Baba Ghanouj help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I think I get the basics, grill eggplant, add garlic, lemon and something creamy.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

I use the recipe from Joy of Cooking.

It has a bit of tahini, garlic, lemon juice, garlic, and salt.

I think the tip is to let the roasted egg plant flesh drain in a colander for a couple of minutes and press it with the back of a spoon to get rid of excess liquid.

Yummy stuff and I don't like egg plant ;)

most important part is not "something creamy" its tahini. NOT MAYO. otherwise you got it.

I hate to say it, but I do not use enough tahini to buy it. It will sit on the shelf for ages until it turns into concrete with oil on top. So to get a similar flavor I use either toasted sesame seeds or oil. No one has complained.

most important part is not "something creamy" its tahini. NOT MAYO. otherwise you got it.

Huh. The container of stuff I had did NOT have tahini in it. There was some cream and some mayo, but no tahini. It was freaking fantastic though. I could have eaten it with a spoon. Thanks guys, I'll give it another go. I completely botched the roasting the eggplant part of things. How much of the whole eggplant do you use?

Huh. The container of stuff I had did NOT have tahini in it. There was some cream and some mayo, but no tahini. It was freaking fantastic though. I could have eaten it with a spoon. Thanks guys, I'll give it another go. I completely botched the roasting the eggplant part of things. How much of the whole eggplant do you use?

I just use one whole egg plant and prick the skin. Then when it is all soft and a bit dark, I let it cool a bit and then put everything but the skin and stem in a colander to drain. I scrape any "meat" off the inside of the skin and drain that too.

Ah. Pricking the skin would have made sense. I will try again on Wednesday. I'll submit my "recipe" and results. I found the chips I want to scoop it with so I'm ready.

I'm sure it's delicious with mayo bc mayo is yummy. But if you want authentic buy tahini. Usually you mix it with water/lemon juice
Other uses for tahini so you use the jar:
Salad dressing
Over/mixed with flaked white fish
Hummus!
Baked with lamb meatballs
Tahini/sesame cookies
A dip for falafel, stuffed kibbeh, raw veggies

Back
Top Bottom