"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
That's all good advice.
A cooking buddy at the church kitchen today said that the asparagus may have frozen "in the field." The appearance of it would have been okay, but that might explain the total deterioration with very little cooking. Maybe?
By "frozen in the field" did he mean on purpose or naturally because of the harsh weather we are having this year? Fresh produce should never be frozen in the field unless it's done by nature.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
That's all good advice.
A cooking buddy at the church kitchen today said that the asparagus may have frozen "in the field." The appearance of it would have been okay, but that might explain the total deterioration with very little cooking. Maybe?
That is the first thing I have read here that makes any sense. If it was frozen in the field, it would have turned a darker green than normal. Did you notice it being a dark green? Freezing definitely will make it cook faster than normal.

I also store my asparagus in a container in water the fridge. But in the 35 years I have been raising and storing asparagus, it has never "grown" after it was harvested

Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
By "frozen in the field" did he mean on purpose or naturally because of the harsh weather we are having this year? Fresh produce should never be frozen in the field unless it's done by nature.
Yes... adverse weather or a sudden cold snap or something. I don't know where the asparagus I bought was grown.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I would have to assume that "frozen in the field" refers to an act of Mother Nature - same thing happens with citrus trees in Florida some times.

Vegetables destined for freezing are, in every instance I know of, harvested, quickly trucked to a processing facility where they are blanched and then frozen.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
That is the first thing I have read here that makes any sense. If it was frozen in the field, it would have turned a darker green than normal. Did you notice it being a dark green? Freezing definitely will make it cook faster than normal.
You know, I didn't notice it being darker before it was cooked, but it was uncommonly dark green after cooking... an uncommonly dark green, slimy mess.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #26
Executive Chef

asparagus is prone to being frozen in the field. Mine started growing about 3 weeks ago and for the past three nights we have had below freezing temperatures. I covered my asparagus spears. If I had not covered them, they would have frozen.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yes... adverse weather or a sudden cold snap or something. I don't know where the asparagus I bought was grown.
With the weather we've had across the country, this would make sense that it happened but the grower didn't want to dump the crop. We have gotten great runs of nice weather and then unexplained freezes since January. It's got to be hard to grow in those conditions.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Limp/soft asparagus

I put the veg in a pot or fry pan in enough cold water to actually cook part of it in water and part in steam. Cover, put on high heat and when the steam gets going out of the lidded pot, remove from the heat. Can be held for a while without getting too soft. We do like ours aldenti and we like it with home made garlic mayo. Also make soup out of the cooking water, the broken off ends. All cooked and then blended and strained, chicken or duck stock, a bit of rue, salt and pepper, nutmeg and cream. More cut up asparagus in the soup if needed/wanted.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
Head Chef

That's a great idea for the cooking water. I felt guilty the last time I dumped the water that I blanched asparagus in down the drain.

Tags
None