Bad Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the onions that I have bought regardless of the variety, or store purchased have been really strong smelling, they seem quite fresh when I pick them out, but when I start cutting them and cooking them, the smell is wicked pungent.

Most of the onions that I have bought regardless of the variety, or store purchased have been really strong smelling, they seem quite fresh when I pick them out, but when I start cutting them and cooking them, the smell is wicked pungent.
I grow a lot of onions, garlic and shallots, I plant about 3 types of each for their different flavor and strength. I cant remember the variety name, but one type of onion blew my socks off, it made the best cheese and onion sandwich.
Storage, make sure they are dry, then place on shelves in a cool place.

I grow a lot of onions, garlic and shallots, I plant about 3 types of each for their different flavor and strength. I cant remember the variety name, but one type of onion blew my socks off, it made the best cheese and onion sandwich.
Storage, make sure they are dry, then place on shelves in a cool place.
Whatever the problem with onions in the Carolinas has been this year is not to do with how we store them at home--they are bad right from the store (visible when they are cut open or peeled). Thankfully they seem to be getting better in my area now. Hopefully that problem is behind us.

:)Barbara

Whatever the problem with onions in the Carolinas has been this year is not to do with how we store them at home--they are bad right from the store (visible when they are cut open or peeled). Thankfully they seem to be getting better in my area now. Hopefully that problem is behind us.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one having problems. When Vidalia's were in season, they seemed OK, but pretty much everything else has been hit or miss, mostly miss:(

The onions I've been buying lately have been good, unlike a few months ago. The have also been more pungent than I'm used to.

i have had problems with the bad inside of onions. ticks me off especially if it is the last one, and the good parts are not enough for the recipe. i don't buy the bags,just me, unless company is coming. i hate paying for something i can't use.

I've never heard of Eazyonions. We can buy dehydrated onion flakes, onion powder, onion juice, canned pearl onions, and Frenched fried onions.

Tinned Eazy fried onions are a Spanish Product, it is chopped onions cooked opaque in olive oil then tinned, they cost about £.60 a tin.

They are the best cheats product.

Barb I was not referring to home storage, I think your onions may be from a previous season.

We too have had the occasional bad onion this year, more often than past years and wonder if it's happening because the growers are getting lazy on their drying procedures before getting the onions to their suppliers. No evidence to support this, but wonder if there's increased demand for onions in general and sweet onions in particular and they're being sent to market before they should go. "Cutting corners" does seem to be on the increase...

I have had the same problem with potatoes, as well as onions and garlic. I have decided to stop buying produce from the store that now sells 25% of all groceries and spend a little more money. Not really saving when you have to throw away part.

I have had quite an issue with bad onions this year. I have had a lot of mold. I pick really beautiful bags of onions, they look great on the outside, when you start to remove the paper-y layer there is nothing but mold! The inside has been fine, but I am not too keen on eating something with the outside covered in mold. I have changed stores, they are all like that as soon as I get them home, so it is not a storage problem on my end. I think they are just bad right now.

I grow my own onions, so haven't had that problem. But the GARLIC. I will only buy garlic from California or Argentina (love the garlic from Argentina). A lot of the local stores sell garlic from China. It molds within 2-3 days, lacks flavor, etc. Why garlic needs to be imported from China is beyond me. There are lots of garlic growers in Ontario.

I tried for about a half hour to find Garlic Powder that was from somewhere other than china, and couldn't and I went to 2 stores! Anyone know how to make your own garlic powder?

Yeah, I check each onion through the bag the best I can. I've had the same problem with loose onions this year. Well, at least it isn't as bad as getting bad meat. LOL

...ROTFL :LOL: and not nearly as expensive!

I've noticed that problem here, too. Even sometimes with Greenmarket onions. I wonder if it has to do with the level of the water table?

Back
Top Bottom