"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Bad lettuce.

How can you tell if your lettuce has gone bad? I know if it get soft and slimmy, you throw it out. But my dad got very ill in a restaurant just eating a salad, it looked alright. I just don't know how long to keep it now.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

the bib lettuce starts drooling, and the iceberg looks kinda frozen...

sorry, couldn't help myself.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
the bib lettuce starts drooling, and the iceberg looks kinda frozen...

sorry, couldn't help myself.
buckytom.

Thanks for the good laugh! You do make my day.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Everymom

Joann, likely he got sick for some other reason (improper prep like a dirty knife or something like that) not because the lettuce was bad. There is no mistaking bad lettuce, it is slimy and brown and generally disgusting. Sometimes part of it will have rusty looking spots, but if you cut those off the rest is usually OK. Hope that helps.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Joann, likely he got sick for some other reason (improper prep like a dirty knife or something like that) not because the lettuce was bad. There is no mistaking bad lettuce, it is slimy and brown and generally disgusting. Sometimes part of it will have rusty looking spots, but if you cut those off the rest is usually OK. Hope that helps.
Thanks Alix.
I did a search on lettuce in this forum and it sounds like it would be a good idea to get a vacuum sealer and keep it in a canister, they said it didn't do so good in a plastic bag.
I will have to look around and see how much the vacuum sealers cost. Thanks, JoAnn
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

the romaine just says, "et tu, beet tops? et tu?"
Old 02-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Everymom

Is the no bread thing getting to you buckytom? LOL!!!

Joann, Tupperware used to have a lettuce keeper thingy for iceberg lettuce. Worked GREAT. I still have one, but I use mostly romaine now and just leave it in a ziploc. We go thru it pretty fast most of the time though.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I had one of the tupperware keepers, too. It worked great for iceburg but of course, nothing else.

I wash my romaine, put it on a towel, roll it up, stick it in a plastic grocery bag and it keeps for a really long time in the frig. Perhaps it's the chemicals in the bag that keeps it fresh.

Hey, the lettuce thing would be great for berries.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
Master Chef

I second Alix - "bad" lettuce is rotten lettuce. Impossible to mistake. If your dad's salad looked fine & was made with fresh-looking greens, chances are excellent he became sick from less than proper hygienic conditions in the kitchen or wherever the greens originally came from (just like the recent fresh spinach problem).

And if lettuce or other greens have been contaminated with e. coli or salmonella, etc., etc., there's absolutely no way to tell. The greens could be dancing around with freshness & still be relatively deadly.

I'm hoping you reported your father's illness to the restaurant. He might not have been the only one who became ill, & the restaurant needs to know about something like this.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Or he may just have picked up a stomach virus somewhere else and it just started to kick in.If you can find out if other people ate the same meal and got sick then you can go from there if it is in fact it came from the salad.
Also if he got sick at the restaurant it probably not the salad as it takes a few hours to get sick from something you eat.
I once thought I poisoned [spelled wrong ? ]the entire Taos,Nm ski area with my beef stroganoff it seemed like everyone who ate it got sick however I could not figure out how that could have happened.Much to my relief it was a stomach virus going thru the whole ski area up in the lodges since you have alot of people from all over the country end up in these buildings with close contact it is easy to pick up a virus.

Tags
None