"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You will get a variety of opinions on this For me, it's not worth the trouble. Cooks Illustrated recently did a taste test of cannellini beans and determined that canned were better because the manufacturers use higher quality beans to start with and the dried product can be many months old before someone buys and uses them, so they didn't cook as reliably. But others feel differently.
cool, addie was right about the better quality beans being used for canning.

i use both as well. on the lesser common occasion that i have the time to both plan a recipe that calls for it AND soak the beans, i will do so (like making chili... lol ). otherwise, i use canned for reasons of convenience and creativity.

also, i usually rinse that mucilaginous goo from a can of beans unless the dish i'm making needs to be thickened.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
There are lots of good canned beans and I'll go for the can a lot of the time, it's just easy. The only time I do dried is when I'm making baked beans, or occasionally a soup.

I grew up eating yellow eye beans for baked beans, but in these parts they are considered a "gourmet" item and are quite pricey, so I usually go with navy or great northern.

I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I used canned now, only cooking for two and don't want the extra leftovers. Also helps with portion control. Limited free time for cooking is also in the mix.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I use canned beans for butter beans and doctor it up to include kielbasa. I also use a can of chili beans to add to my taco meat when converting it to chili, because I like the flavor of the sauce.

Other than that, I love to make a pot of beans. I regularly make large limas, baby limas, 15 bean and split peas.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
I use dry. I usually will soak 3 or 4 different kinds (900 or so grams, separately) and then cook them a batch at a time in the pressure cooker on the weekend as I'm doing other things. I then freeze them in 2 c and 1 c batches. That way, I always have beans available. I like to add some black beans or chick peas to tossed salads that I take with me when I go on a client's site on Tuesdays. At the farm, because we don't keep the freezer plugged in, I keep a couple of cans of chick peas and beans on the "emergency rations" shelf.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #16
Head Chef
Usually Canned for me, but if a recipe specifically calls for dried beans, I will use them too.
Since Ive been using canned beans for so long, I actually prefer the taste and consistency of them a little better. Im sure if I grew up on dry beans, Id feel the other way.
My friend from Brazil is the opposite. She grew up on dried beans and only uses them.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
cool, addie was right about the better quality beans being used for canning.
Yes, we had this discussion a while ago and I had just read the Cooks Illustrated article and mentioned it here. I, too, grew up with canned beans, although we didn't have them a whole lot. I actually don't enjoy the flavor of just beans, so I've liked them much better since I learned how to make things like hummus and homemade Mexican dishes.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by mattdee1 View Post

I use beans fairly regularly in cooking (usually black and garbanzo), but I always use canned.

I'd say that about 95% of the time when I cook, it's for 2 or 1, so I tend to "fly by the seat of my pants" when figuring out what to make. This makes dry beans tough for me, because they take so much forethought and time with the soaking in water and all that.

I'm looking for comments from those of you who are familiar with both canned and dry; specifically, how "worth it" is it to go the long route? All comments welcome.

I'm usually cooking for one so I almost always use canned because they are easier, except when making hummous because I think it tastes better when the chick peas (garbanzos) are cooked for the dish rather than when canned ones are used.

Occasionally a recipe calls for the soaked beans to be cooked with the ingredients of the dish so I'd not use canned then.

Incidentally, with the sole exception of one recipe which I haven't tried, I have never come across a recipe that required you to put the dried beans, unsoaked in with the rest of the ingredients. Unless the recipe states categorically that you should do this, it's always better to soak them. It saves both time and fuel in cooking. I tend to soak overnight because that suits me but with most beans you can bring them to the boil and leave them for an hour or so to soften. (I find that this method doesn't work well with soya beans which need to be soaked from cold and can take forever!)

When the soaking is finished, throw away the soaking water and cook in fresh water. This avoids the less anti-social effects of eating beans, if you know what I mean.

You can freeze the cooked beans if it suits you to boil/simmer more than you need fro one meal and this is more economical than just cooking enough for one or two people.

And if I have time to plan I cook my soaked dries beans in the slow cooker. I have used the pressure cooker but if you aren't careful with the timing they can go to mus before you have chance to turn round.
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
Head Chef
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
(on the very rare occasion I use canned)
I prefer the texture of dried beans
also as others have mentioned, I can control the
amount of all of the ingredients I use in cooking them.
I make up large batches of:
Black beans
Cannellini beans
and then portion them off
bag & tag 'em
then pop then in the deep freeze
... ready at a moments notice (they don't take long to defrost)
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
Sous Chef
When I make a big batch of chili beans, I make my sauce and then add how ever many gallons of plain cooked beans I need to feed the crowd. Gallons are available at the restaurant supply store and they are cheaper than the price I attach to my time and energy.

Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote