"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I,too, steam kale and use it in scrambled eggs, pasta, soup, chili, frittata, on pizza, etc. Never tried it in oatmeal ----- may give that a try.

My very favorite way to use kale is to make kale chips. I've discovered (by accident) that kale chips left out overnight uncovered stay crisp and delicious! Go figure!!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #22
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Baby Kale is great in a sautee pan but it's good raw. If it's small and tender just add it to salad - no cooking required ;)

I recently had an amazing kale and apple salad you might want to try with baby Kale:

Kale
Apple cut in matchstick size bits
Toasted sliced almonds
Small handful of ground pecorino
Toss with a light vinaigrette

Toss the kale with the dressing and let sit for 10 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients. The acid in the dressing softens the greens and deepens flavors. Consider substituting blue cheese and walnuts for the almonds and Romano...

Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
I,too, steam kale and use it in scrambled eggs, pasta, soup, chili, frittata, on pizza, etc. Never tried it in oatmeal ----- may give that a try.

My very favorite way to use kale is to make kale chips. I've discovered (by accident) that kale chips left out overnight uncovered stay crisp and delicious! Go figure!!

I tried kale chips once and was not impressed. I might have done it wrong.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The egg and kale were perfect this morning, a light saute in avocado oil, push to the side, egg in the pan season with smoked salt and a grind of pepper, 5 minutes and I was eating breakfast. All done without coffee first.

Thanks for the further ideas. I had to do something with the kale that night as my fridge is not big enough for a 12 x 12 x 6 bag of veggies. Something fast too, as it was getting rather late. So much for impulse buying at Costco.

I am also trying to eat my bigger meal at breakfast and go lighter for the rest of the day.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The egg and kale were perfect this morning, a light saute in avocado oil, push to the side, egg in the pan season with smoked salt and a grind of pepper, 5 minutes and I was eating breakfast. All done without coffee first.

Thanks for the further ideas. I had to do something with the kale that night as my fridge is not big enough for a 12 x 12 x 6 bag of veggies. Something fast too, as it was getting rather late. So much for impulse buying at Costco.

I am also trying to eat my bigger meal at breakfast and go lighter for the rest of the day.
+1 add some grains, and you're good to go. When I cook purple barley in the rice cooker (it takes about as long as it does on the stove and this is after soaking the barley 24 hours), I will add some chopped up greens to the barley the last 5-10 minutes. Another way to eat the greens with breakfast is to make a hash out of chickpeas, onion, and kale.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
+1 add some grains, and you're good to go. When I cook purple barley in the rice cooker (it takes about as long as it does on the stove and this is after soaking the barley 24 hours), I will add some chopped up greens to the barley the last 5-10 minutes. Another way to eat the greens with breakfast is to make a hash out of chickpeas, onion, and kale.
Baby steps, you know how hard it is for me to eat anything first thing in the morning? The 1/2 cup of kale and one egg...I am stuffed. I put some Italian seasoning in it this morning. Later, around 9 or 10 I will have a snack of seeded whole grain roll with a slice of sharp cheddar and a red pear. Lunch is tuna with key lime juice and coleslaw, dinner will most likely be steel cut oats...they help my fasting blood sugars in the morning.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #27
Senior Cook

I just saute it in some olive oil and garlic.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #28
Master Chef

I like to make Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup (bacon is included in the soup).
Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a link to a yummy looking breakfast. You could substitute baby kale for the spinach (Oaty Egg Florentine):

Oatmeal: Your Healthiest Breakfast Yet | Women's Health Magazine
Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks, CWS!!!

Tags
baby kale, kale, other