"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Avocados

Hello all.

I have gotten some avocados from a neighbour (her avocado bush had lots of them this month), and I'm not sure what to make of them. And they're very small-does that mean they're not ripe?

Looking forward to your recipes/comments,

Regards,
Ritu

Old 09-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I can help in this way - CALLING ALL SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA MEMBERS!!!!!! jkath??? You're an avocado nut - I mean expert The meat should give a little when depressed. That's about all I know. They are ripe when they are a soft but not squishy.

There's lots of recipes on here for guacamole - just do a search - search button is on the upper dark blue bar on the right.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Avocados! The fruit of the gods! Also, my favorite food.
They're small, but that has nothing to do with their being ripe. Avos come in so many shapes and sizes! What type of skin is it? Smooth and shiny or rough? You can't eat them when they're hard, like kitchenelf said - they're pretty lousy that way! Wait till they do have some give, but not a mushy give (then they're even more lousy!) Guacamole is a beginning, but you can also cut them up over salad, or over a chicken fettucine alfredo.
Another favorite is to put thin slices of avo on top of a pizza, just after you've taken it out of the oven.
Also, mashing the flesh with a bit of mayonnaise, a few drops of lemon juice and a shake of tabasco makes a great topping to a slice of sourdough toast.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

http://www.avocado.org/

Try this too
Old 09-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes jkath I have that site bookmarked, too! I also love avocado, you can do, first and foremost, guacamole...it is a wonderful condiment to many mexican foods, or grilled chicken or steak, or dip.

1 ripe avocado
1/4 of small onions finely chopped
handful of cilantro(fresh coriander leaves), chopped
juice of 1/2 lime (or lemon would do)
1/2 ripe but firm tomato, deseeded, chopped
dash of white pepper

mash up the avocado with fork (it should be soft enough to do this, but if it is still a little firm, use a blender on the lowest setting, but do not overdo it!) then mix all the other ingredients.... don't prepare this too far ahead of time as avocado tends to discolour quickly. If you need to keep it in a fridge(not highly recommended), make it as airtight as possible.
Avocado is also an excellent companion for seafoods, especially smoked salmon and prawn (shrimps). you can make various salads, or layer sliced avocado, smoked salmon and a sheet of fresh mozzarella and roll them up... also sliced fresh avocado is a great topping for grilled chicken or fish along with a slice of cheese and tomato...
It is a very versatile fruit, once you taste it your immagination will be tickled in so many ways to enjoy this wonderful treat. Also go to the above site and look at all the possible recipes...
I hope you will discover the joy of avocados very soon!!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
Head Chef

I cut the avacado in half, remove the pit, sprinkle with plenty of salt, grab a spoon and eat. But don't eat the peel.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Ritu,
Welcome to DC

While they (avacados) aren't actually one of my favourites, a nice thing to do is sprinkle them with a little balsamic and toss them in a leafy green salad.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thank you

Thank you so much!

I will proceed to get to know the avocado

Have a good day,

Ritu
Old 09-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
Head Chef

Ritu,

Avocado is probably one of the most sensuous things to eat - mellow, creamy, rich - it's perfection.

Take a half a pita, coat the inside with a little mayo, put a slice or two of American cheese in the pocket and follow with some sliced avodado. Nuke for 1 minute. Ambrosia. Now if you like a little seasoning, say like Frank's hot sauce, feel free.

Lee
Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
Head Chef

I just had a BLT that I added avocado slices to. They are also good cubed and added to some creamy soups.

Tags
None