"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i like a simple mix of sour cream and garlic chives from my garden on my baked spuds.

or if i'm having a steak or roast beast, i like to mash the insides a little with some of the meat juices, then top it with crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese and nuke it until the cheese melts.

just yesterday, i made a "leftovers" baked potato. dw made an extra nuked potato with dinner, so i cut it in half, mashed the insides - discarding some, and added some shredded chicken (from the weekly roasted chicken ) and the leftovers of cubed broccoli cheese mix. i closed the potato up as best as possible and tightly wrapped it in plastic. it'll be a good, late night snack when i'm at work this week.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
If I am going to do a baked spud for a side, I brush 'em with egg white, and do a salt crust, and bake. For toppings, it's simple: Butter, cracked black pepper, chives, and a little sour cream.

If I am going to do one as a meal, the sky is the limit.

I LOVE a baked potato stuffed with steamed broccoli, shredded cheddar, a little butter, salt and pepper.

A close second would be split open and topped with a mix of pepper jack, mozz, cheddar, and a hearty scoop of chili, some sour cream and fried jalapenos(bottle caps).

Sometimes, I love on with just cut up hot dogs, and baked beans, a little shredded cheddar, and maybe sour cream.

Pulled Pork BBQ is a GREAT Filler for baked potatoes too, but it's not often I have leftover BBQ sitting around.

Of course, just some butter, green onion, s+p, sour cream, and a nice portion of crispy bacon is a very fine thing.

Mitch Hedberg - Baked Potatoes - Video Clip | Comedy Centrals Jokes.com

Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i like a simple mix of sour cream and garlic chives from my garden on my baked spuds.
Most people have never heard of garlic chives, what I first discovered as buchu or bu chu, several years ago in my local Korean supermarket, AKA Allium tuberosum. They exhibit the combination of the best flavors of both garlic and chives. I hope to be able to have a garden again soon, and didn't even know you could grow buchu although now that I think about it I can't think of any reason why not. Except that I'd probably over-graze my buchu and still have to buy it in the market.

OTOH I've always loved the concept of decorating your garden with edible herbs. You could mow it... or you could eat it! Or you could mow it if you grew too much to eat. Or I don't know maybe you could import Kobe beef and feed it to them. (This is a joke. I'm mixing Korean and Japanese, and Kobe beef don't eat buchu.)
Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks greg, i didn't know it was a common asian herb.

i wanted to plant regular chives in my herb bed, but the nursery only had garlic chives seedlings, so i planted those. it was a pleasant surprise.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Most people have never heard of garlic chives, what I first discovered as buchu or bu chu, several years ago in my local Korean supermarket, AKA Allium tuberosum. They exhibit the combination of the best flavors of both garlic and chives. I hope to be able to have a garden again soon, and didn't even know you could grow buchu although now that I think about it I can't think of any reason why not. Except that I'd probably over-graze my buchu and still have to buy it in the market.

OTOH I've always loved the concept of decorating your garden with edible herbs. You could mow it... or you could eat it! Or you could mow it if you grew too much to eat. Or I don't know maybe you could import Kobe beef and feed it to them. (This is a joke. I'm mixing Korean and Japanese, and Kobe beef don't eat buchu.)
I grow garlic chives over here, I am lucky that nearby is a patch of wild garlic that I snip and use.
The Elizabethans planted fragrant herbs on their walkways so as you walked and bruised them the scent filled the air.
I mowed again yesterday, its not quite Wimbledon clic on pic
Click image for larger version

Name:	bergere chair 138.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	13354
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #16
Head Chef

I'd like to see a stainless steel nail potato cooker on the market. You know, like how a potato supposedly cooks up nicer with a nail stuck in the potato? I think I'll jot that down as another one of my invention product ideas. There's probably something like that on the market now.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Good Morning.

I finally have found the recipe for the Baked Potatoes, my five year old twin grandsons, Fillippo & Christophe always ask me to prepare for them ... They are Pescatarians ( do not eat red meat except for " Bolognese Ragų ) ...

Here goes ...

One Baked Potato per person

butter
ceps ( mushrooms available )
parsley minced
heavy cream or sour cream
garlic minced

I form a butter and cream purče inside and top with the mushrooms that have been sautčed in olive oil with minced garlic & parsely ... note: I scoop out the baked purče of the potato and then put the purče back into the potato shell !!! Salt, pepper freshly ground, and a dip made with either sour cream and / or heavy cream ... or melted Provolone like a " Provoletta " with red bell ... melt on top of the potatoes... in foil ...

A hit with the twins and my older daughter´s Daughter Adyson ... she is 4.

GOOD POST. Some lovely ideas.
Kind regards. Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
Executive Chef

S&P, butter, sour cream and a grilled porter house. Problem is, the steak won't stay in the potato so it has to lay on the plate.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Sounds very interesting Topaz.

Happy Holidays,
Margi.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Executive Chef

@ Bolas,

Lovely piece of property ...

Nice foto.

Thanks for posting.
Margi. Happy Holidays.