"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Baked potato over a bed of sea salt?

I'm just curious what other DC members think about the benefit (if any) in baking a potato on a bed of coarse sea salt.

The theory is that it allows moisture to escape from the potato and yields more even cooking.

I live in an area with a large Asian (particularly Korean) population, and big bags (5#, 10# even bigger) of sea salt are incredibly cheap, so the cost of salt is almost nothing. (Isn't that an ironic twist on history! Since the word "salary" came from "salt" back in antiquity when salt was a hard to get commodity, and if I'm not mistaken it was one of the first seasonings -- also used to preserve foods.)

Also, what do you think about entirely enclosing the potato in salt?

BTW an additional benefit is the salt is reusable although it can gain some potato taste overtones, not always necessarily a detraction.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
...baking a potato on a bed of coarse sea salt.

The theory is that it allows moisture to escape from the potato and yields more even cooking...

Also, what do you think about entirely enclosing the potato in salt?...
Seems like these two options are opposites. One allows moisture to escape and the other would hold it in.

I bake potatoes directly on the oven rack. This enables all-around even baking. I don't see how a salt bed would help.

A full salt crust would result in a steamed potato rather than a baked one.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Master Chef
I also bake mine directly on the oven rack. I also puncture them with a fork, coat them with evoo, and salt them before they go in the oven.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Master Chef
I can see this is going to turn into baked potato methods. I wouldn't do mine on a bed of salt.

I cut thin slice off the ends of two large potatos. It allows the steam to easily escape. Then I nuke them for four minutes, and put them in the toaster oven to bake for about 30 minutes, depending on the size. This part is important..with a hot pad in each hand you gently pinch the potato all over being careful to not break the skin. This will produce the perfect fluffy baked potato.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Master Chef
How does the salt allow moisture to escape?

I don't like really dry baked spuds.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Poking holes in a potato allows moisture to escape. I don't see how salt underneath the potato would do that. As Andy said, encasing a potato in salt would prevent moisture from escaping, cause it to steam.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Master Chef
We had a local steak house that used this method and it made a nice presentation.

I'm a potato skin eater so it would not be my first choice.

Salt-Baked Potatoes Recipe | Epicurious.com
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Master Chef
I do my baked potato ... never mind. Isn't there a roast, salt encrusted roast recipe on the box of salt. Do not remember which one. Analyze the reason why it's done and you have your answer about potato baking.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
I too am a fan of baking in the oven on the rack. It gives me a nice crispy skin.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
Head Chef
I see no benefit using a bed of salt.

I'm a rack roaster too.

I do poke holes if I remember because of a few explosions and tater guts in the oven to clean up.

I'm a skin eater and like a crispy skin but don't coat the tater with anything. High heat seems to give me the results I like.

Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote

potato, salt