Avocados

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swifty

Assistant Cook
I was making some chicken wraps today and added avacado slices to the mix. I had some avacado left. How would I go about storing the left-overs or should I opt to use the whole thing next time?
P.s. I know avocados are consider fruits but I figured it woud be more approppriate here...

Last edited:
Store your avocados in a little tupperware in the fridge. They will darken a bit, but it's only appearance. The flavor will still be there.
Or, you could mash the remains, add a bit of salt, a tiny amount of lemon juice and hot pepper sauce, and have a nice bit of guacamole for a late-night snack.

Hope that helps!

when you cut an avocado in half and seperate it, one side of it will still have a the pit in it. keep the pit in, and that half of the avocado will last much longer. if you are trying to save already sliced avocado, add a squirt of lime juice to the slices and store in an airtight container... i use glass with plastic lids because i can always taste the plastic in tupperware.

jkath, i keep on running into you in these avocado threads!

Ah ... the "avacado pit myth"! Check your library for a copy of Harold McGee's "The Curious Cook" and ready pages 61-65. Well, you might want to read all of Chapter 4 ... "The Green and the Brown". It seems that a burned out light bulb works just as well .....

HappyAvocado said:
how is it a myth? less surface area exposed to air, less brown stuff. makes sense to me.

That is very true. And McGee agrees.

I think M in FW thought you were saying that the entire half (both exposed and covered by pit) would last longer. Which would be incorrect.

Some people claim that putting the pit into your bowl of guac will keep it fresh. That's just not true.

You are right that exposure to air is the problem. The pit won't help that (except for the area under the pit). But saran wrap will.:)

jennyema said:
That is very true. And McGee agrees.

I think M in FW thought you were saying that the entire half (both exposed and covered by pit) would last longer. Which would be incorrect.

Some people claim that putting the pit into your bowl of guac will keep it fresh. That's just not true.

You are right that exposure to air is the problem. The pit won't help that (except for the area under the pit). But saran wrap will.:)

oooohhhhh, i see. jennyema, thank you for explaining. i have never even heard that about the pit in the bowl of guac... i didnt mean that there was something actually in the pit that kept it fresh, but if you leave the pit in and the skin is on, then there is a just a little bit of the flesh exposed to go bad from the air. i usually just pull out the pit, slice off the little ring of brown stuff, and the rest of the avocado is good to go.

seeing as how i never said anything in my previous post about the supposed magical properties of the avocado pit, it seems odd to me that it was assumed that i was refering to a "myth"....

Swifty said:
I was making some chicken wraps today and added avacado slices to the mix. I had some avacado left. How would I go about storing the left-overs or should I opt to use the whole thing next time?
P.s. I know avocados are consider fruits but I figured it woud be more approppriate here...

Swifty, leftover avocado? :shock: I have never heard of such a thing around my house. You must have some willpower. Around my house that avocado would be gone in a heartbeat. :LOL: A spoon and a little sprinkle of salt would do that avocado in. :D

Back
Top Bottom