Baby Kale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I,too, steam kale and use it in scrambled eggs, pasta, soup, chili, frittata, on pizza, etc. Never tried it in oatmeal ----- may give that a try.

My very favorite way to use kale is to make kale chips. I've discovered (by accident) that kale chips left out overnight uncovered stay crisp and delicious! Go figure!!

Baby Kale is great in a sautee pan but it's good raw. If it's small and tender just add it to salad - no cooking required ;)

I recently had an amazing kale and apple salad you might want to try with baby Kale:

Kale
Apple cut in matchstick size bits
Toasted sliced almonds
Small handful of ground pecorino
Toss with a light vinaigrette

Toss the kale with the dressing and let sit for 10 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients. The acid in the dressing softens the greens and deepens flavors. Consider substituting blue cheese and walnuts for the almonds and Romano...

I,too, steam kale and use it in scrambled eggs, pasta, soup, chili, frittata, on pizza, etc. Never tried it in oatmeal ----- may give that a try.

My very favorite way to use kale is to make kale chips. I've discovered (by accident) that kale chips left out overnight uncovered stay crisp and delicious! Go figure!!

I tried kale chips once and was not impressed. I might have done it wrong.

The egg and kale were perfect this morning, a light saute in avocado oil, push to the side, egg in the pan season with smoked salt and a grind of pepper, 5 minutes and I was eating breakfast. All done without coffee first.

Thanks for the further ideas. I had to do something with the kale that night as my fridge is not big enough for a 12 x 12 x 6 bag of veggies. Something fast too, as it was getting rather late. So much for impulse buying at Costco.

I am also trying to eat my bigger meal at breakfast and go lighter for the rest of the day.

The egg and kale were perfect this morning, a light saute in avocado oil, push to the side, egg in the pan season with smoked salt and a grind of pepper, 5 minutes and I was eating breakfast. All done without coffee first.

Thanks for the further ideas. I had to do something with the kale that night as my fridge is not big enough for a 12 x 12 x 6 bag of veggies. Something fast too, as it was getting rather late. So much for impulse buying at Costco.

I am also trying to eat my bigger meal at breakfast and go lighter for the rest of the day.
+1 add some grains, and you're good to go. When I cook purple barley in the rice cooker (it takes about as long as it does on the stove and this is after soaking the barley 24 hours), I will add some chopped up greens to the barley the last 5-10 minutes. Another way to eat the greens with breakfast is to make a hash out of chickpeas, onion, and kale.

+1 add some grains, and you're good to go. When I cook purple barley in the rice cooker (it takes about as long as it does on the stove and this is after soaking the barley 24 hours), I will add some chopped up greens to the barley the last 5-10 minutes. Another way to eat the greens with breakfast is to make a hash out of chickpeas, onion, and kale.

Baby steps, you know how hard it is for me to eat anything first thing in the morning? The 1/2 cup of kale and one egg...I am stuffed. I put some Italian seasoning in it this morning. Later, around 9 or 10 I will have a snack of seeded whole grain roll with a slice of sharp cheddar and a red pear. Lunch is tuna with key lime juice and coleslaw, dinner will most likely be steel cut oats...they help my fasting blood sugars in the morning.

I like to make Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup (bacon is included in the soup).

We get a whopping large tub of baby Kale at our local Sam's Club. We substitute that for lettuce/spinach in everything: salads, veggies, etc. We even put it into tacos instead of lettuce. Wifey puts a handful into our smoothies. Great mild flavor and texture.

Try as I may, I can't make myself like kale. Odd, because I love most brassicas (including brussels sprouts!). It may be incredibly good for you and very fashionable but I can't get on with it at all.

I used to have an organic veg box delivery and kale always featured in it - yuck! I kept trying to exclude it but it appeared with monotonous regularity.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even try ANY greens for the first 68 years olf my life, now I love them. I think that was because until recently, they were served primarily in the south. Growing up, my mother occasionally served canned spinach and I liked it, but never tried fresh.

I like to make Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup (bacon is included in the soup).

I know this is a bit late but here is a pic of the soup.

img_1365805_0_bc57837c2b5a0ee2f5753ef320f6ec8f.jpg

The farmer has to get rid of it somewhere. And you were elected to be the recipient. :angel:
I used to take it up to the stables and hand feed it over the wall to the bull who lived in a nearby field. Contrary to what you hear about bulls, he was a sweetheart.

Last edited:
I used to take it up to the stables and hand feed it over the wall to the bull who lived in a nearby field. Contrary to what you hear about bulls, he was a sweetheart.

Don't let that get out. You will ruin their reputation. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom