twice had good results.

I know all that's in them is pototoes, cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, garlic salt and pepper.

I am open to other ingredients. Anyone know a good recipe?

Thanks!

I don't really measure - just go easy on the liquid & seasoning. You can always add, but not take away.

Peeled and cubed potatoes
Peeled garlic cloves
about 1/2 cup milk
grated Parmesan cheese
a few tablespoons butter
salt & pepper, to taste

Cover your taters & garlic cloves w water & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer 20 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain. Add remaining ingredients & beat until smooth.

When we have garlic mashed potatoes I do use both yukon gold or russets, depends on what is on hand..But, if using russets I keep a close eye on them..Before starting the potatoes I put about 2 cups of heavy cream into a saucepan and add 10-15 cloves of garlic to it. I bring it to boil, then turn down the heat and simmer about an hour, stirring every now and then, til the cloves of garlic are soft and easy to mash. By this time the cream is reduced to about a 3/4 or 1/2 cup.. If you taste the cream you will find it has all the flavor of the garlic, but it's creamy and soft and smooth. I break up the potatoes and dump in the garlic and the cream and at least 1 stick of butter or more...Depends on the amount of potatoes... One thing I never use is Garlic or Onion salt, I find they not only over salt but tend to make things taste bitter....Fresh garlic is best:)

bacardi, re other ingredients... in place of garlic (which sometimes is a little strong for me in mashed taters), I peel and slice up a jumbo onion - sautee in butter - cook the slices down until caramelized, and stir them into the mashed taters. The carmelized onions give the mashed taters a yummy taste - comort food to me.

You can change the Parm I mentioned, to cream cheese, or even use bleu cheese (& chives). Another take, is adding chopped, drained artichoke hearts. A mellow taste I like - combine mashed carrots, & the cooked onions, into the mashed taters. Very tasty. Yet another way to go - add sour cream & chives to the mix.

Last edited:
Trying the pin-point the exact problem...I think the majority of the time they're were "fluffy" when I wanted it more gummy or gluey...

If you want gummy or gluey, use russet potatoes and use and electric mixer to whip them up. The longer you mix, the gummier they will get.

Back
Top Bottom