"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Bargain bag of mushrooms

Hi everyone,
I bought a big bag (aprrox 2lb)of ordinary field mushrooms today in the supermarket for pennies. Nothing wrong with them., just a shade past their best. I love mushroom soup of course during Autumn and Winter but would like to do something different as it is summertime AND be able to freeze the dish when cooked.
Who's got recipes to share please? Don't mind spicy or otherwise

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Master Chef

I enjoy them fried in butter with a little garlic, onion, salt, pepper and at the end a shot of cognac followed by a splash of cream. Serve spooned over some good quality toast.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Do you have a dehydrator? When I get huge Hen of the Woods, I dehydrate a portion. They keep forever, and you can use them in soups and stews, powder them, etc. I also freeze big chunks of them.

You could also dehydrate in a very low oven.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
You could fry them in butter and then freeze what you don't want to use right now. I would put a piece of waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Spread out the mushrooms so they aren't touching, put them in the freezer, and then bag them when frozen.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Stuffed things!

Finely chop the mushrooms and saute with diced onion, some garlic, salt and pepper until they have given up their liquid. Add a large handful of diced parsley and pull off the heat.

Use this as the base for some awesome fillings.

For instance:

Mix in some bread crumbs and ricotta cheese and make your own ravioli.

Mix in some ricotta and an egg and use it in lasagna.

Mix mushroom base with some fresh chopped sage, extra butter and toss in a skillet with cooked pasta - add Parmesan on top

Use the mushroom base, some bread crumb or rice and chopped spinach and stuff some small birds (pigeon, cornish hens,etc)

Serve toast points, lathered in mushroom base and topped with a slice of hard boiled egg or slice of prosciutto. Great appetizer!

Make a white pizza! Top pizza dough with a creamy garlic sauce (like alfredo) add big dollops of mushroom base, top with a little a little mozzarella and finish with some quartered artichoke hearts and black olives.

What time are we eating?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Stuffed things!

Finely chop the mushrooms and saute with diced onion, some garlic, salt and pepper until they have given up their liquid. Add a large handful of diced parsley and pull off the heat.

Use this as the base for some awesome fillings.

For instance:

Mix in some bread crumbs and ricotta cheese and make your own ravioli.

Mix in some ricotta and an egg and use it in lasagna.

Mix mushroom base with some fresh chopped sage, extra butter and toss in a skillet with cooked pasta - add Parmesan on top

Use the mushroom base, some bread crumb or rice and chopped spinach and stuff some small birds (pigeon, cornish hens,etc)

Serve toast points, lathered in mushroom base and topped with a slice of hard boiled egg or slice of prosciutto. Great appetizer!

Make a white pizza! Top pizza dough with a creamy garlic sauce (like alfredo) add big dollops of mushroom base, top with a little a little mozzarella and finish with some quartered artichoke hearts and black olives.

What time are we eating?
Great ideas Janet.

I use something like that to stuff pork tenderloin.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

marinated mushrooms will keep in your refrigerator up to 2 weeks. in large sauce pan put 1 cup of white vinegar,1 cup of water and bring to boil. Add1-1/2 lbs.halved or quarted mushrooms.return to boil cook 5 min drain mushrooms reserving the liquid. place mushrooms in a qt. sized glass jarpressing down mushrooms with back of spoon. Add 4 cloves of garli,1 tea. salt, 1/2 tea. dry oregano,and to make things zippy crushed red pepper to your desire.Add enough of the liquid to the mushrooms in the jars. Let cool slightly then cover and refrigerate at least 24 hrs. before serving.Serve drizzled with evoo
kades
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Do you have a dehydrator? When I get huge Hen of the Woods, I dehydrate a portion. They keep forever, and you can use them in soups and stews, powder them, etc. I also freeze big chunks of them.

You could also dehydrate in a very low oven.
I pick up mushrooms all the time on the "past the best buy date" cart. I dehydrate them or do what Taxi recommends. The frozen ones I use on pizzas, the dehydrated ones I rehydrate, save the "gold" broth, and use in soups, sauces, etc.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Master Chef

Depends on type of mushrooms. Not all of them dry so well. The wild ones dry perfectly, no dehydrator needed. Just pull a thread thru them and hang them over the stove, or even simply outside the house. They can also be frozen.
If having your house hot is not a problem, they can be marinated, pickled, or made into a spread.
Here is a quick recipe: Sautee with some onions, mix with some cooked chicken, season of course to your liking, put in the oven proof dish mix with some sour cream, sprinkle with some shredded cheese on the top. Put in the oven cook till it's heated thru and cheese is melted.
Make re-stuffed mushrooms. Cut of the stems, chop with some extra mushroom. Sautee with onions, mix with some shredded cheese stuff the tops with mixture. Dredge in flour, egg, and bread crumbs, deep fry.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
Master Chef

Beef Wellington !

Tags
other, mushrooms, mushrooms bonanza