"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #21
Master Chef

I use both. If I'm making a flavored bean dish, like baked beans, I use dried beans so that I can control the flavor and texture. If I'm making chili, I use canned pinto and dark kidney beans, as it's so much more convenient, and the other flavors marry well with the canned beans.

Often, it depends on how much time is available to me. I've been known to doctor a can of VanCamp's Pork & beans to make a stove-top baked beans that tastes pretty darned good. Now the baked beans made from dried is superior, IMHO, but it takes more time.

For three bean salad, I use canned. Again, once rinsed, and made into my recipe, the other aromatics, and flavors work well with the canned beans.

With lentils, dried peas, and split peas, I always use dried. I normally use my pressure cooker to speed the cooking process. I always use salted water with dried legumes.

If we're talking fresh green or wax beans, or any kind of peas that have been picked fresh, I steam, or stir-fry them.

Beans are up there with blueberries and apple pie as part of favorite food folder.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #22
Master Chef

Mostly canned for me. As someone else said...might have been bucky, I usually also get rid of that oooey gooey liquid from the can. I eat a lot of salads and like to add a rinsed and drained can of beans to my salads. My faves are cannelini, kidneys, and black beans.

If I'm using them in a dish like chili, I drain most of the liquid they are canned in and add my own sauce.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Beans are up there with blueberries and apple pie as part of favorite food folder.

f as in "favorite food folder"comes before g.

as in good god, goodweed's got gas again.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

Is that Goodweed or Goodwind?
Old 10-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Is that Goodweed or Goodwind?
Could be Mal-Airia.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #26
Sous Chef

I like to have both dried and canned. I like canned chickpeas for salads and I'll keep a can of black or pinto beans for last minute sides or chili type dishes.

Certain beans I like to have don't come canned. Anasazi beans for instance. I like to use those for red beans and rice. Well, okay...pink beans and rice. =0)
Old 10-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

Fortunately for humanity, neither GW, nor Chief Longwind suffer from flatulence after eating beans. Comes from a lifetime of eating them, and having the natural flora in my gut. You can ask my kids. It's not an issue. Too many fresh blueberries on the other hand...

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Fortunately for humanity, neither GW, nor Chief Longwind suffer from flatulence Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ya see folks. Dreams really do come true.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #29
Head Chef

I really like butter beans and to cook them from dried would take ages. Canned ones are fine by me. I like to make them into a hummus (instead of chick peas which I also like but not as much). They also make a nice substitute for mash.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm usually cooking for one so I almost always use canned because they are easier, except when making hummous because I think it tastes better when the chick peas (garbanzos) are cooked for the dish rather than when canned ones are used.

Occasionally a recipe calls for the soaked beans to be cooked with the ingredients of the dish so I'd not use canned then.

Incidentally, with the sole exception of one recipe which I haven't tried, I have never come across a recipe that required you to put the dried beans, unsoaked in with the rest of the ingredients. Unless the recipe states categorically that you should do this, it's always better to soak them. It saves both time and fuel in cooking. I tend to soak overnight because that suits me but with most beans you can bring them to the boil and leave them for an hour or so to soften. (I find that this method doesn't work well with soya beans which need to be soaked from cold and can take forever!)

When the soaking is finished, throw away the soaking water and cook in fresh water. This avoids the less anti-social effects of eating beans, if you know what I mean.

You can freeze the cooked beans if it suits you to boil/simmer more than you need fro one meal and this is more economical than just cooking enough for one or two people.

And if I have time to plan I cook my soaked dries beans in the slow cooker. I have used the pressure cooker but if you aren't careful with the timing they can go to mus before you have chance to turn round.
Durr! I meant "....MORE anti-social effects of eating beans...."!!!

Tags
beans