Bad Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Is anyone else having a problem finding good onions in the grocery stores this year? I mainly buy 3 pound bags of yellow onions, as they are cheaper (and I like them for general cooking purposes), but I sometimes buy Vidalias and others as well.

For the last few months a lot of my onions are spoiling faster, and even perfectly fine looking onions often have a brown center (ranging from beige to dark brown). I haven't changed anything about the way I store my onions, so that isn't the problem. They are coming from the store that way.

Just this evening I cut open a beautiful looking onion and near the top it was light brown. Fortunately it was just a small area and most of the onion was fine.

:huh:Barbara

I do run into that from time to time. I also find a lot of bad garlic and struggle to a good bulb or two.

I usually buy yellow onions loose. I pick over them carefully to get the firmest ones with no damages. Still, when I cut them open I find a spoiled center from time to time.

Yeah, I check each onion through the bag the best I can. I've had the same problem with loose onions this year. Well, at least it isn't as bad as getting bad meat. LOL

:)Barbara

I had about one or two weeks of nice onions, now they are all iffy again! Improper storage while shipping?

I have been having that problem also but for me I think it was where I wa buying my onions. I stopped buying them at that store and switched to another. They are a bit more expensive there but I have not had the problem since. Try another store if you can and see if you have the same problem with their supply.

it was a poor year for me for onions this year...the spring and early summer was wet, way too wet...and I had almost a total crop failure of garlic due to the wetness....maybe it was a poor growing season for others as well?

I keep sweet onions (Vidalia, Walla Wallas, etc.) in the fridge. They seem to spoil a lot faster than regular ones.

I keep sweet onions (Vidalia, Walla Wallas, etc.) in the fridge. They seem to spoil a lot faster than regular ones.

The refrigerator is not a great place for onions. They should be in a cool, dark, dry place. A kitchen cabinet away from the heat is ideal.

I keep all my onions in the fridge. They do last a long time that way. I live alone, and it ordinarily takes me a long, long time to use a bag of onions. I keep them in the crisper drawer, and my one warning about that is don't put the apples in there with them, unless you like onion flavored apples.

Potatoes, however, go in a cabinet, not under the sink. The under sink cabinet is too warm, and in my house, that cabinet is a little transfer station for the mouse subway.

I have bought them at different stores. :cool:

Beth, I was wondering the same thing, about a bad growing season.

Vidalias do tend to spoil faster than other onions--I think I read that it is because they are a sweeter onion.

:)Barbara

I may need to rethink my storage of almost eveything. I have a small, 2 door pantry, from Sauder and two wire shelving units. I have appliances and potatoes, onions. garlic on the wire shelves and canned goods in the pantry. I think I may switch some canned to the shelves and the veg to the pantry. I have baseboard heat and the wire shelves are right on them.

Maybe most of my veg problem.

I pulled a shallot out last week that sprouting so I just put in the ground.Same goes for garlic and onions.

I have also noticed some brown rings in yellow onins.I don't save those though.

I will crack my garlic heads in half at the store if they are questionable.

In search of strong tasting onions

As with many veggies these days they seem to have be modified over the years to accommodate the grower/picking/shipping/processing requirements.

Taste? Oh, does that really count?

I have an old recipe we make for the holidays, English Chestnut Stuffing. (Recipe at bottom of this message.) We carefully observe the ingredient quantities and processing instructions.

What we have encountered is a lack of cooked onion taste in the dressing, which makes this simple dressing what it is. I am convinced that this is due to the onion varieties sold here today in SW Ohio. Small yellow onions that don't make your eyes water during processing equals no serious onion taste!

Has anyone encountered this wimpy onion syndrome, or better yet a good strong old fashioned yellow onion? I'll have them shipped in if necessary!

acornhil

2 lbs (net) Italian chestnuts--after removing from shell and inner membrane. Chestnuts should be selected carefully. Firm, but not dried out and no breaks in the shells.
12-14 ounces of stinky--makes you cry--strong--yellow onion!
1/4 lb butter--soft (forget about margarine)

Finely grind chestnuts or process until fine in food processor
Do same for onions.
Combine and add the butter
Mix by hand until butter is absorbed.
Make into balls and stuff into neck of a large turkey.

Actually, in my neck of the woods (Prince George, northern BC) onions are excellent (even in the supermarkets) and so are their prices right now.

Probably a long way to drive for them, though.:rolleyes:

moltogordo, its too far for ME to drive, so I know Barbara isn't coming! I was born in PG, welcome to DC.

I've been seeing that with the onions for the past 3/4 of a year. As to garlic, I find the stuff at the health food store is better. Maybe that's because it's local. I feel up every outside clove on every bulb. I also buy a large jar of chopped garlic at Costco, but it isn't good for everything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom