"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
Asparagus

I have never made asparagus before and would like to make it this weekend. I am thinking of wrapping it in beef fry.(Sorry no bacon strictly kosher) What is best way to prepare this and do you think it will work if I serve it cold?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
I have never made asparagus before and would like to make it this weekend. I am thinking of wrapping it in beef fry.(Sorry no bacon strictly kosher) What is best way to prepare this and do you think it will work if I serve it cold?
HI,
you don't need to wrap it in beef, try roasting it in a light bath of extra virgin olive oil and some sea salt, then when it comes out of the oven, let come to room temp and shave some good parmesan or romano. I prefer parm over it, place on serving platter and pour the evoo from the cookie sheet back onto the spears..Try one, just be careful and save some for your guests...if you are fond of fresh cracked black pepper that can be added as it roasts.
kadesma

Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Head Chef

Dan, you can leave off the cheese if you want to serve it at a fleishig meal. It is fantastic roasted either straight from the oven or served at room temperature like kadesma said.

It is wonderfully steamed--either standing up in an asparagus steamer or as I do in a pan with a steam basket and pan lid. If the stalks are thick, you can peel them. I just snap them where they want to break because they can be woody on the bottom. Cook them until they are tender but not mushy.

If your meal is milchig, another great way of eating steamed asparagus is with hollandaise sauce or as kadesma suggested with the shaved cheese.

Asparagus can be made into a wonderful soup, too. It is one of my favorite vegetables. One of my kitties (of blessed memory) use to love asparagus too--Pippin could eat 4 stalks if I chopped it up for him--he would go crazy when he smelled it steaming. He couldn't wait for some.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Head Chef

If they are fresh, broil it... brush with olive oil, broil until they begin to brown... awesome!!

if canned.. toss out...I can't stand canned asparagus...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post

Asparagus can be made into a wonderful soup, too. It is one of my favorite vegetables. One of my kitties (of blessed memory) use to love asparagus too--Pippin could eat 4 stalks if I chopped it up for him--he would go crazy when he smelled it steaming. He couldn't wait for some.
LOL ! that must have made for one wicked litterbox!

I like it wrapped in prosciutto but if pork is the issue I would skip the beef and just grill it or do it with some garlic and lemon
Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Master Chef

It's also delicious braised in a little chicken broth, lemon juice and butter.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
One of my kitties (of blessed memory) use to love asparagus too--Pippin could eat 4 stalks if I chopped it up for him--he would go crazy when he smelled it steaming. He couldn't wait for some.
My cat Jack is the same way - he adores asparagus. He's overweight and usually takes his time doing things but when he smells asparagus cooking, he runs down the stairs!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I cook it on a very low boil in a steamer. Once water comes to a rolling boil, set to low, and let it go for about 10 to 15 minutes. This way they stay firm. I add minced garlic and crab boil to the water, and it gives a great flavor. They are delicious cold. I am cooking some tommorrow with some grilled rib eyes or tuna steaks. My son did great on his report card.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I'm a roating fan too!
Snap off the woody parts, toss with Olive Oil, salt, black pepper, and crushed garlic if you like.

Put some EVOO in a roasting pan, put the pan in the oven and set the the oven for 400 degrees.

When the oven is preheated, take out the pan, add the asparagus, toss and put back inthe oven.

Cook till roasted and tender.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Master Chef

Don't bother wrapping it in beef - just roast, boil, or steam until "just" tender. Then by all means serve cold dressed in with a good vinegarette dressing. This is actually a classic way of serving asparagus. Some folks also top this type of presentation with some finely minced hard-boiled egg yolks &/or chopped fresh herbs of choice.

Tags
None