Appealing Potato Slices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Appealing Potato Slices

Garnish vegetables or cream soups with potato cutouts. Peel and thinly slice a white potato. Use small holiday cookie or hors de'oeuvre cutters to cut several potato slices into shapes. In a small skillet or saucepan cook slices in a small amount of oil until golden brown and crisp.

Last edited:
Isn't that cute!!!!! I wish I had time to play like that!!! I would if I would stay off of here!!! lol Thanks for the idea Mish!

KAYLINDA said:
Isn't that cute!!!!! I wish I had time to play like that!!! I would if I would stay off of here!!! lol Thanks for the idea Mish!

:LOL:

Bet it would be a pretty dish using yams/sweet potatoes, or puff pastry stars. Another thought for party bites - top the cooked stars with caviar.

Last edited:
So cute! I remember that one of my high school home-ec teachers had a set of veggie cutters, I've also seen them in restaurant kitchens too, but never in a shop. I'd venture to guess that a small enough cookie cutter could be used with a big enough vegetable in place of actual veggie cutters. What would you use to create these??? :) (Would you just go "free-hand" on the spuds?)

Not sure what a veggie cutter is... but just cut the raw potato, thinly sliced with a star-shaped cookie cutter and saute or bake, sprinkled with seasonings of choice. You could almost do this as a fancy potato chip and sprinkle with feta and lemon juice... I have another recipe - will go search my files.

Michael, thank you. It's more of a garnish thing, to add to veggies etc. - not a main dish. Thinking it would be interesting floating on borscht. Food for thought. :chef:

Thank you RMS.

An appy idea - Saute the potato stars (shapes of choice), drain on paper towels, top potato slices with a mixture of:

crumbled feta cheese
lemon juice
lemon zest, finely grated
olive oil
any fresh herbs (oregano, parsley etc.), sliced finely
pepper and salt to taste
lemon pepper

Put them on a baking/cookie sheet and bake till warm.

Using sweet poatoes is another idea, or sprinkling with a spicy potato chip mixture of seasonings (i.e. chili, garlic, parmesan, etc.).

Oops, wanted to share a cool pic:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom