Eggplant Feta Napolean with Basil Olive Oil is a luscious summery lunch dish served with three layers ... This recipe hails from Greece, and I prepare it in Puglia with buffala di mozzarella ...
*** this dish can be prepared with zucchini slices too if you prefer.
EGGPLANT FETA OR BUFALA DI MOZZARELLA NAPOLEAN WITH BASIL OLIVE OIL ...
BASIL OIL ...
1 bunch of fresh basil finely chopped
extra virgin olive oil, preferably Italian or Greek
1 Kilo Eggplants ( japanese sicilian small style ones )
4 large ripe red tomatoes
salt and freshly grinded blk. pepper
2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
1 tsp. sugar
balsamic vinegar: 1 tblsp.
11 ounces feta or bufala di mozzarella
Authentic Greek strained yogurt: 1/2 cup
1/3 cup whole milk
1. heat Evoo slightly in skillet and add chopped basil and set aside to cool and then store in a cool dark pantry or cabinet
2. slice eggplants lengthwise into 6 mm thick or 1/4 inch slices and layer in colander with a little salt to drain out the bitterness
3. prepare tomatoes: cut each tomato into 6 thick slices and place on an oiled baking sheet and season with salt and blk. pepper and a pinch of sugar.
4. drizzle the tomatoes with Evoo and balsamic vinegar and bake at 130 degrees centig or 275 farenheit degrees until caramelized.
5. brush the eggplant slices with evoo and place on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 180 centig degrees or 350 farenheit degrees for 12 to 14 mins., turning until tender and browned.
6. whisk or blend in blender: feta or bufala di mozzarella and yogurt, milk and salt and blk. pepper.
7. assemble the Napoleans: layer the eggplant and tomatoes in alternating slices in a ring mold and spread a little cheese & yogurt mixture between each slice and remove ring and drizzle with the Basil Oil ...
Serve with Prosecco white sparkling wine or Cava Rosé or Lambrusco and crusty warm bread ...